+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border with expired PR card

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Hi,

My pr card is expired since 2015 and I am out from Canada since last 8 years. I am 22 years currently.

I recently got U.S study visa, I am further planning to cross the border using that. So my question is, Can i face any problem at border for using US study visa to enter Canada.

It is like, I land at US airport, exit airport and cross border? Will it be consider frauding US study visa? Has any effects on entering Canada with expired pr card.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but What do you mean cross into Canada using a US study visa why do you think this changes anything and having a US study visa for study in the US means you can enter Canada with it ? Why do you think makes any difference to the fact that your PR card has expired and assume you have not met the residency obligation ?

CBSA will only be focussed on your PR status and sure as a PR with an expired PR card you will still be entitled to enter Canada but is likely the process to revoke your PR status will be started subject to appeal.

Of course you could always be a ‘lottery’ winner and just be waved through even with an expired PR card and failed RO but that would mean staying put for 2 years without leaving given the odds of a repeat would be pretty low. Odds of being waved through though without being reported are low.

Some of this discussion already took place here and really you will just need to take your chances at the border, having a US study visa in my view anyway will not make any difference to retain your PR status. But seems you are just using that as a means to get into the US first before trying to get into Canada with your expired PR card .

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-rejected-student-permit-process.536688/page-2#post-7101306

Last edited:

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
@Bs65 : If i get reported, how much time does appeal process takes? In case, I will pursue my masters of 2 years and on the other hand appealing on H&C grounds.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What H&C grounds?? Were you forced to study in the US?
I get the impression based on other posts that the OP applied for a US study visa in order to get into the US so that they could then try to cross back into Canada as a PR this instead of applying for a PRTD on h&C basis as having been removed as a minor.

So basically the OP is playing the system by applying for a US study permit they had no intention of using other than as a means to be able to enter the US so they could take their chances at the Canadian border.

Reactions: foodie69

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
I get the impression based on other posts that the OP applied for a US study visa in order to get into the US so that they could then try to cross back into Canada as a PR this instead of applying for a PRTD on h&C basis as having been removed as a minor.

So basically the OP is playing the system by applying for a US study permit they had no intention of using other than as a means to be able to enter the US so they could take their chances at the Canadian border.
Exactly. How much time does it takes as a whole process of appeal?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly. How much time does it takes as a whole process of appeal?
Nobody can tell you whether how long it will take but likely less than 2 years. During the process your time in Canada will not count towards your PR renewal. To get into Canada you need to show passport and you need to declare your PR status if asked. They can see it on their computers.

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
When you arrive in the US you could be asked to show proof that you will be attending a US school. You would have proof that you are enrolled in the US school. US customs wants to make sure that you are a real student.
I am already enrolled for my classes there? I am
What more they can ask?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
I am already enrolled for my classes there? I am
What more they can ask?
They can ask for proof of payment of the tuition fees. Are you attending the University? If not, you could be charged with misrepresentation as well.

Overall, this plan seems to be fraught with risk on both sides of the botrder

Reactions: Buletruck

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
They can ask for proof of payment of the tuition fees. Are you attending the University? If not, you could be charged with misrepresentation as well.

Overall, this plan seems to be fraught with risk on both sides of the botrder
It is not necessary to pay fee before arival to US university. The fee deadline is mid-September.
Canada can’t deny my entry if I am not wrong? So what else could go wrong?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is not necessary to pay fee before arival to US university. The fee deadline is mid-September.
Canada can’t deny my entry if I am not wrong? So what else could go wrong?
No US customs could refuse to let you into the US for misrepresentation because you are not intending to be a US student.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Got to admit, after reading all your posts, it’s a pretty novel approach to re-enter Canada. Definitely see a few possible issues with gaining entry to the US and entering Canada without being reported. The other issue will be your PR renewal (refusal of your H&C, possible misrepresentation on question 12), but I guess you’ll deal with that when it arrises. If you can get past CBP you shouldn’t have any issue getting into Canada (although CBSA will probably/likely have visibility on your entry, the reasons and your visa, as well as your currrent PR renewal which might make avoiding being reported nearly impossible). I’d love to hear how it all works out for you.