+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cross border commute - between Bellingham, WA and Abbotsford, BC

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I am thinking of living in Abbotsford, BC and working in Bellingham, WA. Is there anyone who is doing this?

Thanks.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Thanks for that link. I have read that thread. I know MI-ON and NY-ON are more common for people who are doing the cross border commute. But I was hoping to find someone who is doing it between WA and BC.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
What is your concern?
The border in the east is the same as in the west. As long as you keep up your residency requirements you should be fine.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I researched a bit about Bellingham, WA which is the city close to the border and it seems like it has high crime rate and high housing cost. Hence I am a bit hesitant about deciding to move there. So was hoping to see if I can find someone who lives there.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I researched a bit about Bellingham, WA which is the city close to the border and it seems like it has high crime rate and high housing cost. Hence I am a bit hesitant about deciding to move there. So was hoping to see if I can find someone who lives there.
Yeah, but you want to live in Abbotsford and work in Bellingham..which actually from a crime rate of view is pretty similar. Quite a bit of drugs and gang activity going on in Abbotsford.
Why not live in White Rock? Much closer..or Delta.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiva667

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Thanks for that information. I will look for places in White Rock or Delta in BC.

I have flexibility as to where I can work in north WA as long as it is in Bellingham MSA. Would you be able to suggest safer neighborhoods in north WA?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for that information. I will look for places in White Rock or Delta in BC.

I have flexibility as to where I can work in north WA as long as it is in Bellingham MSA. Would you be able to suggest safer neighborhoods in north WA?
Sorry, no idea. I'm in Vancouver and not familiar enough with Bellingham or WA as such..

su0du0tict

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
@krishere1982 where did you move, finally? I am in the same situation as yours considering a similar arrangement. Any recommendations most welcome.
Hello rawalc,
Did you happen to get any leads or have already moved up.

I was checking Bellingham , but was not sure of the area. If you have already moved up, would appreciate you feedback