+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing into Canadian Border from US with expired PR

Abul K

Dec 11, 2017
Hello,

I am currently living in Canada. My PR card will expire in Feb 2018. I am planning to take an exam in the US sometime in the 1st week of March 2018 and by then my PR would have expired. I was wondering if I will be able to use my Landing Record Papers to cross the border into Canada with a private vehicle. I haven't heard anyone who's had any problems crossing this way, but I wanted to be sure. I won't meet the residency obligation till May 2018, where I can then apply for a PR renewal and I can't delay my exam till that time. Needed some advice please!!

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you don't meet the residency requirement, there's always some chance you may be reported at the border for failing to meet RO (it certainly happens from time to time). If you are reported, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. So the short answer is that yes - some people here have had problems. Having said that, you will hopefully be OK - at least you are only a few months over.

Abul K

Dec 11, 2017
Oh, this is worrying.
If I take the risk of traveling to the US and returning back into Canada by car with only my landing documents and an expired PR, I could be reported?Do they scrutinize a lot at the border? I have been living in Canada for just over a year and a half now.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Every time you enter Canada your RO is scrutinized. Entering without a valid PR card, increases that scrutiny and can result in them reporting you for failing to meet RO.
Personally, if there was any way to delay your trip until you have met RO (plus a couple of months) I would do it.

No one can really tell you if your plan is safe. It's entirely dependent on the CBSA officer you meet that day and there initiative. Not having a valid PR card will most likely trigger secondary inspection, but no one can say for sure.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
You're currently living in Canada, while not meeting residency requirements. You must have managed to 'sneak' into the country somehow without getting reported. You got lucky there, and got a second chance to bring your PR back to good standing. Do you really want to chance it?

If your priority is keeping your PR, wait until you can meet the RO (+ sufficient buffer), then take the exam. You wouldn't need a PR card then. You would not get into trouble if you come back without a valid PR card, provided you meet the RO. IMO, unless it's not some family emergency, it's best to wait until you meet RO before leaving.

Last edited:

Abul K

Dec 11, 2017
I appreciate all your replies. I have been travelling to the US from Canada a couple of times with my valid PR this year. I haven't been scrutinized at any time. I am still in the process of meeting my RO. Now that I understand the risks, my last question is that the worst case scenario that would happen, considering I take the risk, is that I will get reported and I would have to appeal asap from within Canada. Is that correct?