+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS points for work experience and NOC question

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
Hello people,

I was reviewing my EE profile and I noticed that the CIC awarded me CRS points based on the 2 years worth of working experience while I should only 23.25 months qualifying working experience. Should I be worried that I am given points even though I am 0.75 month short of the 2 years working experience? (I think it's an error by the express entry system because it only asks for the starting and ending month of an experience..... so it might have gotten inflated there....)

The work experience is calculated below:
1. Non-Student Teaching Assistant - September 2012 ~ December 2012 for 100 hours (equivalent 0.75 month worth of experience)
2. Tax Associate - February 19, 2013 ~ June 30, 2013 - full time (roughly 4.5 month worth of experience)
3. Tax Associate - February 4, 2014 ~ August 15, 2014 - full time (roughly 7.5 month worth of experience)
4. Tax Associate/Senior Tax Associate - September 21, 2014 ~August 30, 2015 - full time (roughly 11.5 month worth of experience)

I also have a foreign working experience of 2 months for a summer internship qualifying for NOC 1111, I am assuming I can't use that experience to cover the 0.75 month shortfall, right?

Also, because I was in a junior/contract position, my HR is only willing to list the following as my duties for point 2 and 3:
1. Preparation of US and Canadian income tax return
2. Correspondence with US and Canadian tax authorities on client's tax return issues
3. Participation in the project to design and develop an internal technology tool for the preparation of income tax return

The NOC code I am using is 1111, do you guys think it will be challenged by the CIC since the duties above doesn't really match the 1111 description?
Because I became a permanent staff for experience 4, so my HR is willing to list all the duties I performed on my employer letter which is more in line with the 1111 description.
Considering 2, 3 and 4 are all listed on the same employer letter (they were all done with the same employer), would that help me justifying that 2 and 3 qualify for a NOC 1111 NOC code?

Lastly, my HR is listing my experience from 2, 3 and 4 as continuous, the exact wording on the employer letter is as follows:
"XXX joined the firm on February 19, 2013 and currently holds the position of Senior Associate (NOC Code 1111) in the Tax practice in our Calgary office."
I am thinking this might be misleading to the IRCC.... should I ask the HR to re-write the letter and break it down for each experience?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
It's your responsibility to ensure that you are awarded points correctly. As you have not completed a full year, ee calculates based on a whole month.

You should change the end date to the month before and explain this in your LOE. Unfortunately this means you only have 1 year of work experience.

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
kryt0n said:
It's your responsibility to ensure that you are awarded points correctly. As you have not completed a full year, ee calculates based on a whole month.

You should change the end date to the month before and explain this in your LOE. Unfortunately this means you only have 1 year of work experience.
Hi Kryt0n,

Thanks for the comment!

I just have a follow up question for you if you don't mind.

In addition to the aforementioned experiences, below is a questionable Canadian working experience I have:
1. Tax Associate - September 2015 ~ October 2015 (Part Time)
- Because my PGWP was expiring in October 2015, so went I back to school for a master program as a full time student, but I continued working for my employer on a part time basis. I am wondering, since my PGWP was still valid, could this experience be considered as a qualifying work experience?

I am sorry for the dumb question, I am just trying to figure out if I have additional experience to make up for the 0.75 month experience shortfall because the difference in CRS is quite huge.

Best Regards