+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19 Is my brother immediate family?

BeeA

Apr 26, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen, sponsored my mom and brother successfully for Permanent residence. My mom has landed, but my brother is yet to land. He wad to fly in today but his flight was cancelled.

So I'm wondering, will my brother be considered immediate family under these restrictions?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I disagree. If he has a COPR and can find a flight he should be able to land. If not covered right away he needs to try and find a medical insurance plan that covers him and prepare for 14 days of quarantine away from the rest of the family.

Reactions: DiiDii

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Canadian citizen, sponsored my mom and brother successfully for Permanent residence. My mom has landed, but my brother is yet to land. He wad to fly in today but his flight was cancelled.

So I'm wondering, will my brother be considered immediate family under these restrictions?
If there is the chance that he can fly before the restriction comes into place on Wednesday, he should.

IRCC's definition of immediate family members is generally limited to spouses/common-law partners and dependent children. As of right now, the information regarding the entry restrictions states that immediate family members of Canadian citizens are exempt but doesn't mention Canadian PRs. If the exemption includes PRs, then presumably your brother would qualify as the dependent child of his PR mother and be able to travel to Canada when the restrictions come into effect.

sri_ankit

Star Member
Mar 14, 2019
Thanks everyone who responded. We were able to get him on another flight and he landed today.
That’s great. Congratulations. My wife is flying tomorrow and I hope there’s gonna be no issue at all. Can you please suggest if there was any questions or documents asked during immigration? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
That’s great. Congratulations. My wife is flying tomorrow and I hope there’s gonna be no issue at all. Can you please suggest if there was any questions or documents asked during immigration? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It is not only immigration have to be concerned with it is whether the airline checkin will deny boarding or not at source based on the instructions/ban detailed in following link..

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Reactions: armoured

Zettty1980

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Thanks everyone who responded. We were able to get him on another flight and he landed today.
Oh really? They let your brother in? That's great. Husband got his confirmation of permanent residence on Monday. Do you think they will let him in?

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
Oh really? They let your brother in? That's great. Husband got his confirmation of permanent residence on Monday. Do you think they will let him in?
Try as soon as possible. They said if you can get a flight and you have your documents. Try before it changes again

Reactions: Zettty1980

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to clarify here that the guidance issued about banning all but citizens or PRs is a deny boarding instruction not a deny entry instruction although in effect same thing, instructions not clearly worded as usual by IRCC. So taken literally if someone managed to board a plane before 3/18 at 12pm EST then worst case they might be expected to self isolate for 14 days after arrival.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Zettty1980

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Just to clarify here that the guidance issued about banning all but citizens or PRs is a deny boarding instruction not a deny entry instruction although in effect same thing, instructions not clearly worded as usual by IRCC. So taken literally if someone managed to board a plane before 3/18 at 12pm EST then worst case they might be expected to self isolate for 14 days after arrival.

So from what I can understand from your write up, even if my husband get a flight he may not be allowed in?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Important note, the measures took effect yesterday, the 18th. Formally at noon eastern standard time (Ottawa time) as I understand.

So a warning: I'm very happy some have been successful (it seems) but we can't rely on successful cases of entry going forward. CBSA and others can be lenient in some respects especially during transition periods, which they may even extend beyond the date/hour of a new policy coming into effect.

Or short form: if it worked yesterday or today or tomorrow, it does NOT mean it will work a month from now. CBSA officers have some discretion - so they might be lenient, but they might not. The airlines are a separate risk factor.

Formal, published regs and instructions can usually be relied upon. Everything else can be a risk.

Reactions: DiiDii

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Important note, the measures took effect yesterday, the 18th. Formally at noon eastern standard time (Ottawa time) as I understand.

So a warning: I'm very happy some have been successful (it seems) but we can't rely on successful cases of entry going forward. CBSA and others can be lenient in some respects especially during transition periods, which they may even extend beyond the date/hour of a new policy coming into effect.

Or short form: if it worked yesterday or today or tomorrow, it does NOT mean it will work a month from now. CBSA officers have some discretion - so they might be lenient, but they might not. The airlines are a separate risk factor.

Formal, published regs and instructions can usually be relied upon. Everything else can be a risk.
I am confused by this moment, because if the wrong info is here, it’s easier for them to change or delete it
but about copr (it wasn`t news for some date but it`s rule) way:

Home Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Corporate information Publications and Manuals Operational instructions and guidelines Service delivery

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am confused by this moment, because if the wrong info is here, it’s easier for them to change or delete it
but about copr (it wasn`t news for some date but it`s rule) way:

Home Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Corporate information Publications and Manuals Operational instructions and guidelines Service delivery
I do not think the info is wrong, even if a bit confusing.

It says: if a COPR can travel, they should use their existing COPR and visa to land. It does not say they can travel.

Yes, after this date, they clarified that only existing PRs can travel. Separately we know that COPR holders are not PRs (yet).

I am not trying to lawyer-language out of this. I'm just saying it is technically correct until they publish more detailed instructions or modify this. (And yes, I wish the language was more clear)

Reactions: Belarusian