+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal rehabilitation - my experience

Pad57

May 14, 2019
I received email saying approved after 11 months - now what
Can you just enter Canada, what do you have to bring with - just copy of letter?
Has anyone entered after being approved for criminal rehabilitation?
What happens at border

rtsmith1929

May 11, 2019
@Pad57

I just came into Canada for the first time since my approval. I got pulled into secondary at customs. The officer said that he didn't know why but I was "marked". So I mentioned that it was probably to do with my recent criminal rehab approval. I had a hard copy of the approval letter with me so I gave that to him. He typed in some info into his computer, stamped my passport, and I was on my way. He said to carry that letter with me anytime that I come to Canada. He mentioned that the CR essentially puts an asterisk next to my name in their system for a period of time, so I might get pulled into secondary until it drops off in the future.

Congrats on your approval!

ThisStinks11

Sep 13, 2018
Hello everyone,

Great news!!! Yesterday (May 25th 2019) I received my Criminal Rehabilitation approval via mail! In my initial post referring to my boyfriend’s experience I said he received an e-mail with approval, sorry I was mistaken. They mail it to you in the prepaid envelope which they request in the Criminal Rehabilitation application checklist. So I either mailed my stuff or they received it on September 4th and May 25th I was approved! So just under 9 months it took for my CR approval. I hope this timeline and information is helpful and good luck to everyone :)

Heisartsy123

May 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I am asking for my brother as he wishes you visit us in canada (myself and my another brother).

My brother had been convicted for DUI in australia in 2009 with 0.1179 and driving in opposite lane. He was fined $400 and 3 months license ban. After that he applied for Visitor Visa for canada couple of times, although no success (he somehow missed to mentioned about DUI in his applications)

Just wondering if he can apply for rehabilitation or is he deemed rehabilitated as its been more than 10 years. If not, if he applies for CR, will this be issue an with Immigration that he missed to mention in his previous applications?

Your help will be really appreciated. Thanks.

Tracy1717

Jun 24, 2019
I am in the US filing my CR and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I had a DWAI and breathalyzer refusal. Any idea where can I find the corresponding Canadian laws? I’m struggling to find the actual laws I need. Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:

stacyann1971

Jul 23, 2019
Since you have experience fill out the form.
I know one of these CORI not sure which. Not sure what else they are looking for.

A criminal clearance from the police authorities in all countries (including Canada) where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18

For people who have lived in the United States: Provide a state certificate (or a letter from a police authority) for each state in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

Can anyone help?

SinghHarry

Jan 29, 2019
Since you have experience fill out the form.
I know one of these CORI not sure which. Not sure what else they are looking for.

A criminal clearance from the police authorities in all countries (including Canada) where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18

For people who have lived in the United States: Provide a state certificate (or a letter from a police authority) for each state in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

Can anyone help?
CORI?

dshobbs87

Jul 28, 2019
I just applied for one as if it was the first time, but made sure to mention that I already had one, gave the number for the old one, and told them I wanted a new one that reflected my circumstances and included the approval number for the rehabilitation. I got it approved very quickly.

It all worked out, I now have PR.
Hi, thanks so much for sharing this! As someone in a similar situation it has given me some optimism I might be able to work things out.

Could I just clarify, did you apply for rehabilitation prior to submitting your revised application for an eta? Did you receive any procedural fairness response when you submitted for an eta with a different answer to your original one? And how did this impact your PR application?

soliloquy

Nov 3, 2016
Hi, thanks so much for sharing this! As someone in a similar situation it has given me some optimism I might be able to work things out.

Could I just clarify, did you apply for rehabilitation prior to submitting your revised application for an eta? Did you receive any procedural fairness response when you submitted for an eta with a different answer to your original one? And how did this impact your PR application?
I applied for and was approved for rehabilitation before submitting my request for a new eta. I didn't get any procedural fairness response, but it did take about 2-3 weeks to get the new eta. I wrote an explanation in the notes box when I applied for the new eta and they accepted it. My PR application wasn't impacted in the slightest. I had my application approved after 3.5 months.

Reactions: dshobbs87

dshobbs87

Jul 28, 2019
Can anyone clarify whether it is necessary to apply for criminal rehabilitation if the incidents occurred whilst under 18?

As per the OP I mistakenly thought I had no record when applying for eta which I need to correct however I’m confused if applying for rehab is necessary as the incidents were 15 years ago whilst I was a minor.

soliloquy

Nov 3, 2016
Can anyone clarify whether it is necessary to apply for criminal rehabilitation if the incidents occurred whilst under 18?

As per the OP I mistakenly thought I had no record when applying for eta which I need to correct however I’m confused if applying for rehab is necessary as the incidents were 15 years ago whilst I was a minor.

If it's on your record then you need to declare it.

Reactions: atosoto

dshobbs87

Jul 28, 2019
If it's on your record then you need to declare it.
Sure, I understand that.

But would applying for criminal rehabilitation be applicable because according to the application webpage you are not deemed inadmissible if it occurred when you are under 18.

soliloquy

Nov 3, 2016
Sure, I understand that.

But would applying for criminal rehabilitation be applicable because according to the application webpage you are not deemed inadmissible if it occurred when you are under 18.
Then you have your answer! If that's what the page says, then you don't need to do it.