+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

criminal charges dropped

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Charges were dropped in July 2020 and I filed for citizenship in December 2020.
Should I hire a lawyer now and send a letter of explanation to ircc or will they follow their process regardless?
Since the charges were dropped (that is, assuming they were fully dismissed), and that happened before you applied for citizenship, they will have NO impact on your eligibility for citizenship.

As I previously noted:
Fingerprint requests, and sometimes a request for copies of the official court records to verify the outcome of the charges, is typical. This is of course non-routine processing and can cause some delay in being scheduled to take the oath. But again, where the charges were totally dismissed (dropped), they will not affect your eligibility for citizenship. It just might take a little longer.​

Having law enforcement destroy fingerprints and photographs will NOT change this. That mostly affects public access to information about the charges.

Other than provide the finger prints in response to IRCC's request, there really is nothing else you need to do . . . except wait to see if you get a request for copies of the official disposition in the court records.

Other than that bit of non-routine processing to verify the outcome of the case, this is NOT a problem for your citizenship application.

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
1.Scenario

No worries if charges are dropped you can apply when your probation is over, i guess they gave u probation as they do must dropped cases. and on question on citizenship app form about criminality you check NO NO NO NO.

2.Scenario

if u have no probation or any restrictions on your dropped case u can apply NOW today. and on question on citizenship app form about criminality you check NO NO NO NO.

OUT OF curriousity! that charge must rocked that community because RCMP deals with only huge cases that Provincial police departments dont want to touch like if u get accused affair with kids, or terror plot.

Why wasnt local or provincial police!
Not the OP. Just wanted to chime in about your curiosity.

Not all provinces have a provincial police force and not all cities have a local PD.

For many provinces like mine for example (BC), RCMP is the official provincial force. Same is the case for my city (Burnaby) that also uses RCMP as its local police. Only few cities in BC like Vancouver, West Vancouver, New Westminster, Delta and Port Moody have their own police force and everywhere else in BC its RCMP.

Edit: Sorry I should have checked that I am replying to a really old post that got bumped up recently.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply! One last question. Should I hire a lawyer now and send a letter of explanation to ircc or will they follow their process regardless?

That's up to you. And it's not necessary.

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022
Since the charges were dropped (that is, assuming they were fully dismissed), and that happened before you applied for citizenship, they will have NO impact on your eligibility for citizenship.

As I previously noted:
Fingerprint requests, and sometimes a request for copies of the official court records to verify the outcome of the charges, is typical. This is of course non-routine processing and can cause some delay in being scheduled to take the oath. But again, where the charges were totally dismissed (dropped), they will not affect your eligibility for citizenship. It just might take a little longer.​

Having law enforcement destroy fingerprints and photographs will NOT change this. That mostly affects public access to information about the charges.

Other than provide the finger prints in response to IRCC's request, there really is nothing else you need to do . . . except wait to see if you get a request for copies of the official disposition in the court records.

Other than that bit of non-routine processing to verify the outcome of the case, this is NOT a problem for your citizenship application.
Thank you so much! I appreciate all your guidance

Javeline

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
AOR Received.
12/4/2017
IELTS Request
Along with application
File Transfer...
12/5/2017
Med's Request
24/4/2018
Med's Done....
11/5/2018 - pass 3 days later
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
23/5/2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2018
LANDED..........
Sep 2018
My story:
in Aug 2020 I had an argument with my wife and she called the police, I was arrested and charged with domystic violence. After checking everything, police took my fingerprints, released me and I got Stay of proceeding.

in Sep 2021 I applied for citizenship and in prohibition part I choose No No No.

However, I was asked to take FP by CIC on 28 Feb
I took fingerprints on 1 Mar (fingerprint agency) and in tracker it still shows waiting on you.
In order to make sure I don’t miss CIC deadline. I went to RCMP to take one more time on 1 Apr.

I got test invitation on 5 Apr.

Problem here is I am still very worried as in FP request CIC said “ your fingerprints must be taken within 90 days from this letter” and what I learnt from RCMP that RCMP needs at least 120 days to process my criminal check if there is a match (for which I had as they saved my FP in 2020).

