+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dad born in Canada 1942 became Us citizen before I was born

Amyenza

Mar 4, 2017
Hello,

I hoping someone can shed some light on this question. My father was born in 1942 in Toronto. His parents were also born in Canada (Scotia, and Montreal). My father become a US citizen in 1954 at the age of 17. Later He met and married my mother whom is a United States citizen and they had me. I am a united citizen and I am wondering can I apply for dual citizenship? Also what would this mean for my children? Thank you for any info you can offer.

Amy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Amyenza said:
Hello,

I hoping someone can shed some light on this question. My father was born in 1942 in Toronto. His parents were also born in Canada (Scotia, and Montreal). My father become a US citizen in 1954 at the age of 17. Later He met and married my mother whom is a United States citizen and they had me. I am a united citizen and I am wondering can I apply for dual citizenship? Also what would this mean for my children? Thank you for any info you can offer.

Amy
1. Yes, you are probably a Canadian citizen. All you have to do is apply for proof of citizenship. As you are the first generation born abroad of Canadian citizen.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amyenza said:
Hello,

Amy
Your father ceased to be a Canadian citizen in 1954 when he became a U.S citizen. He became a Canadian citizen again on April 17, 2009 and you also gained citizenship for the first time on that date. ( See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeDQpIQFD0 ) Because citizenship by descent was limited to the first generation born abroad (i.e., outside of Canada), your children did not inherit Canadian citizenship. If you want to get a Canadian citizenship certificate (in order to get a passport, etc.), look here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Amyenza

Mar 4, 2017
Thank you for both of your replys. I thought this was the case but I wasn't 100% sure. My son is a bit disappointed he doesnt qualify, at least I asked! Thx again!