+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cryptocurrency trading

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Does something like bitcoin trading need to be mentioned in the personal history section? Since it is a sensitive subject and some governments deem it illegal? I was dabbling in BTC trading on and off for about a year last year and got out of it when prices began to crash and have never returned since. BTC trading has since been made illegal in my country and Citibank asked me to close my account with them fearing government backlash (although I was not trading anymore at that time). This was just internal due diligence from the bank and not a government order. Is this something I have to mention in my personal history?

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
If it was your main source of income, yes I'd mention it.
If you were doing BTC trading 'on the side' and had a different main source of income during that time then I don't think is relevant to mention.

As long as you didn't violate any laws in your own country while you were doing it, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Reactions: RISHIFERRARI20

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
It definitely wasn't my main source of income. Just a side thing. But I have included it in my personal history just to be safe. My worry is that I do not have any proof to show for it. The BTC exchange is no longer operational and my Citibank account is long closed. I am aware that no supporting documents are needed for anything I put in personal history, but can they selectively ask for further documents from what I put here? Or maybe I should just delete this line before submitting?

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
It definitely wasn't my main source of income. Just a side thing. But I have included it in my personal history just to be safe. My worry is that I do not have any proof to show for it. The BTC exchange is no longer operational and my Citibank account is long closed. I am aware that no supporting documents are needed for anything I put in personal history, but can they selectively ask for further documents from what I put here? Or maybe I should just delete this line before submitting?
No need to mention and torture yourself with such questions. Everyone has dozens of side gigs etc doesn't mean every single trivial thing needs to be mentioned in application.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Don't include it if it's not necessary.

Darvo

Feb 15, 2022
I'm not quite sure, but I think you don't have to mention anything. Of course, everything depends on the case. So, you should stay safe and look for some platforms that give you a chance to asktraders. I think they are more specialized in thins domain and with their experience, they can tell you what to do exactly. On top of that, it's better to pay someone to consult you than to get fined. From everything I've seen till now, it is my point of view, but the final decision is up to you.

patischof

Oct 26, 2021
I don't know why it would be relevant to include it in your personal history section, especially since it wasn't even your main source of income. Many people do a lot of side gigs to earn extra money, which is perfectly fine. Moreover, BTC trading has been made illegal AFTER you stopped investing, so I don't see any reasons why this should even bother you. It's not like you have any crypto audit companies hunting you around LOL. As long as all your purchases or exchanges were safe and legal, it shouldn't worry you. Or if you're still feeling funny about this, you may want to consult some experts about it.