+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal rehabilitation

Tomywhite

Jan 1, 2018
Just been refused on serious criminality section from over 10 years ago, any one have any ideas on how long the processing time are on in Australia at the moment? Sounds bad but the charges and events are basic so I hope things wont take long.. planning on applying alongside permanent residence. Fingers crossed..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's unfortunately very individual. Processing times for rehab seem to be more specific to the person who applies rather than their country. We've seen some people go through in just a few months and others take a few years.

Tomywhite

Jan 1, 2018
Ok, well im a good person that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I have a clean life apart from some bad mistakes and was convicted as a result of not being financially able to defend myself.
but I just hope they can see the change in me from that short time in my life also. I hope to join my loved one in canada and merely just live humbly with her, this will break us both if I am denied.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think it's extremely unlikely you'll be denied. It just may take a while to process.

Tomywhite

Jan 1, 2018
Thank you for the positive comment, much needed. I will just have to gather some character references and write out a statement and hope they understand and hope they don't make us wait forever. I read the stronger the application the faster the processing times, Hoping this is true.

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rehabilitation at an embassy can take anywhere between 6-12 months, but it depends on the urgency you need to go to Canada. For Americans they can actually get these issued at land crossings in a matter of days. However, as an Australian you won't have this option. Generally if 5-10 years have passed you are eligible for rehabilitation. In fact for many convictions you are often deemed rehabilitated after 10 years and you don't even have to submit a rehabilitation app. My wife a traffic offence and after 5 years had passed, I submitted the rehabilitation app for her and she was granted it in a couple of weeks (but this was at a land border crossing with Canada). In all honesty they really just look for the adequate time that has passed. Once that is rubber stamped everything else is just to make them look like they know what they are doing.

In a worse case scenario and you are not granted rehabilitation ( I don't see this happening) , you can apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit). This will allow you to enter Canada if you do not qualify for rehabilitation. These can be granted for a few days or up to a 3 years! If you are granted a TRP for a year or longer you can actually apply for an open work permit and live and work in Canada for however long your TRP is good for, it is also renewable. You can also submit a TRP application simultaneously with your Permanent residency application so if in a worse case scenario and they deny your PR based on criminality, they will often grant you the TRP for 1-3 years.

As a Canadian I do apologize for our system it is very overzealous and makes no logical sense. I wish we had Australia's system, you have to do serious jail time (I think 5-10 years) before you are automatically denied entry.

US2CANADA1

Feb 18, 2018
Rehabilitation at an embassy can take anywhere between 6-12 months, but it depends on the urgency you need to go to Canada. For Americans they can actually get these issued at land crossings in a matter of days. However, as an Australian you won't have this option. Generally if 5-10 years have passed you are eligible for rehabilitation. In fact for many convictions you are often deemed rehabilitated after 10 years and you don't even have to submit a rehabilitation app. My wife a traffic offence and after 5 years had passed, I submitted the rehabilitation app for her and she was granted it in a couple of weeks (but this was at a land border crossing with Canada). In all honesty they really just look for the adequate time that has passed. Once that is rubber stamped everything else is just to make them look like they know what they are doing.

In a worse case scenario and you are not granted rehabilitation ( I don't see this happening) , you can apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit). This will allow you to enter Canada if you do not qualify for rehabilitation. These can be granted for a few days or up to a 3 years! If you are granted a TRP for a year or longer you can actually apply for an open work permit and live and work in Canada for however long your TRP is good for, it is also renewable. You can also submit a TRP application simultaneously with your Permanent residency application so if in a worse case scenario and they deny your PR based on criminality, they will often grant you the TRP for 1-3 years.

As a Canadian I do apologize for our system it is very overzealous and makes no logical sense. I wish we had Australia's system, you have to do serious jail time (I think 5-10 years) before you are automatically denied entry.

Hi
I am a US citizen and I applied for criminal rehabilitation 8 months back and still didn't hear from them.
I just came to know from your post that we can also apply at land crossing or Canadian border.
I never knew that rehabilitation can also be applied this way.
Can you please let me know which border crossing your wife applied for CR and when was it applied.
Thanks.

Last edited:

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
I am a US citizen and I applied for criminal rehabilitation 8 months back and still didn't hear from them.
I just came to know from your post that we can also apply at land crossing or Canadian border.
I never knew that rehabilitation can also be applied this way.
Can you please let me know which border crossing your wife applied for CR and when was it applied.
Thanks.
Yes Applied at the Houlton/Woodstock Border crossing in Maine/New Brunswick. You can do this at most border crossing but avoid the tiny ones, as they generally don't have an immigration official. You can see which border crossings process immigration forms at the CBSA website. .

US2CANADA1

Feb 18, 2018
Yes Applied at the Houlton/Woodstock Border crossing in Maine/New Brunswick. You can do this at most border crossing but avoid the tiny ones, as they generally don't have an immigration official. You can see which border crossings process immigration forms at the CBSA website. .
Hi,

Thank you very much for the helpful information..
May God bless you :)

US2CANADA1

Feb 18, 2018

when did you apply Rehab this way ? i mean the date ?

Needimhere

Jun 21, 2018
My boyfriend in Australia has had to send in his rehabilitation letter he did that on May 2nd of this year and they sent an email back on May 21 requesting the $1000.00 payment which we sent that day.. has anyone else done this and if so how much longer do we have to wait for an answer. Thanks for answering I’m stressing out

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend in Australia has had to send in his rehabilitation letter he did that on May 2nd of this year and they sent an email back on May 21 requesting the $1000.00 payment which we sent that day.. has anyone else done this and if so how much longer do we have to wait for an answer. Thanks for answering I’m stressing out
Unfortunately it's really hard to say. Sometimes rehabilitation takes a couple of months and sometimes it takes over a year.