+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

current visitor restrictions for immediate family members

zhan9017

Dec 17, 2019
Hi, my dad is outside of Canada and outside of the US. He is not an immigrant. He will be staying for more than 15 days and has a quarantine plan. The reason for his visit is not deemed essential.

So, having said all that, is he eligible to come to Canada? Why or why not? Thanks.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Are you a Canadian citizen or PR? If so, he may be allowed to enter as an immediate family member. Otherwise, as his travel is non-essential, of course he would not be allowed in.

zhan9017

Dec 17, 2019
Are you a Canadian citizen or PR? If so, he may be allowed to enter as an immediate family member. Otherwise, as his travel is non-essential, of course he would not be allowed in.
Yes I am a PR. Does that mean he will be allowed to visit? Is there any extra step to take for the application process, other than the usual requirements? By extra steps I mean things like written authorization of IRCC.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes I am a PR. Does that mean he will be allowed to visit? Is there any extra step to take for the application process, other than the usual requirements? By extra steps I mean things like written authorization of IRCC.
I don't believe so. Obviously you two should be prepared to show he's related to you and you're a PR.

zhan9017

Dec 17, 2019
I don't believe so. Obviously you two should be prepared to show he's related to you and you're a PR.
Sorry but I need some clarification when you said "I don't believe so". Did you mean that he is not eligible or did you mean he does not need written authorization?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought of applying for a TRV after confirming whether he meets the exemption criteria.
You need to apply for TRV ASAP because it could take a long time to get an approval/refusal. Estimate of processing times that are posted may be incorrect. Do not buy a ticket until he has an approved TRV. An itinerary is fine. Depending on where he is VAC may be closed causes further delays. Medical is likely to be requested and many clinics are also closed.