+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border with COPR as a newly landed PR

kambingcairo

Apr 10, 2019
Hey guys,

I have just landed a few days ago and was notified by the CBSA officer processing my landing that I will be required to apply for a PR Travel Document if I go outside Canada and wanted to re-enter which includes going across the border to the US even in a private vehicle.

As far as I know by lurking around this forum you are able to re-enter Canada with your passport and COPR only if you are driving a private vehicle or in a rental car.

Do anyone has a recent experience crossing the US border and re-entering with just a passport and COPR while your PR cards are still processing? Just wondering if there is a change in ruling recently regarding this as I do have plans to go across the border to the US for a visit (I currently live in Toronto)

For the record I hold a passport from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada and I hold a B1/B2 visa for the US valid until 2022.

Thanks very much!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks! I'm getting a little worried since she seems so sure about it and I have never heard or read anything online regarding any change of rules. I would hate to be stranded south of the border!
Personal experience has shown me that some CBSA officers don't actually know the rules.. Chalk it up to experience and move on. You absolutely do not need a PRTD to cross the land border.

kambingcairo

Apr 10, 2019
Personal experience has shown me that some CBSA officers don't actually know the rules.. Chalk it up to experience and move on. You absolutely do not need a PRTD to cross the land border.
I do have the feeling that might be the case as well, because I can see that she hesitated for a bit before telling me I will need to apply for a visa/PR travel document regardless whether I'll be flying or driving across the US border. It's a little complicated as there seems to be no official statement or anything in writing from CBSA/IRCC regarding this issue anyway..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I do have the feeling that might be the case as well, because I can see that she hesitated for a bit before telling me I will need to apply for a visa/PR travel document regardless whether I'll be flying or driving across the US border. It's a little complicated as there seems to be no official statement or anything in writing from CBSA/IRCC regarding this issue anyway..
A PRTD is to get you onto commercial transportation. That's all. If you are traveling in private transport or crossing on foot, you simply don't need it.

(ok, that's a bit of a simplification, as a PRTD issued on H&C grounds is useful for other purposes)

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Reactions: zardoz and canuck78

silvercrown

May 20, 2019
Hi all, I understand this question has been answered many times - that a PRTD is not needed while crossing into Canada by land. But, the CIC website does mention that I would need a Enhanced Drivers license or other documents in lieu of a PRTD or PR Card though?

@kambingcairo - Did you cross the border without any issues, or were you asked for these documents?

I'll br driving from New York to Toronto in 2 weeks, and do not have a PR card or PRTD or EDL.

Again, I'm sorry if asking the same question in many different ways is annoying, but I'm worried. Literally just created a account to get some answers - so you can imagine. Thanks so much!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi all, I understand this question has been answered many times - that a PRTD is not needed while crossing into Canada by land. But, the CIC website does mention that I would need a Enhanced Drivers license or other documents in lieu of a PRTD or PR Card though?

@kambingcairo - Did you cross the border without any issues, or were you asked for these documents?

I'll br driving from New York to Toronto in 2 weeks, and do not have a PR card or PRTD or EDL.

Again, I'm sorry if asking the same question in many different ways is annoying, but I'm worried. Literally just created a account to get some answers - so you can imagine. Thanks so much!
You will need your passport as well as your CoPR. If you have a passport, you don't need a EDL.

kambingcairo

Apr 10, 2019

I got lucky and got my PR card within 2 weeks from landing so I end up just crossing normally. PR cards are processed super fast these days so might worth just waiting for it to avoid any undue hassle/issues from clueless CBSA officers.

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
I got lucky and got my PR card within 2 weeks from landing so I end up just crossing normally. PR cards are processed super fast these days so might worth just waiting for it to avoid any undue hassle/issues from clueless CBSA officers.
Please could you explain how long it takes to process the pr card from the day if landing. I also landed 21st May 2019. Link my pr card application and it's shows pr card submitted 23rd May 2019.

kambingcairo

Apr 10, 2019
Please could you explain how long it takes to process the pr card from the day if landing. I also landed 21st May 2019. Link my pr card application and it's shows pr card submitted 23rd May 2019.
Just watch out for a ghost update on your profile (an e-mail sent to you saying that your profile has been updated) once that happens your application should be approved within a few days time providing your photos didn't get rejected. Mine was accepted at first try hence why I got mine in 2 weeks. Best of luck!

Reactions: Best4best