Could someone here shed a light on me, do I have problem with CIC after 90 days of FP request as they might not receive my FP within next 3-4 months. Should I contact CIC and explain to them?

Thank you.

Fingercrossed.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
My story:
in Aug 2020 I had an argument with my wife and she called the police, I was arrested and charged with domystic violence. After checking everything, police took my fingerprints, released me and I got Stay of proceeding.

in Sep 2021 I applied for citizenship and in prohibition part I choose No No No.

I took fingerprints on 1 Mar (fingerprint agency) and in tracker it still shows waiting on you.
In order to make sure I don’t miss CIC deadline. I went to RCMP to take one more time on 1 Apr.

Problem here is I am still very worried as in FP request CIC said “ your fingerprints must be taken within 90 days from this letter” and what I learnt from RCMP that RCMP needs at least 120 days to process my criminal check if there is a match (for which I had as they saved my FP in 2020).

Could someone here shed a light on me, do I have problem with CIC after 90 days of FP request as they might not receive my FP within next 3-4 months. Should I contact CIC and explain to them?

Thank you.

Fingercrossed.
Getting married is so scary...You should divorce her...I guess this will appear on your level 2 police check (CPIC) for 5 years. Local police usually record it permanently even after 5 years in their Police Information Portal (PIP). You should move elsewhere to avoid employers pulling your local file (even after 5 years).
I dated a Canadian girl. Even after I harassed her so much, she still chose not to call cops. After hearing what you said, I really appreciate her patience with me. Eventually I stopped messaging her...
In terms of the processing time, CIC has agreement with RCMP internally on service standard. I don't think it'll be a problem once you submitted your fingerprint. It is now in their hands. Just wait...

Last edited:
Reactions: Javeline

Yanvual

Mar 11, 2022
My story:

Thank you.

Fingercrossed.

In July 2021 I’ve been offered a job in one of the biggest companies in Canada, They did an enhanced check, found something and asked me to take my FP. Which I did in August 2021 another one in October 2021 and you know what I just received the reports 10 days ago. The company hired me in October without the results because they needed me.

At the beginning of March I’ve been asked by cic to take my fingerprints which I did the same day and still nothing,I paid for 2 reports.

10 days ago I decided to take another FP, and guess what I received the results of this one after 1 week only

Reactions: Javeline

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
In July 2021 I’ve been offered a job in one of the biggest companies in Canada, They did an enhanced check, found something and asked me to take my FP. Which I did in August 2021 another one in October 2021 and you know what I just received the reports 10 days ago. The company hired me in October without the results because they needed me.

At the beginning of March I’ve been asked by cic to take my fingerprints which I did the same day and still nothing,I paid for 2 reports.

10 days ago I decided to take another FP, and guess what I received the results of this one after 1 week only
I'm glad their hired you. Some companies don't do background check.

Reactions: Yanvual

Javeline

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
AOR Received.
12/4/2017
IELTS Request
Along with application
File Transfer...
12/5/2017
Med's Request
24/4/2018
Med's Done....
11/5/2018 - pass 3 days later
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
23/5/2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2018
LANDED..........
Sep 2018

So you meant you received 2 results, 1 for Oct 2021 and 1 for new one in 2022?
RCMP sometimes takes a lot of time for FP verification

Yanvual

Mar 11, 2022
So you meant you received 2 results, 1 for Oct 2021 and 1 for new one in 2022?
RCMP sometimes takes a lot of time for FP verification
I’ve received 2 reports for requests of Auguste and October 2021. And another report for the the request that I’ve just sent in late of March.
For the two requests of the beginning of March still nothing.

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022
You do NOT have criminal record. They deleted your finger prints 6.months after you been arrested. Do not worry.

1.Send your application with copy of your Court documents.

2.Do not send finger prints before they send you send letter with ASKING TO DO THAT.

3.Do your finger prints at local police office. It is cheaper and faster than RCMP.
Did you get any interview request? Charges against me were dropped before I filed for citizenship. I submitted my FP and now got a request for citizenship.