+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoVID19 Travel Ban by Canada on All Foreign Nationals-Does it include COPR holders? Will my airline allow me to fly from India to Toronto?

Roger Heeralal

Mar 18, 2020
I think the issue is that you didn’t cancel in advance. Would call air canada and argue that you thought you could land because you would get to Canada before 12pm. It may take a few days to get through. Unfortunate that you didn’t call last week and try to change your ticket to arrive earlier. Apparently they were allowing free changes if there was room on the plane.
We tried to move up our flights but there were none.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is a bit tricky situation. If they open the boarder 01/05 for example, it isn't easy to book and travel within 3 days.
Would wait 2 weeks. You have a better argument for an extension if you only have 1 month left on your COPR and it will likely be more clear on how ling this may last.

Roger Heeralal

Mar 18, 2020
Has anyone that have raised a web form received any info as what CIC is saying about extensions of COPR due to ban restrictions.imposed by Canadaand not the applicant fault.since flight and apt have already been made

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Also depends on when your COPR expires. Some people hadn’t booked flights so proof is needed. If it doesn’t expire for 1-2 months they may not give out extensions yet.
I don't know why you keep saying flights or proof is required. That is not specified by IRCC. All they require is a Webform informing them that the person cannot travel within the validity of the document. As there is no end date given for the ban, that applies to anyone holding a COPR right now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't know why you keep saying flights or proof is required. That is not specified by IRCC. All they require is a Webform informing them that the person cannot travel within the validity of the document. As there is no end date given for the ban, that applies to anyone holding a COPR right now.
I just reread the statement and thought it said explain why you couldn’t travel and not that you couldn’t travel. That is my fault I would still be attaching proof that I had made preparations to come to Canada before their COPR expired. Given that the system is so overwhelmed those who have 6 weeks can wait a week or two and wait and see what will happen. At that time they may get a faster response Others have COPR expiry dates 3-8 months away and they are also sending webforms asking for extensions. Not an emergency to contact CIC right away and the ban may be over before their COPR expires. Would imagine they are only giving out extension if your expiry date is in the next month. Sure others will post if they got extensions or not. For those who have time would just wait to see what is happening and let the rush of webforms being processed to die down a bit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Has anyone that have raised a web form received any info as what CIC is saying about extensions of COPR due to ban restrictions.imposed by Canadaand not the applicant fault.since flight and apt have already been made
Sure - lots of people have and are still waiting for answers. IRCC is flooded with questions right now so will likely take time to get a response.

mmahedihasan

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
COPR holders cannot fly during this travel ban.

This is an official reply from Singapore VISA office regarding COPR holders, hope it at least gives you a definite answer to this puzzle:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry to the migration Section of the High Commission of Canada in Singapore.

Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days. This means that you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country. Please note that if you have not yet landed as a permanent resident, you are considered a foreigner and do not have permanent resident status.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

For latest Covid-19 travel information, please refer to: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#f and https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

We understand that given the current situation you may be unable to travel before the expiry of your visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). Once the above travel restrictions have been removed and you are able to travel to Canada please contact us and we will instruct you then on how to proceed to have a new visa and COPR issued.

We hope this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) / Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada (IRCC) / ML
High Commission of Canada, Singapore / Haut commissariat du Canada, Singapour
Website | Site Web: www.canada.ca/immigration | www.singapore.gc.ca
Webform: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just reread the statement and thought it said explain why you couldn’t travel and not that you couldn’t travel. That is my fault I would still be attaching proof that I had made preparations to come to Canada before their COPR expired. Given that the system is so overwhelmed those who have 6 weeks can wait a week or two and wait and see what will happen. At that time they may get a faster response Others have COPR expiry dates 3-8 months away and they are also sending webforms asking for extensions. Not an emergency to contact CIC right away and the ban may be over before their COPR expires. Would imagine they are only giving out extension if your expiry date is in the next month. Sure others will post if they got extensions or not. For those who have time would just wait to see what is happening and let the rush of webforms being processed to die down a bit.
That would be your personal choice. The point is that proof is not required and people who had not booked flights or made any preparations to come to Canada yet still qualify for extensions.

I disagree that people should wait, especially anyone who has a COPR expiring within a few months. They should be proactive and get the Webform submitted now, regardless of how long it takes to be processed by IRCC and regardless of when the ban might be up. Even if the ban is lifted before their COPR expires, it may still not be enough time to make arrangements, get flights, get out of their country etc. It is better to notify IRCC now.

Reactions: Buletruck

atit

Jan 20, 2014
Let IRCC know that you might not be able to travel by the expiry because of the border closure through their webform. IRCC says that they would reply to the webform in 2-5 business days and they sure should reply. I sent one yesterday, I hoping to get a. Response by end of this week, I have an account expiry in 30th April and pretty sure I cannot travel within that with this situation
I have sent the webform before 2 days. Just hoping to get reply and suddenly they introduced this travel ban. Is this will affect us?

mandy7599

Mar 19, 2020

Roger Heeralal

Mar 18, 2020
I
Just hope immigration will be understanding and give people extensions since it is not our fault we cannot get into the country.but due to a ban .instead of having to go through that cost for medicals and background check and wait.

atit

Jan 20, 2014
The travel ban seems to remain effective until 30 June 2020.

Effective period

 This Order has effect for the period beginning at noon Eastern Daylight Time on March 18, 2020 and ending at noon Eastern Daylight Time on June 30, 2020.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en&fbclid=IwAR3_5tRIZkRy-Fn9mKGr9E3HkwMCji8cgS3PEW5ymHWkvCBcYWM0ZxhKWcA
But it states that immediate member can travel right?

So my wife can come as I'm already here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But it states that immediate member can travel right?

So my wife can come as I'm already here?
If you are a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, then yes.