+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crohn's disease, Humira, medical inadmissibility

ajwic1

May 19, 2021
I am living in BC and have already submitted my PR through the RNIP program and have completed my immigration medical. As I disclosed I have Crohn's disease in remission since surgery in 2008. I am currently on Humira which is quite a large cost to the government and I am worried that may deem me inadmissible.

I have contacted my doctor who is reccomending I switch to a cheaper biosimilar going forward. I have not received any letter regarding my situation yet. Should I expect one and does anyone have any experience or advice in my next steps going forward? How do I prove my case or what things should I be doing or mindful of?

Vahids

Jun 24, 2021
I am living in BC and have already submitted my PR through the RNIP program and have completed my immigration medical. As I disclosed I have Crohn's disease in remission since surgery in 2008. I am currently on Humira which is quite a large cost to the government and I am worried that may deem me inadmissible.

I have contacted my doctor who is reccomending I switch to a cheaper biosimilar going forward. I have not received any letter regarding my situation yet. Should I expect one and does anyone have any experience or advice in my next steps going forward? How do I prove my case or what things should I be doing or mindful of?
Hello,

Would you please let me know about your PR status now? Because I am on the same road.
Thank you in advance for your help.

chelle1002

Jul 21, 2021
I know this is an old post, but thought I would add to it for anybody in a similar situation.

I just obtained permanent residency (August 2022). I have Crohn's Disease, in remission, well controlled with adalimumab. I am on a bio-similar, rather the Humira (BC does not approve Humira use). When I had my medical, the doctor didn't think the medication would be an issue, but was helpful in adding notes to the effect that my disease is in remission and has never required surgery. I did not receive a procedural fairness letter and was approved for permanent residency not long after the medical.

Thought this might be reassuring for anybody currently in the process or considering it. I know I spent many hours worrying about this before getting approved!

Reactions: moscatojuices

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I know this is an old post, but thought I would add to it for anybody in a similar situation.

I just obtained permanent residency (August 2022). I have Crohn's Disease, in remission, well controlled with adalimumab. I am on a bio-similar, rather the Humira (BC does not approve Humira use). When I had my medical, the doctor didn't think the medication would be an issue, but was helpful in adding notes to the effect that my disease is in remission and has never required surgery. I did not receive a procedural fairness letter and was approved for permanent residency not long after the medical.

Thought this might be reassuring for anybody currently in the process or considering it. I know I spent many hours worrying about this before getting approved!
Congratulations and kudos to the Canadian Government for having the heart to accept you instead of discriminate you on medical issues. Good luck on your future in Canada and make sure you get lots of nature time!

chelle1002

Jul 21, 2021
Congratulations and kudos to the Canadian Government for having the heart to accept you instead of discriminate you on medical issues. Good luck on your future in Canada and make sure you get lots of nature time!
Thank you very much. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to call Canada home! Very grateful to be here. There’s definitely no shortage of nature time opportunities here in BC!