+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA auto registration

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
Do all landing immigrants get registered automatically with the CRA??
Like the addrrss you give at the airport etc, does this information get shared automatically to CRA

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Do all landing immigrants get registered automatically with the CRA??
Like the addrrss you give at the airport etc, does this information get shared automatically to CRA
No it does not work like that. Your first tax return will be paper, fill the form and send it to them by mail. During your second tax return you can open an account online with them as they will have all your info from your first tax return. You cannot open an online account with them if you never submitted by mail your first tax return.

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
No it does not work like that. Your first tax return will be paper, fill the form and send it to them by mail. During your second tax return you can open an account online with them as they will have all your info from your first tax return. You cannot open an online account with them if you never submitted by mail your first tax return.
Thanks a lot for replying back
I have another question that I have posted earlier but got not response.
My bank RBC has me as a tax resident on their file (i have an account with zero dollars) and a brand new credit card thats never used. But probably they did that because the address provided was Canadian (which I didnt know makes me a tax resident for the bank despite me telling the banking advisor that I am here temporarily and leaving to work outside Canada)
Anyways, my question is, does this bank status obligate me as a tax resident or its deemed insignificant to my actual tax residency status.
P.S. I called cra and they told me Indont need to file taxes for the year 2019 (in which i soft landed)

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
The reason i am asking the above question is that I want to make sure that I am not breaking any laws of any sorts

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thanks a lot for replying back
I have another question that I have posted earlier but got not response.
My bank RBC has me as a tax resident on their file (i have an account with zero dollars) and a brand new credit card thats never used. But probably they did that because the address provided was Canadian (which I didnt know makes me a tax resident for the bank despite me telling the banking advisor that I am here temporarily and leaving to work outside Canada)
Anyways, my question is, does this bank status obligate me as a tax resident or its deemed insignificant to my actual tax residency status.
P.S. I called cra and they told me Indont need to file taxes for the year 2019 (in which i soft landed)
If you did not have any canadian income for 2019, it's not a must to fill a tax return, but most people will tell you that you should fill one even if you have zero dollars income in 2019. Especially if you are a PR and for your future citizenship application this is a must. For your bank maybe they call you a tax resident because of your status ( being a PR ). You can be a resident of canada but not resident for tax purposes you should talk to your accounting.

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
If you did not have any canadian income for 2019, it's not a must to fill a tax return, but most people will tell you that you should fill one even if you have zero dollars income in 2019. Especially if you are a PR and for your future citizenship application this is a must. For your bank maybe they call you a tax resident because of your status ( being a PR ). You can be a resident of canada but not resident for tax purposes you should talk to your accounting.
Is it a must to file or is it a must to be obliged to the tax filings rules??

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
I just also wanted to ask if the tax resident status on the bank file important?
I mean is it a deciding factor to my tax residency status ??