+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing border right before my work permit expires

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I'm a US citizen and have been in Canada since 2021 on a 2 year closed permit. About a month and a half before expiry, my employers notified me they decided to eliminate my position. I currently have a month left on my closed permit but I'll be leaving Canada in about 2 weeks. I'm shipping some stuff back, and rather than pay international shipping, I'm planning to cross the border to send my stuff back via US post. I won't even be staying in the US, I'll immediately turn right back around to Canada to get the rest of stuff wrapped up before I catch my flight.

Im concerned about CBSA having an issue with letting me back in so close to my expiry. I have a letter from my employer that finalizes my contract, and I'd bring proof of my booked return flight. It's a common crossing for Canadians shipping to the US, so that wouldn't be extraordinary, but I'm wondering if I'm being overly concerned based on my not satisfying the conditions of my work permit (since I'm now not employed).

Anyone have any thoughts/ experience with this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a US citizen and have been in Canada since 2021 on a 2 year closed permit. About a month and a half before expiry, my employers notified me they decided to eliminate my position. I currently have a month left on my closed permit but I'll be leaving Canada in about 2 weeks. I'm shipping some stuff back, and rather than pay international shipping, I'm planning to cross the border to send my stuff back via US post. I won't even be staying in the US, I'll immediately turn right back around to Canada to get the rest of stuff wrapped up before I catch my flight.

Im concerned about CBSA having an issue with letting me back in so close to my expiry. I have a letter from my employer that finalizes my contract, and I'd bring proof of my booked return flight. It's a common crossing for Canadians shipping to the US, so that wouldn't be extraordinary, but I'm wondering if I'm being overly concerned based on my not satisfying the conditions of my work permit (since I'm now not employed).

Anyone have any thoughts/ experience with this?
Shouldn’t be an issue. You have a legitimate reason for to be crossing. If anything I would have proof that you have a place to stay in the US.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Oh I wouldn't be stying in the US on this—it would literally be going to the post office and turning back around. But I would show my flight itinerary on my way back into Canada, plus I have my US driver's license with an address.

I just wondered since I no longer work for that employer if they might have issue letting me back in on that permit since that technically renders it invalid, and isn't a travel doc. I guess they could readmit me as a visitor...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh I wouldn't be stying in the US on this—it would literally be going to the post office and turning back around. But I would show my flight itinerary on my way back into Canada, plus I have my US driver's license with an address.

I just wondered since I no longer work for that employer if they might have issue letting me back in on that permit since that technically renders it invalid, and isn't a travel doc. I guess they could readmit me as a visitor...
[/QUOTE

I must be missing something. Are you not sending your belongings to the US? If your WP is expiring very soon and you aren’t employed you may be asked why you are returning to Canada and your plan going forward.