+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
1. Yes just leave and keep it as it is. No issues.
2. To use an ID in the banks in US, its better take your passport as some branches/bankers will say ok for Canadian ID and some dont.
Other than that you dont need US identification hence you dont need ID from US.
3. Yes, just continue as usual as per view.
Just declare income in your 1040 and you should be good.
4. Yes. Refer this link for taxes and exemptions https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/taxes-payroll-working-in-us-living-in-windsor.551077/
5. You can use H1 for visit/leisure purpose during weekends/anytime but watch for covid restrictions if they have any ban on non-essential trips.

Dont ask me for any rulebooks and links.
Thanks for your response.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
3. Yes, just continue as usual as per view.
Just declare income in your 1040 and you should be good.
Are you sure he can invest in the brokerage account even after moving to US?? Is investing in brokerage account different than trading when you change your country of residence? Because for you to trade they do not allow if you are not a resident of US but how come he can continue investing in his US brokerage acc/ he can invest but cannot take out the money if needed?

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Are you sure he can invest in the brokerage account even after moving to US?? Is investing in brokerage account different than trading when you change your country of residence? Because for you to trade they do not allow if you are not a resident of US but how come he can continue investing in his US brokerage acc/ he can invest but cannot take out the money if needed?
https://www.mybanktracker.com/blog/investing/non-us-resident-brokerage-accounts-309858

This very recent article is what I found which says it's completely fine to do it.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Reactions: spikyshotgun

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Check with a cross-border tax expert or a CA before you do this.
Here is the related link where folks have previously discussed : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/401k-us-stocks-and-us-bank-accounts.489101/
You are correct. I checked with Charles Schwab regarding international brokerage account. While they do offer international brokerage accounts for people in most foreign countries (example, someone with Indian residential address), Canada is specifically excluded from that list due to tax issues. So, no personal brokerage account for people with Canadian address.

He did say, the exception is retirement accounts as they aren't taxed.

Reactions: swan0206

GurpreetKalra23

Aug 31, 2020
I have read few pages of this thread but could not find someone in similar boat so asking the question

I am on L1 A Visa in United States and my company would be filing for GC most likely in Q2 2022. I am an applicant of Canadian PR and intend to stay in Canada( to have Canadian education for my kid, bring my parents etc.). How Can I continue to work for United States post moving to Canada. My work is remote.

1. Can I commute daily ? I do not have stamped visa but I 797 is good till June 2023
2. Will it hinder my GC process ? If yes, should I stay near the border in US and try to travel to Canada on weekends, holidays etc till I get my GC
3. Can I travel daily once I get GC ?

banparv

May 17, 2018
All - I have a quick question on the visa stamping with Ottawa consulate for my H1B visa. I filled the DS160 form and then tried to schedule the interview at NVC website. Somehow, when answered all the questions about the visa category etc. in the NVC interview scheduling portal and paid the fee, NVC waived my interview and asked me to send the documents directly. I never had my stamping done in Canada earlier and I am a permanent resident in Canada. I have 2 questions on this:

1. Did it happen to anyone else as well that interview was waived even though visa was not stamped in Canada earlier?
2. If yes, how long does NVC take to process the documents and send me back the passport with stamped visa?

TIA.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Wrong thread, but

1. Yes
2. Depends, but usually between 4-6 weeks. Appts have been faster.

All - I have a quick question on the visa stamping with Ottawa consulate for my H1B visa. I filled the DS160 form and then tried to schedule the interview at NVC website. Somehow, when answered all the questions about the visa category etc. in the NVC interview scheduling portal and paid the fee, NVC waived my interview and asked me to send the documents directly. I never had my stamping done in Canada earlier and I am a permanent resident in Canada. I have 2 questions on this:

1. Did it happen to anyone else as well that interview was waived even though visa was not stamped in Canada earlier?
2. If yes, how long does NVC take to process the documents and send me back the passport with stamped visa?

