+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cross-post: extended work-related visit

alpaca

May 11, 2009
I am so sorry for the cross-post but I want to post in the visitors forum also in case my situation is more relevant to visitor status in Canada.

I am an academic at a US institution and I am also a US citizen. I collaborate closely with a colleague at a Quebec university. My colleague has invited me to spend a year doing research with his group. I would continue to maintain my position at my home institution in the US, receive my salary and benefits from my US institution. I would not maintain a residence in the US while in Canada (although I can receive mail in the US through my parents). I am married but my husband is a dual US/Canadian citizen and so is eligible to live and work in Canada with no special permission and he would come with me.

I have a few questions about my situation that I would be grateful for any advice on:

1. Do I need a visa to live and work in Quebec for a year without entering the Canadian workforce? I think that I would effectively be a visiting scholar that is unpaid in Canada and paid by my home university in the US. I know that I can take a work-related trip to Canada for a short period (for a conference or collaboration, etc) without a visa, but that visits in Canada by Americans are limited to 6 months. I would not want to take the trip if I might have to leave after 6 months. If I do need a visa to stay for a year, can I apply for it before I leave? How would I do that and what type of visa would it be?

2. At the moment, we only intend to stay for a year, however, if I were offered a job in Canada, I may want to apply for permanent resident status with my Canadian spouse sponsoring me. Would my status in Canada while on this 1-year visiting scholar arrangement affect my ability to apply for PR status later?

Thanks for any and all help. I have had a hard time finding information about this particular situation!