+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

criminal charges dropped

GG1

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hi i am wondering if anyone can share if they had the suituation i have.
i was falsy accused for assult and charged by the rcmp and the later the crown dropped my charges.its been almost a year now i am thinking to apply for citizenship so i was wondering will my application get rejected because ofthe case i had .what is the best thing to do before i apply for citizenship? so as my pr has 3 more year to get expired does the case affects my pr renewal in future?
any advise would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
i was falsy accused for assult and charged by the rcmp and the later the crown dropped my charges.its been almost a year now i am thinking to apply for citizenship so i was wondering will my application get rejected because ofthe case i had .what is the best thing to do before i apply for citizenship? so as my pr has 3 more year to get expired does the case affects my pr renewal in future?

Thanks
I do not know about the PR renewal and citizenship, but my study permit was renewed with out any problem after my charge was stayed by crown. I do not think so it would effect the PR renewal. I am also planning to apply for PR in future. do you have any suggestions ?

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan

Thanks
Talk to a lawyer or “the experts” in this forum. I bet they’ll confuse you even more lol

You’ve been charged by the cops, and later on your arraignment the charges where dropped. You where never been convicted haven’t you?
If not, the requirement for citizenship is to be in good standing. No convictions.

Lots of smart people around this forum, even pretenders who tries to escape their sorry reality, it is funny.

Good luck and I hope you become a canuck soon!

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
1.Scenario

No worries if charges are dropped you can apply when your probation is over, i guess they gave u probation as they do must dropped cases. and on question on citizenship app form about criminality you check NO NO NO NO.

2.Scenario

if u have no probation or any restrictions on your dropped case u can apply NOW today. and on question on citizenship app form about criminality you check NO NO NO NO.

OUT OF curriousity! that charge must rocked that community because RCMP deals with only huge cases that Provincial police departments dont want to touch like if u get accused affair with kids, or terror plot.

Why wasnt local or provincial police!

GG1

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
thankyou so much for making the scenario so smooth and easy to understand jamie and newuser2018 .the more people you talk with the more confusing we get into.so i just applied for the citizenship on the end of october with check no no no no.lets see what happens.
cheerz.:)

Purke23

Jul 24, 2017

Thanks
Do not worry bro.I was charged for assault too after my wife called police.Just send a copy from the court with your application together. They will later ask finger prints from you. If you have no criminal records do not worry. You will become Citizen.

I just passed test and waiting for the Oath now.

Do not worry and good luck!:)

GG1

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
thanks a lot purke23 for sharing .appriciate.i did exactly as u said .so were you finger printed at rcmp when the charges were laid ? I assume as soon the charges were dropped we shud be good right? Or do we still have criminal record for cic purpose ?

Purke23

Jul 24, 2017
You do NOT have criminal record. They deleted your finger prints 6.months after you been arrested. Do not worry.

1.Send your application with copy of your Court documents.

2.Do not send finger prints before they send you send letter with ASKING TO DO THAT.

3.Do your finger prints at local police office. It is cheaper and faster than RCMP.

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022
Hey,
I am going through the same problem. I just gave my citizenship test and have been asked for fingerprints. The charges were dropped against me. Will I have any issues in my citizenship?

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022

Thanks
hey I am going through the same problem. I gave my citizenship test and have been asked to submit fingerprints. Charges were dropped before I applied for my citizenship. Will this result in refusal of my citizenship?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hey I am going through the same problem. I gave my citizenship test and have been asked to submit fingerprints. Charges were dropped before I applied for my citizenship. Will this result in refusal of my citizenship?
If the charges were dropped, they do not constitute a prohibition and thus do not preclude you from being granted citizenship.

Fingerprint requests, and sometimes a request for copies of the official court records to verify the outcome of the charges, is typical. This is of course non-routine processing and can cause some delay in being scheduled to take the oath. But again, where the charges were totally dismissed (dropped), they will not affect your eligibility for citizenship. It just might take a little longer.

That said, of course when the charges were made and pending, and other factors, might be significant. If an assault charge was pending when you applied for citizenship, that should have been disclosed in the application prohibitions section. If it arose after applying, IRCC should have been notified. The details matter. Technically a failure to notify IRCC of the pending charges could constitute misrepresentation but where the charges have been dropped, that is not likely.

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022
You do NOT have criminal[/QUOTE]
If the charges were dropped, they do not constitute a prohibition and thus do not preclude you from being granted citizenship.

Fingerprint requests, and sometimes a request for copies of the official court records to verify the outcome of the charges, is typical. This is of course non-routine processing and can cause some delay in being scheduled to take the oath. But again, where the charges were totally dismissed (dropped), they will not affect your eligibility for citizenship. It just might take a little longer.

That said, of course when the charges were made and pending, and other factors, might be significant. If an assault charge was pending when you applied for citizenship, that should have been disclosed in the application prohibitions section. If it arose after applying, IRCC should have been notified. The details matter. Technically a failure to notify IRCC of the pending charges could constitute misrepresentation but where the charges have been dropped, that is not likely.
Charges were dropped in July 2020 and I filed for citizenship in December 2020. Although I did not file for record of suspension to have the charges sealed. Is that ok or should I have filed for record of suspension?

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do NOT have criminal

Charges were dropped in July 2020 and I filed for citizenship in December 2020. Although I did not file for record of suspension to have the charges sealed. Is that ok or should I have filed for record of suspension?
[/QUOTE]

You should send a request to your local police station to have your fingerprints and photographs destroyed.

Ava 123

Feb 22, 2022
You should send a request to your local police station to have your fingerprints and photographs destroyed.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply! One last question. Should I hire a lawyer now and send a letter of explanation to ircc or will they follow their process regardless?