+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi all, I'll post a few things that might help you all out:
1. Regarding car, spend the $ to get a Canadian car otherwise you will get hassled by the border agents while entering Canada back saying you are a Canadian resident. Yes everyone knows that US has cheaper cars. As a "resident" you are expected to transfer your drivers license and get a car into that country. From your US license, its very simple to get a Canadian license, just make sure you have your drivers history. Also the US license does NOT get automatically cancelled, you may keep it active but are expected to only have one active. For a while, I had both a US and Canadian car and auto insurances in each countries because the border agents gave me such a hard time. This may not be kosher with the authorities.
2. Nexus is easy, get it. Takes a while. Make sure when you go to your interview that you can make your case. Apply online.
3. Daily commuters will eventually get recognized by border agents. It will make life simple. I-94s and CBSA travel histories may not reflect it, but the border agent will know you crossed yesterday and day before and so on.
4. You will have to file US taxes primarily. Claim it on your Canadian. Also remember to claim medicare/ss and other deductions. You don't have to pay double taxes. In my case in the last 7-8 years I double filed, it came out to be around $500-$1000 that I had to pay in Canada. Also claiming it will give you RRSP room for contribution. For simplicity, either don't contribute to 401k, or don't plan to bring it back anytime soon.
5. Regarding state taxes, best to either keep it at the border state you cross into, or at the office address. You don't need to cross every day if you don't have an office. But you can easily get a shared office space or regus meeting room and use it.
6. There are many many mail forwarding options. Better to just use mailrooms and pickup when locally there.
7. You can decline US health insurance. Get Canadian provincial health insurance.
8. Be ok with the fact that all of this may impact your green card application, if you care too much about that, don't move to Canada.
9. If you are planning to get Canadian citizenship, you will be heavily heavily scrutinized for all of this. It's not like the PR situation, someone will look at your file and question you about what good you are doing for Canada. If you don't really live in Canada, don't work in Canada, pay decent taxes etc. your case will be a lot weaker. For PR renewals, as long as you meet residency requirements, no one cares about the other aspects.
10. Border agents will often scrutinize you if you are away for extended periods. Even though CIC says 2/5 years as requirement, they will ask you a million questions if you are out for 6 months or 1 year. For them, anything more than 3-6 months is questionable. If you are extremely worried, take the Amtrak, the agents don't always check your travel history on it.
11. Getting to establish a Canadian credit history will be way harder than you think since you may have reportable income, but no employers who report to your credit file. Now if you want to buy a house, you may want to do so in Canada. So it becomes a Catch 22.
12. TD Canada and TD USA are not the same. They don't talk to each other. The only cross border bank that I have seen is HSBC, but they are a crappy bank to begin with.

Ok now, if you guys find a good tax accountant, let me know.
Hi,

Thanks for your informative post.
Are you still commuting daily with your H1B? Do they give you any trouble at the border for doing this?
I'm moving in about 2 months and trying to research any foreseeable issues. Thanks!

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Can someone who moved to Canada recently in the last year quickly summarize a To Do List before leaving the U.S. for good? Making the second biggest move of my life yet to Canada with family next month.
Like anything that would be helpful to do while still in the U.S. or before making the move.

Here is my status:
1) Almost 9+ years on H1B with approved 140 PD 2012 EB2-I. 11+ years in U.S. as of this writing.
2) For now will be working for current employer from home in Canada at least for the next year as we are planning on staying in Windsor and I'm sure I will not find a better job in a small city like that.
3) Wife will commute to Detroit for work everyday. Applied for Nexus just last week.
4) Should start looking for elementary schools for daughter in Windsor.

Can someone also help me with information about finding a nice place in Windsor which is close to the border? Price is not an issue as long as it is in a safe neighborhood and looks good. Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks!

battousai

Feb 15, 2018
I genuinely want to thank everyone who contributed to this post, this is one of the most informative posts ever ! I have been intending to do the Windsor-Detroit commute as well, and would do it with or without Nexus anyhow. It seems to me that it all depends on luck with Nexus-- some have gotten it even without the 3 year residency requirement, some have not.

I also am wondering that with the recent loosening of Citizenship criteria set during the Conservative Era, the "Ties to Canada phrase" got eased a little bit. If anyone received a citzenship by doing this commute, I would like to know their story.

battousai

Feb 15, 2018
Someone replied to my comment saying:
" What do you mean by received citizenship? You need to meet the stay requirements to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
READ, READ, READ, READ ...before posting"

They deleted their comment afterwards. I can assure everyone that I have intently read everyone's comment in this thread, and did not want to seem ignorant. I am aware of the residency requirements, and I see several comments stating that people have been doing this commute for 4 years. I merely wanted to know their experience with their Citizenship application. I am sure others have this question in their mind too ! But if my question seems ignorant for some reason, I kindly ask to be excused.

