+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current country of residence and previous countries of residence

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
Hi guys!

I have a couple of question regarding this subject matter..

1. I have lived in Mexico since Aug 2017.
Sep 17 - Sep 18: as a tourist(visitor)
Sep 18 - present: as a worker with a working visa

So in this case, would my current country of residence take my "worker" status along with its starting date Sep 2018? and end date would be expiration date of the visa?

Since I can only input only one status, I am confused a bit for I've had two different status during my continuous stay in Mexico.

2. If your current country of residence is also one of your previous countries of residence, It shouldn't be counted?

For example,

Before Sep 17 I had lived in Sweden for more than a six months so I know for sure that this should be counted.

Before Sweden, however, I also lived in Mexico as a student, Jan 14 - Dec 14.

Do I need to mention my stay in Mexico in this case?

I'd appreciate any kind of help that you can provide :)

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
Just want to remind you to be honest. Believe you were studying not visiting Mexico initially.
Thank you @canuck...how are you?

Actually I studied as a tourist for 1 year. So my status in Mexico was never a student haha. I guess this doesn't matter?

So you mean that I shall mention Mexico twice right? (as current and past country of residence).. just to make sure :)

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you @canuck...how are you?

Actually I studied as a tourist for 1 year. So my status in Mexico was never a student haha( not sure if this matter. I will be honest on the application though)

So Mexico comes first, then to Sweden and back to Mexico(current country).

Shall I mention Mexico twice then? (as current and past country of residence)
Based on your previous posts you attended the a university for 2 semesters. That would be studying not tourism. Don’t know the exact question that is asked but you should list countries in chronological order.

Mexico - worker
Sweden - worked as an au pair (you worked under the table even though you had a work permit. If you are paid cash you are supposed to declare your earnings to be taxed. If it comes up you should admit that you were wrong.)
Mexico - student

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
Based on your previous posts you attended the a university for 2 semesters. That would be studying not tourism. Don’t know the exact question that is asked but you should list countries in chronological order.

Mexico - worker
Sweden - worked as an au pair (you worked under the table even though you had a work permit. If you are paid cash you are supposed to declare your earnings to be taxed. If it comes up you should admit that you were wrong.)
Mexico - student

Mexico - worker
Mexico - student

Mexico - worker
Mexico - student
That is correct but still my legal status was a visitor( It is quite a common option for exchange students coming to Mexico.. )

In my personal history, my status is 'visitor' and activity type is 'studying' so I assume that my status in previous country of residence should match this.

Or is the status in country of residence question more about activity than legal status?

Also will this and my experience in Sweden with cash /partime job not be reasons for my application to be rejected? .. still feeling unsure about this :/

Do I simply need to say I was wrong and is enough for them?

and would this be different if all these were happening in Canada(this is just out of curiosity)? Cause I think that will be a good reason to reject an application.

Thank you so much for taking your precious time on this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is correct but still my legal status was a visitor( It is quite a common option for exchange students coming to Mexico.. )

In my personal history, my status is 'visitor' and activity type is 'studying' so I assume that my status in previous country of residence should match this.

Or is the status in country of residence question more about activity than legal status?

Also will this and my experience in Sweden with cash /partime job not be reasons for my application to be rejected? .. still feeling unsure about this :/

Do I simply need to say I was wrong and is enough for them?

and would this be different if all these were happening in Canada(this is just out of curiosity)? Cause I think that will be a good reason to reject an application.

Thank you so much for taking your precious time on this.
Canada seems to pretty forgiving if you are honest even if you overstayed, work illegally, etc. Pretty hard to get refused if you are in a genuine relationship and honest in your application. Wouldn’t dwell on things you’ve done wrong but wouldn’t omit details because you know it wasn’t legal. Just say you worked as an au pair in Sweden for 6 months. No need to go into details.

Reactions: gingerlily91

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
Canada seems to pretty forgiving if you are honest even if you overstayed, work illegally, etc. Pretty hard to get refused if you are in a genuine relationship and honest in your application. Wouldn’t dwell on things you’ve done wrong but wouldn’t omit details because you know it wasn’t legal. Just say you worked as an au pair in Sweden for 6 months. No need to go into details.

Thanks again. It helped me understand this matter better.