07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Karlshammar said:
There's no requirement for any kind of private health insurance when it comes to spousal sponsorships.
The thing that concerns me is in the manual OP11, pages 19-20.

Procedure: Long-term temporary residents

Some visitors plan to live in Canada for more than six months or up to one or more years, e.g., the spouses of foreign students or elderly parents of Canadian citizens.

In addition to assessing these applicants against normal temporary resident requirements, officers should also satisfy themselves that the host is able to support a long-term visitor and that possible medical emergencies have been covered.

Is the applicant covered for medical emergencies?
• Ensure that the person has appropriate insurance or sufficient funds to adequately cover medical emergencies.
• Lack of medical coverage may constitute a reason for refusing an applicant under A39.
I'm just wondering how much of a concern this may be. I don't think I want to buy emergency medical coverage if there's any chance he won't be allowed to visit.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah, I thought you were talking about the PR application, not a temporary visitor application. I was not aware of this rule but it does make sense. However, I went to Canada for 6 months with no insurance, then got a 1 year extension with no insurance. I didn't get private health insurance until I got a youth mobility work permit, as it was required for that permit.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Karlshammar said:
Ah, I thought you were talking about the PR application, not a temporary visitor application.
Well, I'm talking about a "dual intent" Visitor Record situation where the immigrant is allowed to stay in Canada as a visitor until a decision is made on the VR app. I'm not going to worry about it. It looks to me that Quebec health insurance is available in this situation after only a 3-month waiting period, so I won't expect any emergencies during that time and I think I'll be fine.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
I am a Canadian Citizen sponsoring my US citizen wife via Outland application to join me in Canada. We both currently live in the USA. The sponsorship/immigration application and all supporting documents are complete with the exception of the FBI clearance letter. We are at the 3rd attempt due to ineligible prints and hope this time it is legible. We are planning to drive up to Canada together along with our two kids (dual citizens since born in the USA). My question....if I have applied for sponsorship and it is pending when we drive up together to permanently move to Canada in our car, will we encounter any issues with my wife entering as a visitor until her application is processed/approved? With the exception of a few things in our vehicle (which we are also importing with RIV), all our goods will be shipped up via upack in a container.
Thank you

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Nazirv, you should be fine as long as your application is mostly complete and is paid for. If you've already sent it in, that's even better. I say "should be" but it is always up to the discretion of the officer at the border. They have the option of letting visitors in or not. It's a judgement call.

You imply that "[we] are permanently moving to Canada." You need to keep in mind that only you are permanently moving to Canada. Your wife (at least for the time being) is only visiting you.

The border officer must feel confident that your wife is not permanently moving at this time and that she will indeed return to the U.S. at the end of this visit (unless the PR is approved and then she may not have to). The officer has to be sure that she has the means to return to her home in the U.S. and that she is willing to do so (should the PR the refused for any reason). At minimum, she needs to have a place in the U.S. to call home. The officer also has to have assurances that your wife will not be tempted to work in Canada during her visit. Proof that you are able to support her and assurance that you will are probably called for.

They also want to be sure that she still has significant ties to the U.S. Probably her ties to the U.S. should be stronger than her ties to you. Needless to say, this is difficult to claim.

All that being said, once an inland application is underway, they are urged by the manuals to give permission to a sponsored visitor to remain visiting for as long as they think the application process will take, and if that Visitor Record expires they will normally extend it until you get a yes or no on the PR, as long as you continue to follow all the conditions on your stay.