+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cuba

schming

Feb 19, 2011
if someone could help,my friend plans to marry in cuba and wants to know what documents are required

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
your friend will need a long form birth certificate and a declaration of single status and if he/she has been married before the divorce certificate....these documents must be notarized and translated in spanish by a certified translator...sent to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa for authentication and then to the Cuba Embassy in Toronot for verification...Dept. of Foreign Affairs is free.....Cuban Embassy charges $174 per document each in english and spanish.....

shuster2210

Jan 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2012
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
July 9th 2012
Med's Done....
January 31st 2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Nov-1-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully December 3rd
Your documents only have to be sent to foreign affairs if you were not born in Canada.
This seems to be a misconception of many people sponsoring from cUba, it is a waste of time and is not necessary. I didn't do it, just took all my translates notarized paperwork to the consulate in Toronto, and had it all legalized at the consulate within 2 weeks.
I asked the consul and he told the info about foreign affairs.

shuster2210

Jan 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2012
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
July 9th 2012
Med's Done....
January 31st 2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Nov-1-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully December 3rd
And you do not need the long form birth certificate. As long as you were born in Canada the wallet size is fine, and it saves you in translation costs.
I have a good lawyer and Translator here in Toronto, he does most work the same day.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
shuster2210 said:
Your documents only have to be sent to foreign affairs if you were not born in Canada.
This seems to be a misconception of many people sponsoring from cUba, it is a waste of time and is not necessary. I didn't do it, just took all my translates notarized paperwork to the consulate in Toronto, and had it all legalized at the consulate within 2 weeks.
I asked the consul and he told the info about foreign affairs.
this is for the marriage documents and yes they do have to be authenticated and you are wrong for the marriage certificate you have to have the long form birth certificate......for immigration purposes no for marriage purposes yes.....

shuster2210

Jan 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2012
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
July 9th 2012
Med's Done....
January 31st 2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Nov-1-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully December 3rd
Ok so if Iam wrong how did I get everything approved and legalized at the consulate here in Toronto, and then get married in Havana 4 months ago yesterday????
Short form BC and nothing sent to foreign affairs.
I asked him, and he said it is only for people born outside of Canada
Don't tell me Iam wrong when I just went through the process.
There is a lot of misinformation when dealing with Cuban consulate... I went there, asked them and was done with it.
No foreign affairs, nada

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
shuster2210 said:
Ok so if Iam wrong how did I get everything approved and legalized at the consulate here in Toronto, and then get married in Havana 4 months ago yesterday????
Short form BC and nothing sent to foreign affairs.
I asked him, and he said it is only for people born outside of Canada
Don't tell me Iam wrong when I just went through the process.
There is a lot of misinformation when dealing with Cuban consulate... I went there, asked them and was done with it.
No foreign affairs, nada
well I just went through the process as well and they would not accept my short for bc...so maybe once again it depends on who you deal with....but the 4 people I know who have gotten married we all had to follow the same steps......so your process worked for you and mine for me and I guess it will depend on how one wants to proceed......so please don't tell me I am wrong either..... :)

shuster2210

Jan 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2012
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
July 9th 2012
Med's Done....
January 31st 2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Nov-1-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully December 3rd
Well I guess the 4 of you had unlucky days at the consulate.
Did you being your completed paper work to the consulate and they denied it?

lambchop

Star Member
Mar 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2012
KJG said:
well I just went through the process as well and they would not accept my short for bc...so maybe once again it depends on who you deal with....but the 4 people I know who have gotten married we all had to follow the same steps......so your process worked for you and mine for me and I guess it will depend on how one wants to proceed......so please don't tell me I am wrong either..... :)
There seems to be some variability with the requirements depending on which Cuban Embassy or Consulate you are dealing with. If you go to the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa or the Cuban Consulate in Montreal, they seem to consistently require DFAIT authentication of documents before they will process them, regardless of whether or not you were born in or out of Canada.

I recently got married and went through the Cuban Consulate in Toronto to process my documents. They did not require DFAIT authentication, however I needed to present my long form birth certificate.

Best bet is to contact the Cuban Consulate or Embassy that falls within your jurisdiction and make the inquiry. They generally do not answer the phone, so email is best. Or if you have the time, you could err on the side of caution and get the DFAIT authentication anyway.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
lambchop said:
There seems to be some variability with the requirements depending on which Cuban Embassy or Consulate you are dealing with. If you go to the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa or the Cuban Consulate in Montreal, they seem to consistently require DFAIT authentication of documents before they will process them, regardless of whether or not you were born in or out of Canada.

I recently got married and went through the Cuban Consulate in Toronto to process my documents. They did not require DFAIT authentication, however I needed to present my long form birth certificate.

Best bet is to contact the Cuban Consulate or Embassy that falls within your jurisdiction and make the inquiry. They generally do not answer the phone, so email is best. Or if you have the time, you could err on the side of caution and get the DFAIT authentication anyway.
exactly lambchop.....it's just like when you phone the government twice and ask the same question and two different people answer the phone and of course you get two different answers.......but it it works it works!!!! I am married and that is the most important thing!!!!!

Reactions: Kiva667