+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the Border with the least worries

spacemonkey1o1

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Montreal, QC
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for this lengthy question but Ive been reading these forums for a while now and am still not 100% sure the best route is for my problem.

So my wife is a Canadian Citizen but has been living in the US now for the past two and half years on a green card. We are really wanting to move back to Montreal but are trying to figure out the best process for getting there quickly with no problems.

We have come up with 2 scenarios here and are really stressed out on which one is more full proof:

1) Our first plan was to apply inland once in Montreal and she has landed a new job. We settled on the Inland process because I know now I can apply for a work permit (hopefully receiving it within 6 months) while waiting for the spousal sponsorship application to be processed.

Our main concern is me coming into Canada on a travel visa. While living over here in the US my wife has bought a car and we have adopted 2 dogs as well. So we plan on driving back to Montreal seeing as we can take a few things with us and travel with the dogs. But I know approaching the border with a car packed full of stuff and dogs will raise a red flag for me coming in as a traveler. So we have come up with a plan of me buying a roundtrip ticket from Portland to Vancouver, since I have a friend living there that I will visit, and her driving through the border on her own. Now this is where we are questioning if the border patrol will be wondering why she is moving back without her husband and if she will have any troubles getting back into Canada, even though she is a Citizen.

2) The Second plan is we drive together (with our dogs and car packed) then when we get to the border we tell them my intent to enter Canada as a visitor but going to apply for sponsorship (inland) so I can also apply for the work permit that should be accepted within 5 to 6 months. Then let them know that if the work permit has not been processed in the time of my visitor visa would be expiring (after 6 months) I would apply for an extension to my visitor visa within the 30 days of it expiring (all happening after we file for the sponsorship and are waiting for it to process). On top of this we would show proof of my wife having the finances to support me while in Canada and even having an affidavit from her mom (whom lives in Canada) saying she will also have the financial means to support me while waiting for my PR.

Now this is where it makes me nervous because I know that I should still show ties to the US (i.e. family, work, property) but I will be "quitting" my job and I don't own any property in the US. To solve these problems I planned on getting a letter from my Employer stating that I would always be welcomed back there for work and that I left on good terms. Also I planned on having my mom (whom lives in the US) write an affidavit stating that she would always have a room for me at her place seeing as if I needed to return home for any reason.

- I do know that the outland process used to be much faster for family sponsorship but from what I understand now is that they changed it so the inland and outland are equally around 12 months time. The reason we want to do Inland is because I would be able to work about halfway through the process if I receive the work permit.

Hope you stuck with me this far and can help us out in any way. Appreciate it guys!!