+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently employed in US/US citizen - live in Canada?

riderxcx

Dec 26, 2018
I remember in the past having a roommate who was kind of doing the same thing but in reverse. He was a Canadian citizen who owned a house in California and it was essentially his vacation home. I asked him, and he’s done nothing to really apply to immigrate to the US, so as far as I can tell he’s essentially being looked at as a tourist. His only restriction is that he had to be out of the US at least 6 months out of the year.

I currently work as a flight attendant so if the same policy exists in reverse from the US to Canada, being out of the country for 6 months per year is easy with my job. I am seriously considering renting a place in Canada while working in the US as well... With an admitted long term goal of immigrating to Canada permanently just like you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I remember in the past having a roommate who was kind of doing the same thing but in reverse. He was a Canadian citizen who owned a house in California and it was essentially his vacation home. I asked him, and he’s done nothing to really apply to immigrate to the US, so as far as I can tell he’s essentially being looked at as a tourist. His only restriction is that he had to be out of the US at least 6 months out of the year.

I currently work as a flight attendant so if the same policy exists in reverse from the US to Canada, being out of the country for 6 months per year is easy with my job. I am seriously considering renting a place in Canada while working in the US as well... With an admitted long term goal of immigrating to Canada permanently just like you.
Short answer is that you can visit Canada but not live here or move here. If and how long you are allowed into Canada is always up to the CBSA officer you encounter. If you plan on visiting Canada for a few months without leaving - that should be doable. If you plan to fly in and out of Canada regularly during the months you are here - you should assume that won't be possible since this isn't the behaviour of a tourist. Note that visiting Canada doesn't help you at all in terms of becoming a PR.

JenLevitt

Dec 18, 2018

You might be in a more similar situation to my bf since you would be leaving and entering the country on a regular basis. So far a I can tell, legally this is frowned upon, but it sounds like people do it in border cities sometimes and aren't really hassled too much... but I can't find any "legal" way to do this with any assurances that you will be allowed to cross regularly and freely

lybc

Apr 7, 2019
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to the complexities of binational living, so thanks in advance for your patience! My partner (legal spouse) was hired by a Canadian university and we are planning to move there in June. I will continue my U.S.-based employment, teleworking most days and going in person 1-2 days per month (just on the other side of the border, so I'll drive). The university is facilitating the process for my partner's work permit (and sponsorship of me) so my legal ability to live in Canada is set (unlike some of the other posts I've read). But I'm not sure about the nitty-gritty details and potential headaches of my arrangement. We hear vague anecdotes about people who've done something similar to what I'll be doing (Canada-based living, US-based working), but I've yet to meet anyone or hear about the actual details and complexities. Anything I should be aware of? Or can you point me in a particular direction? Thank you!

Reactions: AmieAgu

AmieAgu

Apr 16, 2018
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to the complexities of binational living, so thanks in advance for your patience! My partner (legal spouse) was hired by a Canadian university and we are planning to move there in June. I will continue my U.S.-based employment, teleworking most days and going in person 1-2 days per month (just on the other side of the border, so I'll drive). The university is facilitating the process for my partner's work permit (and sponsorship of me) so my legal ability to live in Canada is set (unlike some of the other posts I've read). But I'm not sure about the nitty-gritty details and potential headaches of my arrangement. We hear vague anecdotes about people who've done something similar to what I'll be doing (Canada-based living, US-based working), but I've yet to meet anyone or hear about the actual details and complexities. Anything I should be aware of? Or can you point me in a particular direction? Thank you!
Hi, I'm in this exact situation! Can you please share what you found out? Thank you!!

AmieAgu

Apr 16, 2018
Depends on the employer. Some are comfortable with the set-up others require that the person become a contractor if they are living in Canada.
Do you know of any reasons as to why they won't be comfortable with the setup? Are there tax implications for them if they pay me in USD & deduct taxes? Even though I don't live in the US anymore but in CA?

Amandolin

Sep 29, 2020
I also find myself in this situation. I am employed full time (remote) with an American company and about to get married to a Canadian and start the process of moving here (have been here since Covid closed the borders on a tourist visa with extensions ... lots of weird circumstances right now). I own property in the states which means I can apply as an outland for PR, but my real question is what AmieAgu mentions above about working for a US company and tax laws, etc.

Oct 12, 2020
I'm curious about this, too. I'm an American, and my Canadian spouse got her American PR in 2019 (that was a fun process <g>). She's going to be done with her degree here in the States in May. We are considering moving closer to the border so that she can be closer to home. Because of the pandemic, my company has realized we can do remote working. We have discussed the idea of me obtaining my Canadian PR and moving to a border town on the Ontario side near Buffalo so I can drive over each day and work from a WeWork type office so I can still work from a U.S. based office for my job.

Does anyone have experience with taxes when being a US citizen working in the US but living in Canada? What about healthcare? Can you keep your US health plan, or do you still have to pay into Canadian healthcare (which I realize is quite good). Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can provide. We are hoping to make a decision in the next six to eight months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm curious about this, too. I'm an American, and my Canadian spouse got her American PR in 2019 (that was a fun process <g>). She's going to be done with her degree here in the States in May. We are considering moving closer to the border so that she can be closer to home. Because of the pandemic, my company has realized we can do remote working. We have discussed the idea of me obtaining my Canadian PR and moving to a border town on the Ontario side near Buffalo so I can drive over each day and work from a WeWork type office so I can still work from a U.S. based office for my job.

Does anyone have experience with taxes when being a US citizen working in the US but living in Canada? What about healthcare? Can you keep your US health plan, or do you still have to pay into Canadian healthcare (which I realize is quite good). Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can provide. We are hoping to make a decision in the next six to eight months.
You'll file taxes in both Canada and the U.S. As an American, you are required to file taxes regardless of whether you are living in the U.S. or not.

Canadian health care is funded out of tax dollars. You can't chose or chose not to pay into it. Your tax dollars fund it by default.

I don't believe you'll be covered by your US health plan in Canada. That's something you'll need to check with your provider.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Your plan will only work if you get your COPR before you move to Canada. If you arrive in Canada as a visitor you won't be able to cross the border daily. There is quite a backlog for spouaal sponsorship so it's unlikely you'll have PR by May.