+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border as an American married to a Canadian

usperson1

Oct 29, 2023
My wife (Canadian) and I (American) are getting ready to file for spousal sponsorship. We like the freedom that comes with outbound, so we're leaning that way, and we're hoping that I could be able to come up and live with her for at least the non-visitor-record default of 6 months, plus the time it takes them to refuse an extension (but ideally they don't refuse it). My work is fully remote and for an American company, so not having a work permit is not an issue. My worry is: I have read that being married to a Canadian can actually make it harder for CBSA to believe you don't intend to illegally stay (and for the record, I have no intention of doing so). I am here seeking advice on how to maximize my odds of having a successful crossing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife (Canadian) and I (American) are getting ready to file for spousal sponsorship. We like the freedom that comes with outbound, so we're leaning that way, and we're hoping that I could be able to come up and live with her for at least the non-visitor-record default of 6 months, plus the time it takes them to refuse an extension (but ideally they don't refuse it). My work is fully remote and for an American company, so not having a work permit is not an issue. My worry is: I have read that being married to a Canadian can actually make it harder for CBSA to believe you don't intend to illegally stay (and for the record, I have no intention of doing so). I am here seeking advice on how to maximize my odds of having a successful crossing.
Don't pack like you are moving.

Make sure your employment situation doesn't involve any Canadian customers / clients.

Be aware that the six month visit is not guaranteed. If and how long you are allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA.

Ideally you should have evidence of ties to the USA but don't show this unless specifically asked.

Be aware that you are only entering as a visitor and are not allowed to live here. Make sure that's the way you are talking and behaving.

usperson1

Oct 29, 2023
Don't pack like you are moving.
Would it be wise to have my spouse cross the border with our things by herself, and me cross elsewhere?
Be aware that the six month visit is not guaranteed. If and how long you are allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA.
As far as I understand, they can limit you to whatever they want with a visitor record, but if they do not give you a visitor record, 6 months is what you are allowed. Is this correct?
Be aware that you are only entering as a visitor and are not allowed to live here.
Well, what does "live" mean in this context? If I'm going to be somewhere for 6 months, I am definitely living there by some definition of "live", and Canada often allows visitors to stay there for 6 moths, if what I stated above is correct.