+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

justinline

May 19, 2009
i got my Canadian citizenship and planning to work in Michigan now (industrial engineering in automotive sector). how to find jobs in states ? directly or via consultant? any help will be appreciated . thanks
Are you in Windsor? Go and talk to Aerotek and Kelly Services there. For hardcore Manufacturing or Automotive jobs they place people in US. I am assuming you are eligible for TN visa besides the Canadian passport. If so they are your best bet to get into Michigan job market. You can apply directly as well no harm.

Cecoct2017

Oct 13, 2017
Are you in Windsor? Go and talk to Aerotek and Kelly Services there. For hardcore Manufacturing or Automotive jobs they place people in US. I am assuming you are eligible for TN visa besides the Canadian passport. If so they are your best bet to get into Michigan job market. You can apply directly as well no harm.
Thanks for taking time and replying me. i live in windsor and just became canadian citizen. I am looking for automotive engineering jobs in michigan. how to check if i am eligible for TN? dont i need offer letter for that. thanks again

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
I am planning to use AVR to enter USA. Let me know which documents i should carry for re-entry? Also, AVR is valid for land as well as air travel right?

My mother is currently in US staying with my brother. She has a Canadian Visitors visa. Are people with visitors visa allowed to enter Canada via US Canada land border?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thanks for taking time and replying me. i live in windsor and just became canadian citizen. I am looking for automotive engineering jobs in michigan. how to check if i am eligible for TN? dont i need offer letter for that. thanks again
Make sure your education and job offer both qualify for TN category. Other than that TN is pretty straight forward affair. Most likely you will be going for one of the Engineering profession, so having relevant education and and job offer letter how that job qualifies for that particular Engineering field is important. The officers at the border are pretty dense, I remember a case last year, where they refused Industrial Engineering back ground guy who was into PLM Teamcenter implementation, they kept insisting its a Computer Systems Analyst job, when he asked all right give me Computer Systems Analyst category, they refused saying you do not have Computers background to qualify for that.

Also there is no education and experience equivalency as in H1b, so your experience of so many years cannot be used in lieu of education.

Last edited:

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
I am planning to use AVR to enter USA. Let me know which documents i should carry for re-entry? Also, AVR is valid for land as well as air travel right?

My mother is currently in US staying with my brother. She has a Canadian Visitors visa. Are people with visitors visa allowed to enter Canada via US Canada land border?
Yes from today people other than American Citizens and Green Card Holders can also travel conditioned they are fully vaccinated. But if you are planning to go to Canada to do soft landing and come back and bring your mother back with you I will suggest go alone and come back as US side can all ask much more to you. Just keep the process as simple as possible.

Reactions: CanucksRajiv

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Yes from today people other than American Citizens and Green Card Holders can also travel conditioned they are fully vaccinated. But if you are planning to go to Canada to do soft landing and come back and bring your mother back with you I will suggest go alone and come back as US side can all ask much more to you. Just keep the process as simple as possible.
What questions should i expect while re-entering US? I will show them i797 with i94, will they ask anything else? I will also keep employment verification letter from my employer. Do i need to do covid testing before entering US?

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
What questions should i expect while re-entering US? I will show them i797 with i94, will they ask anything else? I will also keep employment verification letter from my employer. Do i need to do covid testing before entering US?
Currently there is no requirement for that via land but keeping things handy is always good. I have just entered yesterday using AVR after doing my Soft Landing. Following is the link of my experience: Hope it helps
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/h1b-travel-to-usa-after-completing-soft-landing-in-canada.741549/post-9676646

Last edited:

Vicky11

Sep 25, 2018
@harirajmohan and other VIP, star, expert members - I am in need your suggestions to make sure I move to Canada in time to be able to save my PR in Canada and job in the US (Buffalo NY). Please respond to this post. Thanks in advance!

Here is my situation - My family has been planning to move to Canada (we have Canadian PR) for sometime now. Unfortunately, we have been postponing this move because of COVID and H1b visa renewal for sometime now. My last H1 visa expired in 2020 but latest I797 approval has a valid I-94 expiration date. I have been waiting for Toronto consulate to open up for visa stamping. Latest appointment that got available is in Sept 2022, which is way beyond my expectation as I am thinking of moving to Canada in a month or 2. So, getting a H1b visa stamping appointment in Canada is not really going to help my situation. I have been thinking of doing a regular commute between Toronto region to Buffalo, NY.

