+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dad was born in Canada, but gave up citizenship

sonofcanadian

Nov 13, 2016
Hello,

I'm 43 and born in the USA. My father was born in Canada in the early 1950's (I believe in Saskatchewan somewhere). My mother is deceased (I never knew her), and I believe born in the USA.

My father told me he gave up his Canadian citizenship, I'm not sure when, waiting for details on that. I'm not sure if I would still qualify for dual citizenship if he gave up his. Or does it depend on when he actually gave it up?

From what I can understand if he was still a citizen when I was born (I'm trying to find out when he gave it up for sole US citizenship), then I'm still eligible, even if he's not a citizen now. But I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Can anyone clarify or offer advice.

sonofcanadian

Nov 13, 2016
Also, found out he became a US citizen in 2005. So he was still a Canadian citizen when I was born.

sonofcanadian said:
Hello,

I'm 43 and born in the USA. My father was born in Canada in the early 1950's (I believe in Saskatchewan somewhere). My mother is deceased (I never knew her), and I believe born in the USA.

My father told me he gave up his Canadian citizenship, I'm not sure when, waiting for details on that. I'm not sure if I would still qualify for dual citizenship if he gave up his. Or does it depend on when he actually gave it up?

From what I can understand if he was still a citizen when I was born (I'm trying to find out when he gave it up for sole US citizenship), then I'm still eligible, even if he's not a citizen now. But I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Can anyone clarify or offer advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There would have been no reason for him to give up his citizenship in order to take US citizenship. However, some people believe that by taking US citizenship, they are severing all ties to other countries.

Their oath states:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
However, in fact the US really does not care how many other citizenships you hold. In order to have given up his Canadian citizenship, he had to officially renounce it through immigration Canada. Did he do that?

In any case, whether he did or not is not relevant. As long as he was a citizen when you were born, it would not affect your status.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonofcanadian said:
Hello,

Since you were born before 1977, your birth had to be registered with Canadian authorities to receive citizenship at that time. If it was not, you still became a Canadian citizen on April 17, 2009, but retroactive to your date of birth. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeDQpIQFD0

Unless your birth was registered (as stated above), any children born to you in the USA did not inherit Canadian citizenship. If it was registered, only those born before April 17, 2009 inherited Canadian citizenship.

As to your father, although he renounced his Canadian citizenship to U.S. authorities, that didn't matter to Canada in 2005 (it would have mattered before 1977), so he never lost his Canadian citizenship.

[If he renounced his Canadian citizenship to Canadian authorities, that would be a different matter. But, there would have been no reason to do so.]

In summary, both you and your father are dual citizens. His proof of Canadian citizenship is his birth certificate. You can order your proof here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

sonofcanadian

Nov 13, 2016
alphazip said:
Since you were born before 1977, your birth had to be registered with Canadian authorities to receive citizenship at that time. If it was not, you still became a Canadian citizen on April 17, 2009, but retroactive to your date of birth. See:

Unless your birth was registered (as stated above), any children born to you in the USA did not inherit Canadian citizenship. If it was registered, only those born before April 17, 2009 inherited Canadian citizenship.

As to your father, although he renounced his Canadian citizenship to U.S. authorities, that didn't matter to Canada in 2005 (it would have mattered before 1977), so he never lost his Canadian citizenship.

[If he renounced his Canadian citizenship to Canadian authorities, that would be a different matter. But, there would have been no reason to do so.]

In summary, both you and your father are dual citizens. His proof of Canadian citizenship is his birth certificate. You can order your proof here:

Thanks for the info guys. This all helps a lot. After I apply, send documents, etc. and hopefully am granted citizenship, am I then able to apply for a Canadian passport?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonofcanadian said:
Thanks for the info guys. This all helps a lot. After I apply, send documents, etc. and hopefully am granted citizenship, am I then able to apply for a Canadian passport?
Yes, once you have your citizenship certificate, you can apply for a Canadian passport, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/new/apply-how.asp