+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cross over to Canada by land with an expired card.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi all, Anyone has the experience of crossing over to Canada by land with an expired card?! Please share your experience and the type of documents w=you were required to submit. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have a visa exempt or non visa exempt passport? Makes a huge difference IMO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then I think you should expect that you will be pulled into secondary inspection. However it looks like you've applied for citizenship - so presumably you meet the PR residency requirement. If you meet the PR residency requirement then I would bring proof that you do and hope for the best. If that fails, you can apply for a travel document from the US - again, you shouldn't have any problems getting one provided you meet the PR residency obligation.

Mona_Barca

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Then I think you should expect that you will be pulled into secondary inspection. However it looks like you've applied for citizenship - so presumably you meet the PR residency requirement. If you meet the PR residency requirement then I would bring proof that you do and hope for the best. If that fails, you can apply for a travel document from the US - again, you shouldn't have any problems getting one provided you meet the PR residency obligation.
Scylla -

Does this mean that they might not let you in even you do meet the PR residency requirements. I am from a non-exempt country as well and I am planning on going to US next week and cross boarder by land as my card will expire before I go there. I have applied for PR renewal and my application has just been approved, however I will not receive my new card before my trip.

Thanks

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi Mona_Barca, How long does it take you to get approval on renewing your PR card? which office?! Did they transfer your file to local office as in my case?! Thanks

Mona_Barca

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
egyo said:
Hi Mona_Barca, How long does it take you to get approval on renewing your PR card? which office?! Did they transfer your file to local office as in my case?! Thanks
Egyo -

They received my application on May 13th and approved on August 2nd. So far I have not been transferred to local office, but who knows it might happen. On the approval it says either I will get the new card in the mail, or it will be sent to my local office for program integrity.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Don't worry...my son's aproval has the same message and I picked it up from the local office without any troubles at all. Congrats

Mona_Barca

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
egyo said:
Don't worry...my son's aproval has the same message and I picked it up from the local office without any troubles at all. Congrats
How long it took you from approval to card pick-up?

jeleni

Jan 13, 2006
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug. 2010 - Parent Sponsorship
Doc's Request.
July 30, '14/submitted on 9/12/14
AOR Received.
Dec. 8, 2014
File Transfer...
Jan. 27 '15 to Ottawa (Sponsor's ECAS - DM Feb.2 '15)
Med's Request
May 16,'15
Med's Done....
May 20,'15 w/ addtl test Aug. 24, '15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sep. 30, 2015 / Submitted: Oct. 6, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 26, 2015
Hi egyo,

We crossed the border last long weekend in BC, Aug. 3-5 with my two adult children whose PR cards were approved but not received yet. Mine was received just in time, Friday, Aug. 2. We already planned the trip so with or without the cards, we were ready to cross the border. Before that, my daughter called the CBSA first to confirm if we can go. The person from that office told her to just bring the expired cards and the print out of ecas status online that we got approval. Btw, we are from not visa-exempt countries also. When we were on the border going back to Canada, the Officer told my son (our driver) that his pr card is already expired. We told him that we renewed and approved, but haven't received the cards yet. Then he said, you can go.

Call cbsa to make sure everything is ok during in process, as well. I think, you should be ok.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
@Mona_Barca It took like 5 weeks to get it...but I have heard that if you have travel plans you can make it to the local office early and you might be able to pick it up based on the evidence of travel plans in your hand.
@ jeleni Thanks for your response. Actually, the problem is that mine has not approved yet...it is still in process in the local office to which it has been transferred ten days ago.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mona_Barca said:
Does this mean that they might not let you in even you do meet the PR residency requirements.

If they are satisfied that you are a PR, they must let you enter. If they believe that you do not meet the residency requirements, the worst they can do is report you and you could appeal that but they must let you enter.

Bring your expired PR card and bring some proof of when your trip started so you can prove that you have not been outside Canada for long.

frazme

Sep 10, 2013
Hi jeleni and Mona,

@jeleni i am in the same situation. My PR renwal is showing approved as of 25th Sep and i need to travel abroad. I am not from Visa exempt country but i do have a 10 years US visitors visa. I am currently inside canada but would like to travel abroad and come back via USA and enter canada using my Expired PR Card. Do you think if i show them the eCASE Status showing that PR card is approved and will be issued shortly. Will they let me go from 1st point of entry or refer to secondary checking.

Did the officer let you go from 1st point or referred to secondary checking. Were you driving your own or a rented car?

@Mona, any update on your PR after its approval?

Thanks

jeleni

Jan 13, 2006
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug. 2010 - Parent Sponsorship
Doc's Request.
July 30, '14/submitted on 9/12/14
AOR Received.
Dec. 8, 2014
File Transfer...
Jan. 27 '15 to Ottawa (Sponsor's ECAS - DM Feb.2 '15)
Med's Request
May 16,'15
Med's Done....
May 20,'15 w/ addtl test Aug. 24, '15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sep. 30, 2015 / Submitted: Oct. 6, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 26, 2015
frazme said:
Hi jeleni and Mona,

@ jeleni i am in the same situation. My PR renwal is showing approved as of 25th Sep and i need to travel abroad. I am not from Visa exempt country but i do have a 10 years US visitors visa. I am currently inside canada but would like to travel abroad and come back via USA and enter canada using my Expired PR Card. Do you think if i show them the eCASE Status showing that PR card is approved and will be issued shortly. Will they let me go from 1st point of entry or refer to secondary checking.

Did the officer let you go from 1st point or referred to secondary checking. Were you driving your own or a rented car?

@ Mona, any update on your PR after its approval?

Thanks
Frazme, we drove our own car. The Officer let us in without secondary check.

frazme

Sep 10, 2013
Hi jeleni,

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm. Your son who was driving just showed the expired PR card and a copy of ecase status showing that new card was already approved?

Is it worth taking the risk. I am also waiting for my PR card which is approved but not received yet and I need to travel urgently.

Thanks