I am hoping to get some suggestions to find solution to this situation, Please suggest what would be a feasible solution from Option A or B or is there is another convenient path:

A. I am wondering whether applying for AVR is feasible here and have some questions listed below -

1. I am not sure whether AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) is the answer to my situation ? As I haven't applied for AVR before I am not sure whether AVR be approved for regular commute ?

2. I have no idea how easy or hard is to get AVR approval ? What are chances of AVR being denied ? Which AVR has more success (AVR applied by land or Air ) ? I believe if AVR is gets denied then only option is to apply for Non Immigrant visa in home country, please confirm.

3. If AVR is a feasible solution, please share process for applying AVR ? Do I need to apply for I-94 form for land crossing entry ? I am not sure whether this link of applying I-94 is all one has to do - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

4. Can Nexus card be applied based on regular AVR ?

B. If AVR is not solution to this situation, what other solution can be worked out - Would travel to Mexico City to get a H1b visa stamping be a better option ? Can anyone share their stamping experience in Mexico city ? How long it took , period of stay and all other information

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
@harirajmohan and other VIP, star, expert members - I am in need your suggestions to make sure I move to Canada in time to be able to save my PR in Canada and job in the US (Buffalo NY). Please respond to this post. Thanks in advance!

Here is my situation - My family has been planning to move to Canada (we have Canadian PR) for sometime now. Unfortunately, we have been postponing this move because of COVID and H1b visa renewal for sometime now. My last H1 visa expired in 2020 but latest I797 approval has a valid I-94 expiration date. I have been waiting for Toronto consulate to open up for visa stamping. Latest appointment that got available is in Sept 2022, which is way beyond my expectation as I am thinking of moving to Canada in a month or 2. So, getting a H1b visa stamping appointment in Canada is not really going to help my situation. I have been thinking of doing a regular commute between Toronto region to Buffalo, NY.

I am hoping to get some suggestions to find solution to this situation, Please suggest what would be a feasible solution from Option A or B or is there is another convenient path:

A. I am wondering whether applying for AVR is feasible here and have some questions listed below -

1. I am not sure whether AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) is the answer to my situation ? As I haven't applied for AVR before I am not sure whether AVR be approved for regular commute ?

2. I have no idea how easy or hard is to get AVR approval ? What are chances of AVR being denied ? Which AVR has more success (AVR applied by land or Air ) ? I believe if AVR is gets denied then only option is to apply for Non Immigrant visa in home country, please confirm.

3. If AVR is a feasible solution, please share process for applying AVR ? Do I need to apply for I-94 form for land crossing entry ? I am not sure whether this link of applying I-94 is all one has to do - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

4. Can Nexus card be applied based on regular AVR ?

B. If AVR is not solution to this situation, what other solution can be worked out - Would travel to Mexico City to get a H1b visa stamping be a better option ? Can anyone share their stamping experience in Mexico city ? How long it took , period of stay and all other information
AVR is solution for you to move back to Canada and can commute. You dont need stamping. WHile you wait for stamping you can use AVR.
AVR is an internal process for them to validate your status to check if you are maintaining your status in US(which is nothing but entering US on same visa class of your last status while you were in US).
You just need to carry all the documents how you would carry when you reenter US via flight after new stamping from your home country(I797, LCA, I129, recent payslips).
Make sure you inform your company that you are moving your residence to Canada so that if any officer verifies then it wont affect in any way.

There will be sometimes delay while crossing since few officers might not be experienced hence would cause 15-30 mins delay but you dont have choice since you need enter US via avr but you would be allowed(which is important). No choice to take some pain while not having stamping.

