+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cra Reassessment/ not eligible for gst/hst

Jaychance

Jul 7, 2021
Is there anything like GST/HST DEBIT??
Hi, I have a situation going on after I got my PR in the end of July 2021. (I was a temporary resident on student visa since 2017 and filed all my taxes )

As I became a permanent resident, I got a new sin number and I had to create a new CRA account with my new sin number. When I logged in, I saw that I have new messages where it said that I am no longer eligible for otb and gst/hstc and I need to repay everything. I had the same message for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

For the explanation, it says that there was an update to the information on file and that my residence requirements are not met (which is clearly a mistake since I was in Canada all that time).

Last edited:

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi, I have a situation going on after I got my PR in the end of July 2021. (I was a temporary resident on student visa since 2017 and filed all my taxes )

As I became a permanent resident, I got a new sin number and I had to create a new CRA account with my new sin number. When I logged in, I saw that I have new messages where it said that I am no longer eligible for otb and gst/hstc and I need to repay everything. I had the same message for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

For the explanation, it says that there was an update to the information on file and that my residence requirements are not met (which is clearly a mistake since I was in Canada all that time).
yea ive seen that happen, give them a call. essentially, you will need to upload your proof of status (study/work permits) for all those years. somewhere someone messed up and didnt link your previous statuses to your new one. No big deal, it happens frequently.

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018

Could you please tell me what have you done ? I am in the same situation now and I dont know what to do ... did you call them ? how long you had to wait ?

Jaychance

Jul 7, 2021
Could you please tell me what have you done ? I am in the same situation now and I dont know what to do ... did you call them ? how long you had to wait ?
Call them and let them know the date or year you got to Canada and they will know you were eligible for the gst you received in the past..it more like an auto generated message most people get after they get pr

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Call them and let them know the date or year you got to Canada and they will know you were eligible for the gst you received in the past..it more like an auto generated message most people get after they get pr
Thanks for the reply. I feel like the agent did not want to help me as they asked me to call the benefits office for GST and Ontario office for the o
OTB. The GST said that he made a request for my taxes to be reassessed while ontario asked me to wait and the system should update ... what happened to you ?

Jaychance

Jul 7, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I feel like the agent did not want to help me as they asked me to call the benefits office for GST and Ontario office for the o
OTB. The GST said that he made a request for my taxes to be reassessed while ontario asked me to wait and the system should update ... what happened to you ?
I don’t really remember what he said but he did talk about putting a priority request to get this checked since he could see from my account I filed all my taxes when i was supposed to and I have been in Canada since..try to call and see if tou get connected with another agent maybe

Reactions: engimam

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
I don’t really remember what he said but he did talk about putting a priority request to get this checked since he could see from my account I filed all my taxes when i was supposed to and I have been in Canada since..try to call and see if tou get connected with another agent maybe
Thank you