TIA.

quickili29

Nov 1, 2021
I have lived in US for 6 years on F1 until March 2020. Later moved to Canada on PR and currently work for Canadian company. My husband is on h1 and lives in Detroit. I plan to rent a place in Windsor and continue working for my existing company and commute daily to Detroit end of the day on h4.
It would be great if someone can help me with the below questions -
Do I have to pay taxes to both the countries?
Do you see any challenge crossing the border daily on H4?
What's preferred to commute the tunnel or nexus card?
Are there any other challenges in doing so?

THank you

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I have lived in US for 6 years on F1 until March 2020. Later moved to Canada on PR and currently work for Canadian company. My husband is on h1 and lives in Detroit. I plan to rent a place in Windsor and continue working for my existing company and commute daily to Detroit end of the day on h4.
It would be great if someone can help me with the below questions -
Do I have to pay taxes to both the countries?
Do you see any challenge crossing the border daily on H4?
What's preferred to commute the tunnel or nexus card?
Are there any other challenges in doing so?

THank you
Have seen H1s crossing border daily but not H4s. Though yours is a different scenario altogether , going to meet spouse, how do you justify your residency? Not sure what impact it has on your future applications like PR extensions and Citizenship though, how long do you plan to do so? Keeping aside future applications & stuff if you are thinking to drive daily like how you planned its going to be really strenuous on a long run. Considering both the places where you live on either sides just 10mins away is then its definitely doable but if its anywhere between 30min -1hr then you can think of it.

Reactions: quickili29

quickili29

Nov 1, 2021
Have seen H1s crossing border daily but not H4s. Though yours is a different scenario altogether , going to meet spouse, how do you justify your residency? Not sure what impact it has on your future applications like PR extensions and Citizenship though, how long do you plan to do so? Keeping aside future applications & stuff if you are thinking to drive daily like how you planned its going to be really strenuous on a long run. Considering both the places where you live on either sides just 10mins away is then its definitely doable but if its anywhere between 30min -1hr then you can think of it.
Justifying residency- I am a permanent virtual Canadian employee. I am renting a place and I am marking my presence daily in Canada. Shouldn't this be good? Hopefully 8am - 6pm is counted as a day towards my citizenship, right?
Planning on doing this until I complete 1095 days quota. That's around a year
We both plan to be around the border to reduce the commute time. What commute options do we have currently if not by car?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Justifying residency- I am a permanent virtual Canadian employee. I am renting a place and I am marking my presence daily in Canada. Shouldn't this be good? Hopefully 8am - 6pm is counted as a day towards my citizenship, right?
That is right.
Planning on doing this until I complete 1095 days quota. That's around a year
We both plan to be around the border to reduce the commute time. What commute options do we have currently if not by car?
Ok.
Haven't got any clue about H4s travelling daily to US. May be someone who has done this before only can give you correct info. you can do this daily by car only considering the travel time. Bus is also an option but doesn't fit for daily travels.

Akshay14

Sep 1, 2021
I have an approved i797(employer change) with valid i94 but an expired H1B visa stamp.
I am currently in US and planning to take a flight to Canada for a 2 week visit and plant to use AVR to return to US via road (Ambassador bridge Windsor -Detroit)
What are my options to travel from Canada to US via road? I see one way rental is not an option from various forums. Is there a bus or a taxi option to cross the border and how would immigration formalities be done in that scenario.

Looking forward to hear any recent experiences at the Windsor-Detroit border bridge for AVR.

onkar_ob77

Nov 15, 2021
I have an approved i797(employer change) with valid i94 but an expired H1B visa stamp.
I am currently in US and planning to take a flight to Canada for a 2 week visit and plant to use AVR to return to US via road (Ambassador bridge Windsor -Detroit)
What are my options to travel from Canada to US via road? I see one way rental is not an option from various forums. Is there a bus or a taxi option to cross the border and how would immigration formalities be done in that scenario.

Looking forward to hear any recent experiences at the Windsor-Detroit border bridge for AVR.
Uber/lyft will probably cancel your ride. We used a taxi service to cross border from windsor and they charge $100 just to cross border. Here's the number- 586-522-8401