You are not the first person using AVR or to commute while waiting for visa. So no issues. Also you can just use it as long as you have valid I94 & Ii797 so even if it takes a year to get stamping then it should be fine.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hello Everyone

I have Canada PR card and planning to move to Canada in next month. I will be getting H4 visa stamped in Canada. My spouse will stay in US on H1B. So my aim is to do weekly travel between US and Canada. So wanted to understand if that is possible or if there are any quarantine rules. Also what are the requirements around Covid testing needs at US end and Canada end. Can we travel between Canada and US thru car or only flight are allowed these days ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello Everyone

I have Canada PR card and planning to move to Canada in next month. I will be getting H4 visa stamped in Canada. My spouse will stay in US on H1B. So my aim is to do weekly travel between US and Canada. So wanted to understand if that is possible or if there are any quarantine rules. Also what are the requirements around Covid testing needs at US end and Canada end. Can we travel between Canada and US thru car or only flight are allowed these days ?
H4: To visit your spouse you dont need H4. H4 is for people planning to become resident in US(that is, moving your home to US).
B: You should be getting B2.

H4 plan: Your plan wont work even if visa officer is not knowing your actual plan and stamped because you would get caught in your frequent travel in the first few trips itself. So you should plan based on that or you can take chances and stop commuting once you are giving warning. So choice is yours.

B/H visa: For now US is allowing only essential reasons. I dont think that if meeting family member is essential as Canada and US were not allowing meeting family members during the ban on non-essentials on both sides. So currently Canada lifted but not US hence ban will be applicable to you as far as i understand. It doesnt matter which visa you hold but essential reason is different thant what visa you hold.
Lets weigh in if other members are traveling currently to visit family members in US.

Vicky11

Sep 25, 2018
AVR is solution for you to move back to Canada and can commute. You dont need stamping. WHile you wait for stamping you can use AVR.
AVR is an internal process for them to validate your status to check if you are maintaining your status in US(which is nothing but entering US on same visa class of your last status while you were in US).
You just need to carry all the documents how you would carry when you reenter US via flight after new stamping from your home country(I797, LCA, I129, recent payslips).

Make sure you inform your company that you are moving your residence to Canada so that if any officer verifies then it wont affect in any way.

There will be sometimes delay while crossing since few officers might not be experienced hence would cause 15-30 mins delay but you dont have choice since you need enter US via avr but you would be allowed(which is important). No choice to take some pain while not having stamping.

You are not the first person using AVR or to commute while waiting for visa. So no issues. Also you can just use it as long as you have valid I94 & Ii797 so even if it takes a year to get stamping then it should be fine.
Thanks @harirajmohan! This is really helpful.

I have few more comments / questions if you could please respond or clarify that as well.

1. Is AVR done every time I cross the border for regular commute ? I mean would I need to appear for interview every time I cross border ?

2. I am not sure whether I can apply Nexus card based on AVR.

3. I believe one would need to carry all the documents everytime border is crossed by land. Please confirm.

4. Can you please share process to apply for AVR ? Do I need to book appointment and appear for interview at port of entry by applying for I-94 form at the port of entry ? please refer think link - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks @harirajmohan! This is really helpful.

I have few more comments / questions if you could please respond or clarify that as well.

1. Is AVR done every time I cross the border for regular commute ? I mean would I need to appear for interview every time I cross border ?

2. I am not sure whether I can apply Nexus card based on AVR.

3. I believe one would need to carry all the documents everytime border is crossed by land. Please confirm.

4. Can you please share process to apply for AVR ? Do I need to book appointment and appear for interview at port of entry by applying for I-94 form at the port of entry ? please refer think link - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

Thanks
1. I already mentioned that you can use it for commuting. No interview but questions on where you stay and where you are going and what company and what job etc.
2. You dont need visa to apply for nexus. You need regular commute between countries and the legal documents to prove that you have reason to cross border at either side. If you are resident in one/both of these countries then you can apply nexus. You can apply after PR activation and closer to moving since you have valid reason saying you are going to move and commute. If you apply now then you can prove your reasons to travel frequently.
3. #2. AVR is nothing to do with nexus.
4. Refer #2 again.
AVR is internal process and the responsibility of CBP. Its not for you to worry. Just carry your documents i listed.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1218?language=en_US

We are not personal consultants. Please dont ask more than once on the same thing. You should be contacting your lawyer for personal guarantees.