+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border...

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to post this--I didn't see any more appropriate forum.

My husband (Canadian) and I (American) are planning to move to BC, hopefully next week. As we're getting closer to moving, we want to be prepared for the details of crossing the border.

My husband is a naturalized citizen of the US, so he has a US passport, but not a Canadian one. He does have a Canadian certified birth certificate, as well as old forms of ID from when he lived in Canada. I understand that the combination of documents can be used to prove his citizenship. Has anyone tried this before? We'll be driving across the border.

Also, we'll be moving our belongings at the time. Since he's a citizen, I hope this won't be an issue when we attempt to cross with a moving truck. Does anyone have experience with this? How best to prepare?

Thanks for any help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You cannot move to Canada at this time - all you can do is visit. As a visitor, you're actually not permitted to move your belongings to Canada (apart from what a normal tourist would take which is a suitcase or two). If it looks like you're moving to Canada without authorization, you could be turned back at the border - even issued an exclusion order for a year (effectively a 1 year ban). I would very strongly recommend you travel separately (on your own) - and not come up with the moving truck. Coming into Canada with the moving truck could really complicate your entry.

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
So if my husband travels up by himself with the moving truck, he'd be turned away?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So if my husband travels up by himself with the moving truck, he'd be turned away?
Nope - he'll be fine on his own since he's Canadian. You're the one at risk of being turned away.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to post this--I didn't see any more appropriate forum.

My husband (Canadian) and I (American) are planning to move to BC, hopefully next week. As we're getting closer to moving, we want to be prepared for the details of crossing the border.

My husband is a naturalized citizen of the US, so he has a US passport, but not a Canadian one. He does have a Canadian certified birth certificate, as well as old forms of ID from when he lived in Canada. I understand that the combination of documents can be used to prove his citizenship. Has anyone tried this before? We'll be driving across the border.

Also, we'll be moving our belongings at the time. Since he's a citizen, I hope this won't be an issue when we attempt to cross with a moving truck. Does anyone have experience with this? How best to prepare?

Thanks for any help
Agree with scylla. You do not have the right to move to or live in Canada, so it is a very bad idea for you to show up at the border with all of your stuff. You would most likely be refused and possibly be issued a one year Exclusion Order.

Asking this stuff one week before planning to "move" to Canada is leaving things a bit late. Have you started looking at the sponsorship process? You should also note that depending on your province, you will likely not qualify for provincial health coverage for many months.

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Agree with scylla. You do not have the right to move to or live in Canada, so it is a very bad idea for you to show up at the border with all of your stuff. You would most likely be refused and possibly be issued a one year Exclusion Order.

Asking this stuff one week before planning to "move" to Canada is leaving things a bit late. Have you started looking at the sponsorship process? You should also note that depending on your province, you will likely not qualify for provincial health coverage for many months.
I know I don't have the right to move. My husband will be traveling back to Canada. If I need to, I'll live in the US and complete the process here.

However, from what I understand, there's an option for me to act as a visitor for 6 months in Canada and during that time I'll be able to apply for residency.

I won't be the one showing up with the moving truck, my husband will. I can say that this is a decision we've been considering for awhile. We put our house up for sale and it sold very quickly, so we're in a bit of a time crunch here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know I don't have the right to move. My husband will be traveling back to Canada. If I need to, I'll live in the US and complete the process here.

However, from what I understand, there's an option for me to act as a visitor for 6 months in Canada and during that time I'll be able to apply for residency.

I won't be the one showing up with the moving truck, my husband will. I can say that this is a decision we've been considering for awhile. We put our house up for sale and it sold very quickly, so we're in a bit of a time crunch here.
The 6 months as a visitor is by no means guaranteed (i.e. it's a privilege and not a right). If and how long you are allowed into Canada is entirely up to the CBSA officer you speak to at the border. You could be given the default six months, could be allowed in but for a shorter period of time, or could be denied entry entirely. Arriving in a moving truck filled with your stuff makes it pretty clear that you're moving to Canada - which may or may not be OK with CBSA - but most certainly increases your chances of having problems. Again, very strongly recommend that your husband go with the moving truck and you travel separately from him (i.e. not accompany him). That's the best path to take for achieving the objective you want.

kklamondin

Apr 27, 2020

Thanks for any help
Hi Mel406 - what ended up happening for you?

My husband is Canadian and I'm US. We are in a similar situation, except that I have my PR application in process and I'm driving my car up separately with my son.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You’ll want to check with CBSA before you make the trip with the current restrictions. You may find yourself turned back for non essential travel.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Mel406 - what ended up happening for you?

My husband is Canadian and I'm US. We are in a similar situation, except that I have my PR application in process and I'm driving my car up separately with my son.
Pre-COVID-19 experiences aren't relevant at this point. Circumstances have completely changed.

The border is closed to all but essential travel.

Unfortunately the whole essential travel bit is somewhat of a grey area and not well defined or consistently applied. I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer of what will happen when you arrive. You may be able to enter without issues or you may have challenges if CBSA feels your travel is non-essential.

kklamondin

Apr 27, 2020
Pre-COVID-19 experiences aren't relevant at this point. Circumstances have completely changed.

The border is closed to all but essential travel.

Unfortunately the whole essential travel bit is somewhat of a grey area and not well defined or consistently applied. I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer of what will happen when you arrive. You may be able to enter without issues or you may have challenges if CBSA feels your travel is non-essential.

Thank you for the response, totally aware of those challenges at the moment, but I just wanted to hear how it went for @mel406 in the end...

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Thank you for the response, totally aware of those challenges at the moment, but I just wanted to hear how it went for @mel406 in the end...
Hello! Happy to share our experience - My husband and I entered Canada in March 2018 with only minor bumps. I drove through the crossing in my car and told the CBSA officer that I would be helping my husband move. I was told by the CBSA officer that I wouldn't be able to move with him, as I'd have to file paperwork to immigrate legally. I told them that I was aware of that, and they allowed me entry with no restrictions. My husband drove the moving truck with his belongings and a comprehensive list of what was in the truck. The list was checked and his information confirmed and he was allowed entry. Nothing major, aside from the anxiety of being asked to pull over, park and go inside. I left Canada a couple of months later and when I returned, I applied for permanent residency, of which I received a year ago next week.

All in all, not a horrible experience.

About a month after I'd applied for permanent residency, I made one short trip back to the US for a friend's wedding weekend. Upon returning to Canada, we were pulled inside again and I spoke with the CBSA officer about my application for permanent residency, which they confirmed - told me I'd done everything correctly and there were no issues - and they again let me enter Canada.

My advice: be honest, be prepared to provide proof, and always have ALL the proof you can bring along (even if you think it's too much) so they can see you're being honest.