+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Are there any cross border commuters here who worked remotely from their home in Canada for part year in 2022 and traveled for work to the US once the border was fully open? How did you file your Canadian taxes? Did you take full foreign tax credit for FICA (social security and Medicare)?

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
@swan0206 I have visited the US and have followed what u said. No issue so far except my last visit in the last weekend.

So, just to give u a quick overview. I moved to Canada in October and after that I visited US once in November in a weekend (many questions asked and ultimately things went thru), January for 3 days during the weekdays(no questions asked and no I-797 asked), April during a weekday for a few mins to return some office stuff at a UPS store (just asked where I am heading to but as I was afraid about mentioning of the actual reason, I mentioned that I am traveling to Oklahoma as I need to attend the office), again in April after about 5 days since my last visit (There was a lady officer and she was asking how frequently I travel, I mentioned I travel based on the project needs. Then she reviewed my history and might have found that I just traveled 5 days ago, again she told isn't it hectic to travel weekly and why don't I live in Oklahoma itself. I said I am PR in Canada and I just travel whenever we have discussions related to architecture. Again she asked for how long I will stay. I actually traveled during the weekend to bring some stuff back from Oklahoma and there was no other reason. But I mentioned I will go for about a week and come back. Then she let me go).

@swan0206 Do u have any suggestions or comments on my way of handling this? Please take time to read thru and get back
@swan0206 Ca u pls review and share your thoughts

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi-
As a daily commuter, do we have to declare daily (8 to 5 work) trips to US while applying online for citizenship at Physical Presence step? I have about 700 daily work trips in last 3 years to US.
Or should I just make an excel spreadsheet by mentioning all those daily trips and explain in Optional Documents section at the end?
Thanks

Reactions: canadavisaapplicant

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Hi-
As a daily commuter, do we have to declare daily (8 to 5 work) trips to US while applying online for citizenship at Physical Presence step? I have about 700 daily work trips in last 3 years to US.
Or should I just make an excel spreadsheet by mentioning all those daily trips and explain in Optional Documents section at the end?
Thanks
Per the instructions, you've got to list all of your absences including day trips on the application. Easiest way is to use the online physical presence calculator but you can do it in excel or word too. The online calculator is official and probably more reliable/acceptable

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Per the instructions, you've got to list all of your absences including day trips on the application. Easiest way is to use the online physical presence calculator but you can do it in excel or word too. The online calculator is official and probably more reliable/acceptable
So if I go with online calculator, I basically have to manually enter all of those 700 daily trips online. Correct?
Also, when I go on CBP i94 website to access my travel record, it keeps giving me error saying "No record found for traveler". Any other ways to get travel records?

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, unfortunately every entry has to be typed unless you can automate it in some way through a web script or something.
Thanks for prompt response.
When I go on CBP i94 website to access my travel record, it keeps giving me error saying "No record found for traveler". I used to see it about 7-8 months ago. Any other ways to get travel records from CBP? I know I can apply on CBSA website but it takes about 30 days before we get the travel history.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks for prompt response.
When I go on CBP i94 website to access my travel record, it keeps giving me error saying "No record found for traveler". I used to see it about 7-8 months ago. Any other ways to get travel records from CBP? I know I can apply on CBSA website but it takes about 30 days before we get the travel history.
There system occasionally messes. Happened to me a few times in the past and then got fixed on its own. Make sure you're entering the correct details, and if you renewed your passport recently, then try to enter older passport details and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise, call CBP and see if they can give you more details. You can request Your travel history from CBP as well under FOIA

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

Tintin23

May 7, 2023
Hi Everyone,
Need some help here.
So I recently got a PR.
My H1-B for WFH got approved.
So, I want to move to Niagara side and my LCA is with DE.
1)What would be the best way to handle this?
2) If I move, should I ask employer to change LCA and file a new petition?
3) Is it true that, we have to have a office and residence in USA if we want to work on H1-B?
4) Will there be a problem, if I move now and later change my LCA like after one year?

Thank you.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So I am listing all the entries, started from early 2020. If I enter some of the days (daily work trips) based on assumption and later if it turns out I never left Canada on those days, will that be just fine as I am over declaring the daily trips? In other words, I am entering most of the days in 2020 as daily work trips (during COVID time), but I do not remember if I really crossed the border or I was just working from home.
(I still cannot access travel history and already ordered the FOIA but I do not want to wait for it and I have enough buffer past 1095 requirement).
Pls advise.

