+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Credential Evaluation for IT Professional?

dctcanada999

Nov 17, 2010
Hi all,
We got our PR visa and are planning to land in Toronto by mid Jan 2011. My husband has been in IT field for 10 yrs, having worked in the US for a US client (base branch of his company being in India) for 7 yrs. We wanted to get his credentials evaluated before we land in Canada. Is it possible? If so, how do we go about it. I saw the WES website, but didn't get much idea as to how it is to be done. Since his education was entirely in India, do we need to approach the universities he went to in India to get reference letters (Anyone from India knows that it is a very tedious (next to impossible ??? process!!!)) or do we approach an official Canadian evaluation firm to get his degrees and work experience evaluated? If we are to get it done by a Canadian Evalutaion firm can seniors pls suggest a few websites and the estimated cost to do it? Can we get it done before we land in Canada?

Thanks to all
dctcanada999

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that credentials evaluation for IT can be a waste of time and money. For IT all he will need is a reference in the US that can answer a few questions from a potential employer here and, if he has any, the international certifications (MS, CISCO, etc.) or trainings he may have taken in the USA or India.

Just my 2 cents.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a similiar opinion. If you have strong work referneces that can talk to your level of competency that will be more important, so make sure 1) you get the work related references before you leave and 2) though it may seem obvious, ensure you ASK them to be a reference, don't assume. Paper/written references are really not that valuable anymore, as I know they're always going to be positive and only show you in a positive light. As an interviewer and someone who does refernece checks, I want to actually speak to someone, so I can ask my questions. I want to really 'listen' to the person and ask follow-up or probing questions as necessary.

dctcanada999

Nov 17, 2010
Thankyou Careercoach and Thezieglers for yur prompt reply. I too agree with you both but I just wanted to check if it was beneficial. He is now working on getting his PMP certification done for better job prospects.

God bless!
dctcanada999