+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS CALCULATER) How many TOTAL years of skilled work experience...?

pls-answer

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
I am calculating my CRS score using this tool on the CIC website.
We have these two questions related to one's work experience, one of which is about work experience in CANADA and the other is TOTAL work experience.

I have work experience only in Canada.
How am I supposed to answer to the second question asking how many TOTAL years of skilled work experience I have in the last 10 years?

Does this refer only to FOREIGN work experience OR ALL work experience INCLUDING Canadian exp?

PLEASE ADVISE

abdullahishaq

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
So if i have 2 years of Canadian work exp and do not have any foreign work exp i should select:

i. In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?
2 years

ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of skilled work experience do you have?

None to less than a year

is that correct?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if i have 2 years of Canadian work exp and do not have any foreign work exp i should select:

i. In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?
2 years

ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of skilled work experience do you have?

None to less than a year

is that correct?
Oui.

optimus1509

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015
The question reads "total years of skilled work experience" with no reference to foreign or domestic. So how did you conclude foreign? I would think total means all work experience regardless of where the experience was gained.

I happy to be corrected if I am mistaken. Please clarify.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The question reads "total years of skilled work experience" with no reference to foreign or domestic. So how did you conclude foreign? I would think total means all work experience regardless of where the experience was gained.

I happy to be corrected if I am mistaken. Please clarify.
Simply put, I know about this because I have experience that others don't.

1 - The old CRS official calculator did include the word "foreign". After an update of this calculator (on Nov 19th, 2016 to be exact) IRCC wrongfully made the mistake of omitting the word "foreign"
2 - Let's use the information given by the other poster in this thread who has 2 years of Canadian work experience and no foreign work experience. If he chooses "2 years" to the second question he will get points for 2 years of Canadian work experience and 2 years of foreign work experience. To those who know how points are awarded it will be clear that such score does not reflect the points that such applicant should have.

abdullahishaq

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
bro delpiero07 is correct - u can also see the points if you would choose 2 years in the next field where as i dont have it so i just go for the top option in canada exp which is 2 years

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
We all agree that it is absolutely ridiculous that IRCC does not specify "foreign work experience" there, but that IS what is intended. Canadian and foreign work experience are distinct categories that are treated completely differently, combining them would be meaningless.

kushdewan

Jun 4, 2018
Hi, I have a question. If I have one year of CANADIAN experience and 2 years of part time experience while pursuing my High Schooling, will that work?
Also, I did not mention my part time experience when I applied for my study permit from India so can I mention it now?
Please advise

asish1073

Dec 21, 2017
hello,

If i have no any work experience in canada but i have 6+ year in my home country (INDIA).
i have 6 year exp. as a web developer. how i choose given option below ?

6) Work Experience

It must have been paid and full-time (or an equal amount in part-time).

Note: In Canada, the National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the official list of all the jobs in the Canadian labour market. It describes each job according to skill type, group and level.

"Skilled work" in the NOC is:

• managerial jobs (NOC Skill Level 0)
  • professional jobs (NOC Skill Type A)
  • technical jobs and skilled trades/manual work (NOC Skill Type B)
If you aren’t sure of the NOC level for this job, you can find your NOC.

It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hello,

If i have no any work experience in canada but i have 6+ year in my home country (INDIA).
i have 6 year exp. as a web developer. how i choose given option below ?

6) Work Experience

It must have been paid and full-time (or an equal amount in part-time).

Note: In Canada, the National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the official list of all the jobs in the Canadian labour market. It describes each job according to skill type, group and level.

"Skilled work" in the NOC is:

• managerial jobs (NOC Skill Level 0)
  • professional jobs (NOC Skill Type A)
  • technical jobs and skilled trades/manual work (NOC Skill Type B)
If you aren’t sure of the NOC level for this job, you can find your NOC.

It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).
i. 0
ii. 6

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
thank you for your reply.

Now i confuse regarding
Work Experience and skill transfer
I REALLY NOT UNDERSTAND IT.

Here is my CRS POINT from one of iccrc Licence consultant
http://prntscr.com/l93bs2

Not sure about this one. May have assumed you have done the ECA. Have you?

http://prntscr.com/l93c13
This one is for your FSW score, not your CRS score. It shows you are eligible for the FSW program, but it has nothing to do with your CRS score.

and in http://www.cic.gc.ca
http://prntscr.com/l93ee6
This one cannot be correct, since you have no Canadian work experience.

http://prntscr.com/l93eli
This one only shows the skills tranferrability component, cannot see where it is different... If you haven't done your ECA yet, you will get no points for education. If you HAVE done the ECA but misunderstood the question (it is in the same question as Canadian education), then you possibly answered that question wrong.

http://prntscr.com/l93esd
Since you have 0 years of work experience in Canada, you answer 0. There is a different question for foreign (non-Canadian) work experience.

For your information:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

asish1073

Dec 21, 2017
Thank you for your quick reply by jes_ON

Can you tell me what was ECR ?
How i do that ? Give me information regarding that

I already send all my basic details and my resume to consultant.
They was eveluate my report and give me point.

But only confuson was skill trasfer i got 50+50 point.
My IELTS was assume CBL 9

Now i just want to know that given report by them was true or not...
Kindly guide me please

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.