Thanks

May 9, 2023
Hello Everyone,
I just came across this beautiful community where people are helping each other with their own experience of daily crossing between Detroit-Windor. My story is kinda similar and i am in a pickle, not sure how to go about this. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
I am a H1B visa holder (Fulltime Work From Home situation, submitted my Ann Arbor, MI address on H1B and PERM LCA). My wife is a Canadian PR holder. She did her soft landing in 2019, stayed there for hardly 6months. so she needs to stay for 2 more years to at least get the PR extension and thats why she is short on time and needs to move to windsor asap. She works Full time in Michigan WFO so she will have to do the daily commute to MI. My company has started my US PR in December. They are going to file my PERM this month (which i have come to know is taking over 9months now) and then they will file for I-140 once PERM is certified.
My question is:
1) Is it ok if i move to Windsor with my wife and do a daily commute to US with her while my PERM and I140 is in process.
2) What will be the implication on my my PERM application if they come to know that i am living in Windsor.

P.S. I cannot ask all these questions to my Company Attorney. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thank You.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Hi Everyone,
Need some help here.
So I recently got a PR.
My H1-B for WFH got approved.
So, I want to move to Niagara side and my LCA is with DE.
1)What would be the best way to handle this?
2) If I move, should I ask employer to change LCA and file a new petition?
3) Is it true that, we have to have a office and residence in USA if we want to work on H1-B?
4) Will there be a problem, if I move now and later change my LCA like after one year?

Thank you.

2) Yes - it will need change of work location
3) Dont have to have re
So I am listing all the entries, started from early 2020. If I enter some of the days (daily work trips) based on assumption and later if it turns out I never left Canada on those days, will that be just fine as I am over declaring the daily trips? In other words, I am entering most of the days in 2020 as daily work trips (during COVID time), but I do not remember if I really crossed the border or I was just working from home.
(I still cannot access travel history and already ordered the FOIA but I do not want to wait for it and I have enough buffer past 1095 requirement).
Pls advise.

Thanks

I used travel history from CBP Site: - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
@swan0206 Ca u pls review and share your thoughts
If your commute place is too far and from the border like more than 4hours or approx and you tend to travel weekly then obviously its a Red flag for some officers( i wouldn't say for all, few of them really dont care). They tend to press on logical points which we want to avoid. But now that you have accumulated some travel history its obvious that you regularly cross this border majorly for work but no one remembers for what have you crossed your border last time. Mostly if you are not travelling to work you can tell them the actual reason( i would take that shot only in the evenings or during weekends). If you are travelling on a weekday for some other thing other than work that would trigger unnecessary questions. I have never tried that personally, if it was a holiday thats fine. Once i had to pickup relatives from US airport so i told them that i am picking up relatives from near by airport. I was crossing the border at 6pm then no extra questions asked. If you really wanna bring your stuff back better to travel on a weekend you can tell them that you are going for shopping or meeting friends incase if you do not want to give them actual reason. Sometimes you get weird questions like how i got two weeks ago while i was really going to friends place, "what was your nationality" this was the first time in last 2 years i got this question. lol.

Regular questions be like when you are crossing other than non-work purposes: Are you on H1b.
So you are just travelling to meet friends today but not to work? Yes
where are you meeting them
how do you know them
Where do you work.
What do yo do.

Good luck. sorry wasn't checking the forum for a while.opened just today.

May 9, 2023
Hello Everyone,
I just came across this beautiful community where people are helping each other with their own experience of daily crossing between Detroit-Windor. My story is kinda similar and i am in a pickle, not sure how to go about this. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
I am a H1B visa holder (Fulltime Work From Home situation, submitted my Ann Arbor, MI address on H1B and PERM LCA). My wife is a Canadian PR holder. She did her soft landing in 2019, stayed there for hardly 6months. so she needs to stay for 2 more years to at least get the PR extension and thats why she is short on time and needs to move to windsor asap. She works Full time in Michigan WFO so she will have to do the daily commute to MI. My company has started my US PR in December. They are going to file my PERM this month (which i have come to know is taking over 9months now) and then they will file for I-140 once PERM is certified.
My question is:
1) Is it ok if i move to Windsor with my wife and do a daily commute to US with her while my PERM and I140 is in process.
2) What will be the implication on my my PERM application if they come to know that i am living in Windsor.

P.S. I cannot ask all these questions to my Company Attorney. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thank You.
@swan0206 Can you please give some advice.