+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

gtvisa2020

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Plus if one happen to leave US for any of those reasons, our kids need to grow up in India. I don't want that.

I may be overthinking or over worrying or things could go wrong in any place, but reading the news on rampant sexual abuses or rapes, it feels India is a terrible place for women and to raise children. I know we all grew up there, but things seem to be happening at an alarming rate these days.

I hate to say this, but our people have very little compassion for others, very little ethics in every little walk of life, and just corrupt to the core. Businesses just try to exploit customers as much they can by pricing high with no focus on quality or service. Even a street vendor tries to overprice you for vegetables if he knows that you work in IT or you are a NRI.

Schools just charge a bomb as fees and try to suck money in every possible way from parents who earn well. Donation, building funds, what not.

Everyone who goes to India comes back with similar opinion, and feel more like settling in US after every India trip, when it has to be other way due to nostalgia.

People in West on the other hand seem to have much better values, way more honest and genuine. I presume growing up in a rich country makes all of that happen. Since everything is available in abandunt, nobody grows with a mindset of 'jugaad' to get things done.

Canada outscores India clearly in those aspects, and definitely scores as good or even better than US in many of those yard sticks. Being on PR means you have control of your life and can truly dictate where you 'want' to live, and not just count on stars or USCIS to take every step in life.
Thank you for the thoughtful response, man. I couldn't agree more about ethical part of the argument. That is basically coming from a place of "plenty to go around, so lets just be ethical and civil". Eastern countries on the other hand...

gtvisa2020

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
What is you get laid off? Especially after you are 6+ years on H1B and need to renew you VISA in the near future. Finding a new job is stressful and you have to keep a check on I140 being filed, etc. I know there are ways around it, but its a huge burden. Also, I personally will keep trying in Canada, but for now I don't want to keep losing days on the PR residency obligation. These of course are my reasons and I totally understand folks will have their own opinions.
Not to back into a corner, for the most part, people here are past six year and I140 approval phase. And if you are let go, you have 60 days to find another job.

But as I have mentioned in other replies, these questions are moot now.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Not to back into a corner, for the most part, people here are past six year and I140 approval phase. And if you are let go, you have 60 days to find another job.

But as I have mentioned in other replies, these questions are moot now.
Are you currently living in Canada and doing daily commute?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Were you living in Canada on 3 years as a PR? Or did your 3 years on H1b count?
Doesnt matter if you spent 3 years on one side or spent combined on both sides.

2016, with 4 years spent in US but last 2 years and 2 months without leaving US and Canada (few short trips in Canada): Before moving i applied to test. They returned my application with a letter saying i had to stay in US and/or Canada continuously (the painful part) for 3 years.
If you call on either side of the border then they might say that you need to be for 3 years after PR which is not true. When i called they told like that. So apply after 3 years on both/either side.
2017 - moved to Canada. After 10 months i applied again and i received the approval.

You just need to be legally on both sides. So any visa period works as long as you have purpose to cross the border frequently.

Last edited:

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Were you living in Canada on 3 years as a PR? Or did your 3 years on H1b count?
I had just moved to Canada in PR but had been living in the US for over 3 years on F1.
You need to have lived in either country legally for at least 3 years, and be admissible to enter both.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Doesnt matter if you spent 3 years on one side or spent combined on both sides.

2016, with 4 years spent in US but last 2 years and 2 months without leaving US and Canada (few short trips in Canada): Before moving i applied to test. They returned my application with a letter saying i had to stay in US and/or Canada continuously (the painful part) for 3 years.
If you call on either side of the border then they might say that you need to be for 3 years after PR which is not true. When i called they told like that. So apply after 3 years on both/either side.
2017 - moved to Canada. After 10 months i applied again and i received the approval.

You just need to be legally on both sides. So any visa period works as long as you have purpose to cross the border frequently.
Yea I was wondering how strict they were about that lame continuous 3 year stay. I mean even a week of international vacation gives you a big F in the application. On searching, seems like some folks got it without that 3 year CONTINUOUS stay.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I had just moved to Canada in PR but had been living in the US for over 3 years on F1.
You need to have lived in either country legally for at least 3 years, and be admissible to enter both.
You had lived for 3 years in US/Canada, without once leaving its borders? For ex. living family back home (assuming you have family outside the US/Canada)

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
You had lived for 3 years in US/Canada, without once leaving its borders? For ex. living family back home (assuming you have family outside the US/Canada)
Yes, I had lived in US for over 3 years.
I'm assuming you can leave the country for vacations and you would still be eligible. What they're looking for is to determine residency during that period.

You can go online to apply and put in your information then you'll know if you're eligible

gtvisa2020

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
[QUOTE="DEEPCUR, post: 7220002 [/QUOTE]

Plan is to switch over to B1 once my payroll transitions in November, hopefully. you can update your immigration status, visa after get NEXUS.
Sorry about the delay in response, trying to uproot my life in another country haha.