+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Custom duty on Goods to follow upon moving (after 2 years of soft landing).

drasticinput

Apr 10, 2018
Hi,

During my soft landing ~2 years ago, the CBA officer advised that I have one year to move my goods without having to pay duty on these.

I am planning to move to Ontario soon and obviously the goods to follow window is now expired. I would be bringing my personal items like clothes, shoes, personal electronics (none of them are new). I want to know if I would have to pay duty on these items.

Additionally, if I choose to ship my items (instead of carrying in hand luggage), is there an associated customs process?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

During my soft landing ~2 years ago, the CBA officer advised that I have one year to move my goods without having to pay duty on these.

I am planning to move to Ontario soon and obviously the goods to follow window is now expired. I would be bringing my personal items like clothes, shoes, personal electronics (none of them are new). I want to know if I would have to pay duty on these items.

Additionally, if I choose to ship my items (instead of carrying in hand luggage), is there an associated customs process?

Thanks!
My understanding is that the CBSA officer is incorrect and that there is no time limit published for goods accompanying or goods to follow IF this is the first time you are settling permanently for a period of more than one year.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html
This information will be helpful if you are:
  • entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for one year or more (in the Customs Tariff, such a person is referred to as a "settler");
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html (Read the whole thing)

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Since you already landed 2 years ago, you are now classified as a returning 'Former Resident'. You can bring in all personal goods duty free.

If you use a shipper, list all the goods on Form B4A. Have the CBSA officer stamp the form when you clear custom. When the shipment arrives in Canada, take the B4A and the bill of lading to the nearest CBSA office to clear the goods.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Since you already landed 2 years ago, you are now classified as a returning 'Former Resident'. You can bring in all personal goods duty free.

If you use a shipper, list all the goods on Form B4A. Have the CBSA officer stamp the form when you clear custom. When the shipment arrives in Canada, take the B4A and the bill of lading to the nearest CBSA office to clear the goods.
Not if the OP did a "soft landing". Your immigration status is not directly linked to your "settler" status. In the case of the "soft landing" there is no residency taken up, and certainly not for a period of one year or more. It all depends on whether, since the "soft landing", the OP has ever been a "settler". If that's the case, then you are correct.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Not if OP did not establish Canadian residency upon landing. If that's the case, she is now classified as a 'settler'.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
It totally depends on whether OP submitted a B4E or not. If he/she did, then OP is a returning resident. Either way, OP's personal goods can be imported duty free.

drasticinput

Apr 10, 2018
Indeed. Residency has never been established. I will be 'relocating' to Canada for the very first time. Therefore, no duty shall be levied. Thank you for your valuable inputs and research done for me.