+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing border after receiving PR in Canada

zhenche

Jun 4, 2020
Hello,

We are looking for some advice. My wife and I came to Canada on a work visa, applied for Express Entry and received PR status, and got our PR cards by December 2022. But recently, it was brought up to us by several people that we still need to cross the border before one year mark of our last medical exam for immigration (which was at the end of May 2022) even though we already have PR cards on hand and received them while being in Canada. So I tried Googling it, and the information is very controversial. Is there more concrete information on whether we must cross the Canadian border even if we received PR cards while in Canada? Any info is highly appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

We are looking for some advice. My wife and I came to Canada on a work visa, applied for Express Entry and received PR status, and got our PR cards by December 2022. But recently, it was brought up to us by several people that we still need to cross the border before one year mark of our last medical exam for immigration (which was at the end of May 2022) even though we already have PR cards on hand and received them while being in Canada. So I tried Googling it, and the information is very controversial. Is there more concrete information on whether we must cross the Canadian border even if we received PR cards while in Canada? Any info is highly appreciated.
Your friend/contacts are wrong. You 'landed' virtually or in an office, which can be done in Canada (and is clearly what you did). Your PR cards are fine and you won't have any issues. It is false that you have to cross the border and come back.

Make a note to yourself which sources are reliable, people pass on all kinds of nonsense.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

The people you are hearing this from are wrong. They don't understand how it works. You are fine. No need to cross the border.

Reactions: zhenche and YVR123

zhenche

Jun 4, 2020
Your friend/contacts are wrong. You 'landed' virtually or in an office, which can be done in Canada (and is clearly what you did). Your PR cards are fine and you won't have any issues. It is false that you have to cross the border and come back.

Make a note to yourself which sources are reliable, people pass on all kinds of nonsense.
Hi. Thanks a lot for the input! Yes, I agree, that made very little sense to me as we already confirmed through the online portal and received a physical copy of the PR cards. You are right, the source is important. This message board has helped me find the correct information for the second time in the past few years. Once again, thanks a lot!

Reactions: armoured

zhenche

Jun 4, 2020
The people you are hearing this from are wrong. They don't understand how it works. You are fine. No need to cross the border.
Hi. It looks like you are absolutely right. Thanks for your time. I really appreciate your input!