+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Credit card

cguidi77

Feb 12, 2010
I have read somewhere that newcomers might have difficulties in getting a credit card from canadian banks. Is this true?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cguidi77 said:
I have read somewhere that newcomers might have difficulties in getting a credit card from canadian banks. Is this true?

Thanks
Yes as you would have no credit rating in Canada. To start, you may want to get a Dept. Store Card, or a secured card from a bank, where you deposit $xx.00 and you get a Card with the amount that you deposited as the limit. Eventually if you are a good boy and pay the bills, they will give you an unsecured card.

PMM

A

anushauc

http://scotiabank.com/mcben/cda/content/0,1679,CCDmcben_CID3311_LIDen_SID124_YID29,00.html

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
cguidi77 said:

Thanks

capital one also gives newcomer a card, they charge $75 annually and card limit from $500-$1000. Also, try home trust, they also give newcomer card.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
shmuhahaha said:
Will U.S credit history carry over to Canada?
i guess so because when companies/bank pull your credit history, it shows everything you owe. i think USA credit history should show.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Canada and the United States have different credit reporting agencies governed by different laws. A Canadian creditor can only access your U.S. credit file if you give them specific permission to and then there may be legal issues regarding them denying you Canadian credit based on information contained in your U.S. credit report. At any rate, U.S. credit information should never appear on your Canadian credit file and vice versa. That would violate laws on both sides of the border.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Can anyone tell me if the credit rating scores from the UK show up on a Canadian credit report?

Is it the same for the UK as it is for America...different Credit Scoring rules??

I have a A+ Credit Score in the UK but no credit history in Canada at all, so hoping that the ratings can be cross referenced.

nilsej

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
I think Scotia is the best option as they have program tailor made for new immigrant and which might help to give u a unsecured credit card with manageable credit limit.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
PMM said:
Hi

Yes as you would have no credit rating in Canada. To start, you may want to get a Dept. Store Card, or a secured card from a bank, where you deposit $xx.00 and you get a Card with the amount that you deposited as the limit. Eventually if you are a good boy and pay the bills, they will give you an unsecured card.

PMM
Dear PMM,

I was wondering -how is PC Financial?

Qorax