+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customs and Immigration Declaration upon returning after 3 years

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Hi, I am a PR returning to Canada after about three years (I know the implications of this). I found out that I will have to fill up a "Customs and Immigration Declaration" form where I need to state what goods I am bringing in and what I have purchased on my time abroad. Can you advice on this? Does someone need to declare ALL of their goods including clothes, devices and what not? Or in which cases I will have to declare something? It also says I will have to declare the values of goods I have with me which is also quite confusing.
Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am a PR returning to Canada after about three years (I know the implications of this). I found out that I will have to fill up a "Customs and Immigration Declaration" form where I need to state what goods I am bringing in and what I have purchased on my time abroad. Can you advice on this? Does someone need to declare ALL of their goods including clothes, devices and what not? Or in which cases I will have to declare something? It also says I will have to declare the values of goods I have with me which is also quite confusing.
Thanks in advance.
Pick one of the two option:

1) Are you settling in Canada for the first time or
2) you are a former resident and returning to Canada?

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I landed already and had to return but got stuck for the Covid-19 situation. Now I am returning with a valid PR but after 3 years.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018

So number 2. What do I put in for the total value of goods? Total of everything I have with me including clothes, personal electronics? This is quite confusing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So number 2. What do I put in for the total value of goods? Total of everything I have with me including clothes, personal electronics? This is quite confusing.
You have not answered my question. Did you settled in Canada after you landed in 2018 for at least a year (until 2019)? If not, you should pick number 1.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
No, you are settling in Canada for the first time. So number 1.
Are you referring to the online declaration when you are saying Number 1? I did not make the online declaration, I am expecting the on-flight form that is given out before landing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reference. But can you tell me what to put in the form on the link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf
or am I missing something? Thanks.
These forms are no longer given on flight. Instead, you would need to scan your passport, declare the customs and take a picture on the machine. Afterwards, you show your prepared settlers effect BSF186 form to the custom officer with the receipt you received from that machine.

Last edited:

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
These forms are no longer given on flight. Instead, you would need to scan your passport, declare the customs and take a picture on the machine. Afterwards, you show your prepared settlers effect BSF186 form to the custom officer with the receipt you received from that machine.
Oh okay. Thanks so much for the information. I had no idea.
A follow up question: Do I need to prepare a list of everything I have with me?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh okay. Thanks so much for the information. I had no idea.
A follow up question: Do I need to prepare a list of everything I have with me?
Yes, you can be more organised just in case they ask.