+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cuba with RTD

Kikk

Apr 13, 2023
I visited Cuba 3 months ago. I was able to board to the plane using just my RTD in Toronto. At Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport passport control, the officer asked for my Canadian PR after taking my RTD. I don't know if you need visa without PR
Did you come back to Canada without problems?

toronto1453

May 18, 2023
Hello

thanks for sharing your experience. We are planning to go to Cuba next month without Pr. And with Sunwing.I think you mentioned document to fill in plane. Thats name is Cuba tourist card ( visa ). But i didnt understand that why employees in Toronto Pearson Airport made a problem? What was the problem for them? Do you advice me to tell anything about if they also block us in Airport?
by the way hopefully you had a great vacation there.
Hi did you have any problems?

Kikk

Apr 13, 2023
If you want to go to Cuba without any problems go with air transat, and when returning to Canada if Cuba agent ask you if you are PR in Canada, just say you are protected person. Because if you say you are a pr and don't have your card they might be some complications returning to Canada, even if you depart from Canada say you are a protected person and bring all those documents with you in case. I went to Cuba last may8 th and returned May 19th 2023 , they asked me those questions.

toronto1453

May 18, 2023
Hi..
I'm thinking of going with air canada.(No Pr)
thank you for your reply

If you want to go to Cuba without any problems go with air transat, and when returning to Canada if Cuba agent ask you if you are PR in Canada, just say you are protected person. Because if you say you are a pr and don't have your card they might be some complications returning to Canada, even if you depart from Canada say you are a protected person and bring all those documents with you in case. I went to Cuba last may8 th and returned May 19th 2023 , they asked me those questions.

Captain911

Jan 31, 2023
Hi..
I'm thinking of going with air canada.(No Pr)
thank you for your reply
Actually i chose to go with Sunwing because their offer was more cheaper. And we dont have Pr yet. For depart checking they didn’t realize about Rtd and they asked one of their supervisors and she did it in 2 mins. And then i didnt have any problem entering Cuba. They care just visa which is provided in plane. And when your returning to Canada they take you to immigration agent from line. Because Rtd doesnt work on self machine. Anyway Agent says welcome to home. And didnt ask me anything. So everything was good. Some people believe that Westjet or Air Canada is more easy in check in because they are government companies so they know Rtd. Hopefully you will have a great holiday there. Try to have 1 usd bills. Because everybody is tipping everwhere with 1 usd and you make them happy . And dont forget to get city tour in Havana. Enjoy.

Kikk

Apr 13, 2023
Well , air Canada is expensive but other airlines if you just said you are a protected person if the agent don't know about RTD she or he will ask the supervisors. RTD you can exist and reenter Canada without visa but if you travel without pr , better say you are protected person cause technically you are a protected person in Canada .

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Well , air Canada is expensive but other airlines if you just said you are a protected person if the agent don't know about RTD she or he will ask the supervisors. RTD you can exist and reenter Canada without visa but if you travel without pr , better say you are protected person cause technically you are a protected person in Canada .
You will not be refused entry back to Canada even if you travel without PR but you do have RTD. It is strongly recommended to travel with your PR if you have one.

Nov 27, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have Refugee Travel Document but didn’t have my PR yet. Do I need to get visa to travel Cuba and how to get visa if needed ? Thank you

My experience going to Dominican Republic not Cuba with Sunwing was terrible, they don't know anything about immigration and RTD. They refused me to board and made me cancel my returning flight and buy with another company which I did with Westjet and they don't understand why Sunwing is doing it because my RTD is my passport and the westjet employees agreed. I used my background passport to go to Dominican Republic but got my RTD stamped over there, Dominicans didn't ask anything about my RTD because they accepted it only Sunwing doesn't. Ridiculous.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My experience going to Dominican Republic not Cuba with Sunwing was terrible, they don't know anything about immigration and RTD. They refused me to board and made me cancel my returning flight and buy with another company which I did with Westjet and they don't understand why Sunwing is doing it because my RTD is my passport and the westjet employees agreed. I used my background passport to go to Dominican Republic but got my RTD stamped over there, Dominicans didn't ask anything about my RTD because they accepted it only Sunwing doesn't. Ridiculous.
Airlines, especially very small ones, are not knowledgeable about all immigrations programs. Would always suggest showing up very early for a flight (4 hours) if travelling on an RTD and not a PR so if you run into any issues the airline can speak to IRCC, DR or their head office. I would also travel with a copy of an email from the embassy of your destination confirming they accept RTD even when you are not a PR.

Nov 27, 2023
Airlines, especially very small ones, are not knowledgeable about all immigrations programs. Would always suggest showing up very early for a flight (4 hours) if travelling on an RTD and not a PR so if you run into any issues the airline can speak to IRCC, DR or their head office. I would also travel with a copy of an email from the embassy of your destination confirming they accept RTD even when you are not a PR.
Now I know that.
I showed everything from Dominican Republic Consulate, Canada Immigration, My ecopr but they still didn't accepted my RTD.

Reactions: B-Nice
Nov 27, 2023
Thank you so much for answering. Maybe Sunwing will be problem for me next month on boarding time but i think we can fix it because i never heard anything about refused boarding the plane and cancelled ticket.
They refused me to board to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and made me cancel my returning flight. They don't know anything about RTD even when I showed the email from Dominican Republic Consulate saying I was fine to travel with my RTD. I am also Resident Permanent but no PR Card yet.
I will never travel with Sunwing again. WestJet didn't belive when I said they refused me, Westjet said: your RTD is your passport and allowed me to go to Punta Cana without issues, in Punta Canada they never ask about my PR only my RTD and no questions.
I think Sunwing do that to all RTD and no PR Card.
I saw people with Work Permit being refused to board too. Unbelievable!

B-Nice

Feb 28, 2023
Hey, without PR, only RTD, did u apply for visa?? Or it’s visa free to holders of RTD holders? Thanks

Flyfly

Dec 5, 2023
I have already traveled to Cuba with my RTD and I don't have my PR yet, I bought my ticket with Sunwing, at the beginning they asked me for my PR I told him that I haven't received it yet and I only have my RTD they told me ok wait we have to make calls after a few minutes they told me ok everything is fine have a good trip

B-Nice

Feb 28, 2023
I have already traveled to Cuba with my RTD and I don't have my PR yet, I bought my ticket with Sunwing, at the beginning they asked me for my PR I told him that I haven't received it yet and I only have my RTD they told me ok wait we have to make calls after a few minutes they told me ok everything is fine have a good trip
Did you need a visa? Or u just buy your ticket and the visa is given to u when u arrive the airport?