+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dad's PR Renewal and Options

MrOptomist

Star Member
Apr 24, 2008
My dad's PR is expiring in July and he needs to travel outside of Canada and may not be back in July. I sent his PR renewal application in November but have not received an AOR yet.
If let's say he cannot return to Canada by July, does he has to get a PRTD? And how hard is it to get a PRTD? He has fully complied and has fulfilled the residency requirement not only for PR but also eligible to apply for citizenship now.
Please provide any official references, if possible because dad's not going to believe me until I show him official documentation :cool:
TIA...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My dad's PR is expiring in July and he needs to travel outside of Canada and may not be back in July. I sent his PR renewal application in November but have not received an AOR yet.
If let's say he cannot return to Canada by July, does he has to get a PRTD? And how hard is it to get a PRTD? He has fully complied and has fulfilled the residency requirement not only for PR but also eligible to apply for citizenship now.
Please provide any official references, if possible because dad's not going to believe me until I show him official documentation :cool:
TIA...
He needs either a valid PR card or a valid PRTD to be allowed to board the plane to fly to Canada.

Info on how to apply for a PRTD is below. As long as he meets the residency requirement at the time he applies, he'll be approved without issue:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

Processing times are super hard to guess right now due to COVID-19. I expect it will remain that way for the rest of the year. That's probably your one wild card (i.e. how long he will need to wait for the PRTD to be approved).

MrOptomist

Star Member
Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for the prompt response, scylla. With the processing times being the unknown, he could potentially get stuck there...

Hanataha

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
TIA...
Hi, where is your father right now? Can he come to UAE to apply?
I applied PRTD in Uae last September. I got an approval after 1 week.