Thanks.

pr131985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2018
Detroit
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
13-06-2018
AOR Received.
09-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2019
LANDED..........
15-06-2019
Great thread everybody. There is a lot of valuable information in this post.

To all those doing commute between Detroit and Windsor, I have couple of questions.

1. If you deny your employer provided health insurance and keep OHIP as your main insurance, what options you have for emergency care in US?

2. What happens to the US state/city taxes deducted from your pay check? Do you get it refunded as you are not resident of MI/Detroit anymore?

Thanks.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your informative post.
Are you still commuting daily with your H1B? Do they give you any trouble at the border for doing this?
I'm moving in about 2 months and trying to research any foreseeable issues. Thanks!
They would not give problems, as long as your job , company is genuine. Depending on the officer, you may get a secondary inspection.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great thread everybody. There is a lot of valuable information in this post.

To all those doing commute between Detroit and Windsor, I have couple of questions.

1. If you deny your employer provided health insurance and keep OHIP as your main insurance, what options you have for emergency care in US?

2. What happens to the US state/city taxes deducted from your pay check? Do you get it refunded as you are not resident of MI/Detroit anymore?

Thanks.
1. You need to talk to your employer, if you want to defer/deny coverage. You can deny it, but then you will have to declare in the US income tax documents that you denied the coverage. Also, based on distilled experience, it makes sense to have dental coverage.

2. You will still have to pay US/State/City Taxes. If you work in Detroit city, then the previous statement holds, true. When you file your taxes, it will depend if you file as a Non resident. Your CPA will be able to help you on that. US-Canada have tax treaties, so filing taxes is not a big problem.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can someone who moved to Canada recently in the last year quickly summarize a To Do List before leaving the U.S. for good? Making the second biggest move of my life yet to Canada with family next month.
Like anything that would be helpful to do while still in the U.S. or before making the move.

Here is my status:
1) Almost 9+ years on H1B with approved 140 PD 2012 EB2-I. 11+ years in U.S. as of this writing.
2) For now will be working for current employer from home in Canada at least for the next year as we are planning on staying in Windsor and I'm sure I will not find a better job in a small city like that.
3) Wife will commute to Detroit for work everyday. Applied for Nexus just last week.
4) Should start looking for elementary schools for daughter in Windsor.

Can someone also help me with information about finding a nice place in Windsor which is close to the border? Price is not an issue as long as it is in a safe neighborhood and looks good. Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks!
4) The apartments next to the river ( Closer to the Tunnel) is a good option. If your wife is working in downtown detroit, then there is bus which goes between the border and it costs $10 for a day pass ( Monthly pass is even lesser) Let me know, if you need more help on that one.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
So here is my situation. I work for a Detroit based manufacturing company. My company is transferring me to Toronto branch to take a new project for a year on ICT. My question is if it is possible to travel via road from Windsor to Detroit on US B1/B2 visa once in a while to have meetings/presentations. If yes how does I94 thing work. I dont want to stay in US for more than 1 or 2 days on a single trip.

Note I am Indian Citizen, No Canada PR, Canada ICT and US B1 visa. I really appreciate your help.
I have friends who have done it. But then, they have previously, studied, worked and lived in the US, before moving to Canada. However, they had Canadian PR. I am not sure, how would it work with Canadian ICT.

As long as your intentions are to return back, I do not think it will be a problem. In case of doubt, consult, an immigration lawyer, and bill it to your employer. I would have done that, if I were you, if things were not clear.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
For those of you commuting daily from Windsor to Detroit for work, where are the safest places to live in Windsor that are convenient when crossing the border. Since I'll be working in Warren, MI it looks like taking the tunnel would be most convenient in terms of screening and traffic. I understand close to the tunnel is NOT the safest of places. How about downtown? Riverside East? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Anything closer to Tunnel or Bridge is convenient. Also, Windsor is not that huge, so you can still live pretty much anywhere closer to the river.

IMHO, bridge does not get crazy busy. Also, they have cameras which will tell the average waiting time. http://www.dwtunnel.com/Cameras.aspx

Let me know if you have more questions.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Anything closer to Tunnel or Bridge is convenient. Also, Windsor is not that huge, so you can still live pretty much anywhere closer to the river.

IMHO, bridge does not get crazy busy. Also, they have cameras which will tell the average waiting time. http://www.dwtunnel.com/Cameras.aspx

Let me know if you have more questions.
Thank you! I ended up getting a place downtown and love the location. I guess I'll have to monitor the cameras for traffic.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Thank you! I ended up getting a place downtown and love the location. I guess I'll have to monitor the cameras for traffic.
Hi, moving in three weeks with Family. Could you please share where you found the place? Any other tips in finding a place will be very helpful.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
If you switch to T mobile, then Data, Text and Calls are free in Canada.
Do you know if the coverage is good for T-Mobile in Windsor area? And what is the catch with data/text being free? I mean if they find out that the primary location of the user is in Canada and they are not just visiting, would they just terminate the connection?