+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Hello Detroit and Windsor Guys,

Since this group has many indian people who had experience in living in US and Canada, I would like to ask your perspective with respect to livelihood in windsor.

As far as my experience in concern the Detroit is very unsafe place in US, is it same in Windsor.

Is Windsor is ok to live with family ? I heard a lot about HomeLess people, Crime, theft and snatching, Do you guys recommend this place to live ?

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Hello Detroit and Windsor Guys,

Since this group has many indian people who had experience in living in US and Canada, I would like to ask your perspective with respect to livelihood in windsor.

As far as my experience in concern the Detroit is very unsafe place in US, is it same in Windsor.

Is Windsor is ok to live with family ? I heard a lot about HomeLess people, Crime, theft and snatching, Do you guys recommend this place to live ?
I had similar apprehensions so I initially stayed alone for couple of months and after I have shifted my family here.Its not a lively place depending on where you are living now but I don't think safety is a concern here.

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
I had similar apprehensions so I initially stayed alone for couple of months and after I have shifted my family here.Its not a lively place depending on where you are living now but I don't think safety is a concern here.
great and thanks for sharing the experience, definitely it will add to my comfort level before planning to move in Windsor area.

Dptpradeep

Nov 2, 2019
Hello,

H1b in USA and PR in Canada. I have 2 questions:

1) H1b Extension:
In such case how does one extend his/her H1b when it nears expiry, because H1b extension is for H1b holders in USA whose visa nears expiration. In case of daily commuter from Canada we dont live in USA to extend H1b, so what are our options?

2) US Green Card filing to extend H1b beyond 6 years
Is there an option for Canada commuters to file US Green Card and extend the H1b beyond 6 years? or should the H1b stay in USA to start the PERM and I-140 process?

Thanks
Hi,
I have the same question. Any response to this question?
Thanks

Dptpradeep

Nov 2, 2019
Hello,

H1b in USA and PR in Canada. I have 2 questions:

1) H1b Extension:
In such case how does one extend his/her H1b when it nears expiry, because H1b extension is for H1b holders in USA whose visa nears expiration. In case of daily commuter from Canada we dont live in USA to extend H1b, so what are our options?

2) US Green Card filing to extend H1b beyond 6 years
Is there an option for Canada commuters to file US Green Card and extend the H1b beyond 6 years? or should the H1b stay in USA to start the PERM and I-140 process?

Thanks
Hi,
I have the same question. Any response to this question?
Thanks.
You may not get the I94 with I797 approval....not a big deal.
There is no requirement to be in US, to start GC. You don't even have to be employed by the company filling GC.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
H1B petition (new employment, continuation of employment, change of employer) are all the same thing - a request by the employer to allow the employee to work for them in a specific position. The employee's current location and work don't really matter much for this part.

Some petitions have a second part of extending or changing the employee's non-immigrant status if they are already in the US. This is an optional part and does not affect the main part of the petition. In case of commuters, it is up to the USCIS officer's discretion to approve the petition with or without I-94. There is no 'rule' governing this. Extension of status is a 'benefit' and not a 'right'.

If the beneficiary (employee) has already spent more than 6 years in the US in H1/L1 status combined, then the beneficiary must have an approved I-140 (or PERM pending more than 1 year), to get an extension beyond 6 years. PERM and I-140 are for future employment and can be filed for anybody irrespective of their location or employment status.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi
I am in a unique situation as my 6 th year of h1b is about to be over and have my i140 approved.I am employed in indianapolis but plan to wfh in detroit for 2 weeks and 1 week in indianapolis out a month.
Will a daily commute situation in this case be feasible with the nexus card or do you think that cbp can detain me if i tell i will be wfh in detroit eventhough my employer is in indiana.
Please advise.
This forum has been a blessing.
Thanks and Regards
Praik

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for assisting here. I got the PR card and ready to move to Windsor.
My query is regarding Super Visa for parents and I totally understand this thread is not for super Visa. But I tried searching almost everywhere and couldn't get a clear answer to my query.

My query is- In order to apply super Visa for parents, we need to show our paychecks, employment letter and tax documents. Since I am working in US and not in Canada, can I show US employment to invite parents to canada on super Visa?
Please assist in this matter.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi
I am in a unique situation as my 6 th year of h1b is about to be over and have my i140 approved.I am employed in indianapolis but plan to wfh in detroit for 2 weeks and 1 week in indianapolis out a month.
Will a daily commute situation in this case be feasible with the nexus card or do you think that cbp can detain me if i tell i will be wfh in detroit eventhough my employer is in indiana.
Please advise.
This forum has been a blessing.
Thanks and Regards
Praik
Your employer has to submit a new LCA and amend the H1B petition to add the second work location. This is irrespective of your Canada commute.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for assisting here. I got the PR card and ready to move to Windsor.
My query is regarding Super Visa for parents and I totally understand this thread is not for super Visa. But I tried searching almost everywhere and couldn't get a clear answer to my query.

My query is- In order to apply super Visa for parents, we need to show our paychecks, employment letter and tax documents. Since I am working in US and not in Canada, can I show US employment to invite parents to canada on super Visa?
Please assist in this matter.
Most likely it will not work. But there should be no harm in trying.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Most likely it will not work. But there should be no harm in trying.
Thanks for the response. If I try and gets rejected then it will be difficult for parents to get any other visa.
Didn't anybody who is Canada PR and working in US apply super visa for their parents here by showing US employment?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for the response. If I try and gets rejected then it will be difficult for parents to get any other visa.
Didn't anybody who is Canada PR and working in US apply super visa for their parents here by showing US employment?
They can get the normal TRV first and then apply for super visa.

Sep 30, 2019
Hello guys,

I am a PR and currently, I am living in Windsor, ON, Canada. Also, I have L2 visa for the U.S.

Can I apply for EAD to work in the U.S and keep living in Windsor?

In the form to ask for EAD (form i-765), there are two questions:
1. Your U.S Mailing Address
2. U.S Physical Address

As I am living in Windsor, Canada. What should I put in this case?

Thank you in advance!