+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid 19 travel restrictions

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

I hold a copr and PR visa that was issued before march 2020 and expires at 12th of november 2020, so i am exempted from travel restrictions.

However, IRCC also mentions on official site that copr holders who travel should have the intention to settle permanently and travelling to finish permanent residency application formalities is not a valid reason for travel right now!

Does this mean it will be a problem if i land for 14 days (quarantine) and then leave?

NB: i am not ready yet to permanently settle and if i dont soft land now, i risk my visa expiring and going through lengthy procedures for a copr & PR extension.

Please advise me,

Thanks.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, if you plan to leave after 14 days they will not allow you to enter Canada. You need to actually settle in Canada or apply to extend your COPR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hold a copr and PR visa that was issued before march 2020 and expires at 12th of november 2020, so i am exempted from travel restrictions.

However, IRCC also mentions on official site that copr holders who travel should have the intention to settle permanently and travelling to finish permanent residency application formalities is not a valid reason for travel right now!

Does this mean it will be a problem if i land for 14 days (quarantine) and then leave?

NB: i am not ready yet to permanently settle and if i dont soft land now, i risk my visa expiring and going through lengthy procedures for a copr & PR extension.

Please advise me,

Thanks.
Technically although others have entered. It is unclear whether Canada will get tougher on enforcement.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hopefully when this pandemic has passed the Government will revisit this policy of individuals going thru the whole permanent residence process and only soft landing without a firm date in mind of becoming permanent. Or they should just rename COPR to POPR ( Possibility of Permanent Residence)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think the whole citizenship process needs to reevaluated. We essentially give away citizenship for nothing. 3 years and you can have healthcare for life, discounted schooling for your children, etc. Huge potential liabilities for only 3 years and you don’t even have to be working for those 3 years. Times have changed. People no longer remain in one city or country for their whole lives, people work remotely, people live a lot longer, etc. Our PR and citizenship policy doesn’t reflects this. We essentially are welcoming people to get Canadian citizenship as an insurance or retirement plan. Would add that the loophole of PRs returning because they were removed as a minor also needs to be closed unless families and children have actually spent a considerable amount of time in Canada. The Canadian border also needs to start enforcing immigration rules. I understand that it isn’t their job but it is known as a weak link so many not meeting their RO seems to head for the US border. Sorry rant over. Clearly the heat is getting to me:)

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Think the whole citizenship process needs to reevaluated. We essentially give away citizenship for nothing. 3 years and you can have healthcare for life, discounted schooling for your children, etc. Huge potential liabilities for only 3 years and you don’t even have to be working for those 3 years. Times have changed. People no longer remain in one city or country for their whole lives, people work remotely, people live a lot longer, etc. Our PR and citizenship policy doesn’t reflects this. We essentially are welcoming people to get Canadian citizenship as an insurance or retirement plan. Would add that the loophole of PRs returning because they were removed as a minor also needs to be closed unless families and children have actually spent a considerable amount of time in Canada. The Canadian border also needs to start enforcing immigration rules. I understand that it isn’t their job but it is known as a weak link so many not meeting their RO seems to head for the US border. Sorry rant over. Clearly the heat is getting to me:)
Everything else aside, this is why I have no sympathy for those who haven't met their RO.

KamilJad

Jul 25, 2020
Technically although others have entered. It is unclear whether Canada will get tougher on enforcement.
U mean, up to this moment, others that you know of, have already landed and left Canada (soft landed) without facing any issues?