+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dad born 1932 in Alberta. Arrested for being an alien from Canada in Cali in '50

hcours

Nov 14, 2016
My dad was born in Alberta in 1932 and was adopted at 2 years old. I have adoption papers from 1934 which list his birth mother (who was from Calgary). The adoptive parents (dad was American, mother was Canadian) moved to the US, where we live now. I was going through his old paperwork and found an arrest warrant for being an alien from Canada when he was 18, along with parole papers for the case. I think this all happened when he tried to join the US army. The army had him sign paperwork and boom, at 18 years old, in 1950, he became a US citizen. That's how he tells it. I'm trying to find out if he is still a Canadian citizen and if that means I could be as well. I have no idea what the US army had him sign.
I'm going to be asking for a copy of his birth certificate as a first step. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your father lost his Canadian citizenship when he became a U.S. citizen in 1950, but regained it on April 17, 2009. As the first generation born abroad, you also became a Canadian citizen on April 17, 2009, retroactive to your date of birth. However, if you have any children born outside of Canada, they did not inherit Canadian citizenship.

If you can prove your father's birth in Canada and the connection between his birth name and his current name (assuming his name was changed upon adoption), you can apply for proof of Canadian citizenship.

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Note that any original documents you send with your application will not be returned. You can send copies only if they have been certified as true copies, though many U.S. states don't allow notaries to perform that function. Check your state here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy

hcours

Nov 14, 2016
Thank you very much for that! His arrest warrant in the US lists his new name and his aka birth name so there was information floating around in 1950 showing both names. The adoption papers from Canada state that he was to henceforth be known as the new name (it starts with his birth name and ends with the new). I'm going to start by trying to get a copy of his birth certificate with the new name. See what comes of it. Unless someone suggests otherwise. Thanks again. :)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hcours said:
Thank you very much for that! His arrest warrant in the US lists his new name and his aka birth name so there was information floating around in 1950 showing both names. The adoption papers from Canada state that he was to henceforth be known as the new name (it starts with his birth name and ends with the new). I'm going to start by trying to get a copy of his birth certificate with the new name. See what comes of it. Unless someone suggests otherwise. Thanks again. :)
You may want to contact the Alberta Vital Statistics Office (780-427-7013/vs@gov.ab.ca) to see how the birth would have been recorded.

If your father is living, he will have to order the record himself or give his consent to you to do so: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/Forms/REG3023.pdf

Here are instructions for ordering a certificate from outside Alberta, which involve visiting a notary: http://www.servicealberta.ca/Birth-certificates-how-to-apply.cfm

hcours

Nov 14, 2016
Hopefully that's what I did today! :)
I contacted Registry Connect and asked them about the name and then I paid the fees online, filled out the paperwork with my dad, did the notary, and sent the application to Alberta. When I get the birth certificate, I will then do the application for proof of Canadian citizenship for myself. I think that's the order of events? Thanks again for your help!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hcours said:
Hopefully that's what I did today! :)
I contacted Registry Connect and asked them about the name and then I paid the fees online, filled out the paperwork with my dad, did the notary, and sent the application to Alberta. When I get the birth certificate, I will then do the application for proof of Canadian citizenship for myself. I think that's the order of events? Thanks again for your help!
Correct...you'll need your full birth certificate (listing parents) and his birth certificate. But, unless his is in his current name, remember to include a copy of the adoption papers, too.

hcours

Nov 14, 2016
Would you suggest the use of a representative? They mention it in the citizenship application. And can someone recommend a good company if so?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hcours said:
Would you suggest the use of a representative? They mention it in the citizenship application. And can someone recommend a good company if so?
I see no need for a representative. It's just a matter of completing a form and attaching documents. Of course, your case is complicated by the adoption, but since you have court papers indicating the name change, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't send the original adoption papers (they could get lost and won't be returned), but rather a copy.

See "Name change" here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp#CIT0001E4