+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border with a Canadian relative? Any problem for them?

Jun 5, 2018
I am suffering from threats and political persecution in my country. I traveled to USA and I have a brother with Canadian citizenship, I plan to cross the border with my family (wife and minor children) to apply for refuge in Canada. My brother wants to go to the United States and bring us in his car to the border immigration office. My question is, will my brother have a problem with the immigration officials if he does that? He insists on coming for me because I have small children who have already been in enough anguish and stress.
Please, if someone can answer my question. I would not want my brother, who has been so willing to help me, to have some kind of problem doing this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have valid tourist visas your brother should be able to drive you to the border. If you aren't in the US legally that's a different story. Of course there is no guarantee that you will be let into the US by US border security and no guarantee that you will get asylum in Canada.

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Go to viva li casa baffalo make an appointment for border and tell your brother to come at border with his papers

Jun 5, 2018
I just want to clarify that my brother is a Canadian citizen, he has no problem crossing the Canada-USA border. My concern is that if he comes to US to pick us up to take us to the Canadian's border office, he may have some problem with the Canadian officials, I have heard stories of Canadian people taking others to the border to seek asylum and are accused of trafficking human, or may have future problems to make invitations to family or friends, that is my concern

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Although I have no specific information my guess would be that Canadians who have got into trouble were accompanying people crossing into Canada illegally and not through a recognised CBSA border checkpoint.

Even through a legal checkpoint there are no asylum guarantees and although I have no idea cannot see your brother not getting some grief, grief only nothing else from CBSA in accompanying asylum seekers else everyone would try this route. Being accompanied at the border by a citizen would not make any difference to your asylum case one way or the other

Last edited:
Reactions: Reuben Rodrigues

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
No they will detain your brother for smuggling you from us
That is not true. Your brother is a Canadian citizen, therefore he will have no trouble crossing back to Canada. And because you're his sibling, you will be able to claim refugee protection at an official border entry when crossing into Canada with your brother. Since your brother is a Canadian, the third safe country agreement won't apply to you or your children, therefore you will be allowed into Canada if all the other general requirements have been met. Good luck!

Reactions: Reuben Rodrigues
Jun 5, 2018
Thank you very much for your answer sss12345. I had been completely shocked by Misakaswal's response. I'm planning to go to the border this weekend with my Canadian brother, but with Misakaswal's response I was totally willing to change my mind and to look for another alternative to reach the border. It is not easy to plan this action with the stress and suffering that you bring coming from a country without democracy where one and the family has been persecuted and suffered harassment only for having different political thoughts, and especially when one is coming with three children, 8 months, 3 years and 5 years, the situation is not easy and very overwhelming. Maybe Misakaswal wanted to make a joke with her comment, but that kind of jokes in a situation like the one I'm living now only cause more anguish, worry and stress, honestly not really appreciated, but I do really thank you sss12345, at least your comment looks more professional and much more realistic and reassuring, I am really very grateful.

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Reuben i am not here for looking any appriciation just want to let you know i was in the same boat last year with my kids and for you kind information having us and canadian citizen siblings crossed us canada border not for me just the sake of your own child please try to contact cbsa or viva la casa in baffallo and talk with there ligal team then you will get your answer i am really sorry if you feel that way Just tried to explain you canadian citizens are not allowed to take anybody to the border there is a proper channel which can provide you and your brother the liberty of making refugee claim bcz when you came to the border you will first face the cbsa responsible to let you in and its under illigal human trrafiking while accompanying some one who dont have visa making refugee claim at the border is second step not first anyway i only can wish you best of luck May God help you and your family

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
I was not joking in anyway this forum is to help people not for making jokes i dont understand that how people can think like this i told you my personel experience also having four kids having US and canadian sibling i worked on this thing more then six months went to viva la casa all the way from NY city gathered all the information and then crossed border last year in march and just wanted to help other people like me but people want to hear what they like here anyway all the best

Jun 5, 2018
I was not joking in anyway this forum is to help people not for making jokes i dont understand that how people can think like this i told you my personel experience also having four kids having US and canadian sibling i worked on this thing more then six months went to viva la casa all the way from NY city gathered all the information and then crossed border last year in march and just wanted to help other people like me but people want to hear what they like here anyway all the best
I am sorry, It was probably my mistake, your wording is very hard to follow for me, my apologize, and I do really appreciate now your intention. I don't still understand how you crossed the border. Yo have Canadian siblings who took you to the border immigration office? People has also advice us that because mu brother is Canadian, becuase we are relatives and becuase we will be driving small kids too he won't face any problem with immigration officers, but I just wanted to hear if anyone have had that experience. Misakaswal I have been working on this for 5 months so far, it hasn't been easy, it has been very hard for me and my family to leave my country. I am in Montana, so going to Viva la Casa in Buffalo is not an easy option for me.

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
I did not cross with my cnadian citizen sibling i came to canadian side cbsa office with all his documets that i am his real sibling as he declared me when he became permanent resident of canada in his forms my us citizen sibling drop me and my family at viva la casa from there viva lcasa made our apointment at canadian border and the cab took us there i think all you can do is go to canadian border on cab and apply asylum there and tell your canadian brother to be there at canadian side with all the proof that you are his sibling cbsa officers at the border are very nice but keep in mind they are securing borders and very proffesional as well so dont do anything which make trouble for you 1 and half year before i had very same questions as yours i know very well what is on stake so please do your homework and google some ngo who do this in montana you will be fine dont worry but going with your brother at border i think is really a bad idea but it all up to you how you want to proceed take care