+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently have Visitor Record need to travel and come back to Canada

gtbond

May 15, 2013
Hello,

My wife is currently in Canada on Visitor record (expiring in March 2015) and we need to travel outside of Canada in December. I have applied to sponsor her via inland PR application (I currently have PR Card). We want to make sure that my wife can come back to Canada before we travel.

As visitor record doesn't allow re-entry to Canada. Can she apply for multiple entry? do we need to apply for visitor record extension and apply same time for multiple entry visa as I don't see any link on CIC website to apply for multiple entry visa?

Is TRV and Multiple Entry Visa same thing? If both are same then New temporary resident visa application can be done by only study or work permit holder according to this link? cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gtbond said:
Hello,

My wife is currently in Canada on Visitor record (expiring in March 2015) and we need to travel outside of Canada in December. I have applied to sponsor her via inland PR application (I currently have PR Card). We want to make sure that my wife can come back to Canada before we travel.

As visitor record doesn't allow re-entry to Canada. Can she apply for multiple entry? do we need to apply for visitor record extension and apply same time for multiple entry visa as I don't see any link on CIC website to apply for multiple entry visa?

Is TRV and Multiple Entry Visa same thing? If both are same then New temporary resident visa application can be done by only study or work permit holder according to this link? cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp
1. All applications for TRV applications are considered for multiple entry now.
2. She has to apply at an overseas office. There is a good chance if she leaves Canada, that she will not be issued a TRV as it is her intention to remain permanently rather than visit (The PR application is the proof)
3. If she leaves Canada, her visitor status expires. If she is issued a new TRV when she returns to Canada she would be admitted as a visitor and a new visitor record issued.

Bakedbeans

Sep 9, 2014
Hello,

I read gtbond's message with interest as I am in an almost identical situation. I too would like to attend a family wedding next year in the UK but I am concerned about being able re enter Canada.

PMM wrote:3. If she leaves Canada, her visitor status expires. If she is issued a new TRV when she returns to Canada she would be admitted as a visitor and a new visitor record issued.

Can anyone advise how/when to be able to do this?

Thankyou :D

Visitor record (exp March 2015)
Applied for spousal sponsorship within Canada (August 2014)

bloppe

Sep 9, 2014
Bakedbeans said:
Hello,

I read gtbond's message with interest as I am in an almost identical situation. I too would like to attend a family wedding next year in the UK but I am concerned about being able re enter Canada.

PMM wrote:3. If she leaves Canada, her visitor status expires. If she is issued a new TRV when she returns to Canada she would be admitted as a visitor and a new visitor record issued.

Can anyone advise how/when to be able to do this?

Thankyou :D

Visitor record (exp March 2015)
Applied for spousal sponsorship within Canada (August 2014)
Every time you leave Canada you take the risk of being refused on your way back
When you re enter canada the custom agent has the right to refuse entry if he think you will not go back.
Also trying to outsmart them by not declaring you have a sponsorship on the way is not a good idea, I have been told by an immigration agent they have a way to check. So if you lie and they find out, for sure they will refuse your entry.

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if this link might help you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551etoc.asp#restoration

Just read all the way down.....

Bakedbeans

Sep 9, 2014
Thankyou bloppe and PTJ for your responses. I totally understand as a visitor on a TRV that if you leave Canada at any point (for whatever reason) and decide to return to Canada that customs have the right to refuse entry (because essentially you have chosen to leave the country 'they could assume you do not want to stay here or you have relinquished your visitor status by leaving).

I want to eventually become a permanent resident ( I have already applied through the spousal sponsorship route), however that is at least 19 months away. Naturally I miss my family and friends in the UK and now with the knowledge that my husbands brother is getting married next year; the thought that I cannot attend the wedding simply because there is a possibility of not being able to re-enter is frustrating to say the least. I just wondered if there was a possibility of a way to leave the Canada even for just a week without it affecting my re entry to Canada.

Another question: If I was refused entry back into Canada and had to return to the UK what would happen to my PR application? Would I have to apply from scratch from outside Canada?

bloppe

Sep 9, 2014
Bakedbeans said:
Thankyou bloppe and PTJ for your responses. I totally understand as a visitor on a TRV that if you leave Canada at any point (for whatever reason) and decide to return to Canada that customs have the right to refuse entry (because essentially you have chosen to leave the country 'they could assume you do not want to stay here or you have relinquished your visitor status by leaving).

I want to eventually become a permanent resident ( I have already applied through the spousal sponsorship route), however that is at least 19 months away. Naturally I miss my family and friends in the UK and now with the knowledge that my husbands brother is getting married next year; the thought that I cannot attend the wedding simply because there is a possibility of not being able to re-enter is frustrating to say the least. I just wondered if there was a possibility of a way to leave the Canada even for just a week without it affecting my re entry to Canada.

Another question: If I was refused entry back into Canada and had to return to the UK what would happen to my PR application? Would I have to apply from scratch from outside Canada?
Hello again,

I am not saying they will refuse you entry, as long as your visa is valid and you tell them the truth, it should go well. But their is a chance you are being refused entry.
As for what happen to your PR, I do not think that you have to redo it, it wouldnt make sense really, you should contact your CIC tho and inform them of your new status me think

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bakedbeans said:

1. An "in Canada spousal" application would be terminated, since you would no longer be in Canada if you were refused entry.

Jamming

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
Was your wife able to travel back to Canada with her Visitor Record? I have the same situation, Im waiting on the OWP but my wife has received a 1 year Visitor Record. Can we travel to the states and she return with it?

Reactions: Rerouting

Rerouting

Aug 11, 2019
Hi Jamming,
I saw your post a while back.
I am in a same situation. My wife was on Visitor Record (Valid till July 2021) and she recently went to my home country.
Now she want to come back. Does she need to reapply for visitor visa or she can just travel and then her passport will be stamped at Airport?