+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cover letter

rhea_25

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Hi, from reading on internet, many say a cover letter is good idea and so we plan to do one for our common law sponsorship to canada but WHERE do you put it so that the VO sees it first? Inside the QUESTIONNAIRE as first page on top? And would it go in sponsors or applicants form?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Where have you read that? If it's not on the required document list, I wouldn't waste my time. You need to focus on proving 12 months of continuous co-habitation. You either have it, or you don't. That's where your priority lies.

rhea_25

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
I know not required but I read it is good idea to include and does sound good to do see here
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/7-essential-elements-in-a-sponsorship-cover-letter/

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That's a VERY generic statement concerning "applying under ONE of" Canada's many immigration categories. Maybe it applies to other categories. But for "spousal sponsorship", I say "bulls&%t"!

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
rhea_25 said:
I know not required but I read it is good idea to include and does sound good to do see here
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/7-essential-elements-in-a-sponsorship-cover-letter/
That post on the link to the website you provided is over 3 years old and they're trying to sell you their business, which you don't need, it's just lining the pockets of fat cats who have already made enough money from selling false hopes to those wishing to emigrate. I wouldn't waste your time, mate. I looked through loads of similar websites when I was applying for permanent residency and the majority of them are as bad as each other, they contradict each other and make you sick with worry that you've either done too much or haven't done enough. Stick to what CIC tell you to do, after all, they're the only ones you've gotta prove your relationship too, not some lawyers already sitting on a pot of gold!

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
truesmile said:
That's a VERY generic statement concerning "applying under ONE of" Canada's many immigration categories. Maybe it applies to other categories. But for "spousal sponsorship", I say "bulls&%t"!
I agree. The VO has enough stuff to look through without adding unnecessary pages. If CIC wanted a cover letter they would have included it in the required documents checklist.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
At the end of the Sponsor Questionnaire and the Sponsored Spouse Partner Questionnaire, there is a statement that asks you to provide a letter giving any further details of your relationship that you think might be helpful. I considered this to be the equivalent of a cover letter, where I gave an overview of the relationship and the evidence provided.

You can put a cover letter if you want. You can do as I mentioned above. It won't hurt, though it may not help either.

rhea_25

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
canadianwoman said:
At the end of the Sponsor Questionnaire and the Sponsored Spouse Partner Questionnaire, there is a statement that asks you to provide a letter giving any further details of your relationship that you think might be helpful. I considered this to be the equivalent of a cover letter, where I gave an overview of the relationship and the evidence provided.

You can put a cover letter if you want. You can do as I mentioned above. It won't hurt, though it may not help either.
Thanks Canadianwoman - sounds good - thats what we will do, just include cover type letter at end of Questionnaire form along with the love letter etc We want to explain to them that we have no friends here, so almost all pics are just 2 of us. it is not our fault. is just our circumstances we both far from family/friends. we keep in touch on FB and they all support our relationship 100%

MelissaJohn

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Cape Breton
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
Doc's Request.
14-06-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Med's Done....
December 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
2-08-2016
LANDED..........
13-9-2016
I included a cover letter on mine, I put it in our application after the barcodes and checklist.
The cover letter I believe is a good idea because you can explain ahead of time any issues a visa officer may see that may raise questions, That aren't just about your relationship.

Here is mine as an example of why I think it is helpful to the officers, and how I wrote it up.

Out of Canada Sponsorship Visa Cover Letter
Name of Sponsor
Birthday & Address of Sponsor
Name of Sponsered Spouse
Birthday & Address of Sponsored Spouse
APPLYING UNDER SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP
To whom it may concern,
I _______________ a Canadian Citizen by birth. I am filing these forms in order to sponsor my husband ________________ under the Family Class Sponsorship.
Below are some facts that will help verify some questions or concerns you may have withing the application.

(1) Names- My husband has a different name on his birth certificate than the name that everyone calls him, so on our chat logs and skype calls his name is John. But on his official documents, it is his birth name. Visa officers might believe the chat logs do not belong to him if I don't explain how he has two names.

(2) Financial- I was in my husband's country during this process unemployed, so I let them know I have jobs waiting in Canada to be able to finance him. (This is good to read before they look at my income for the year so they aren't confused about why it is so little because I moved half-way through the year)

Relationship Outline

Write a brief description on how you met, no need to be detailed in the cover letter because it is another question in the application.

Plans up arrival in Canada

Write a description of where you will live, work/study etc.

Thank you for taking your time to consider our sponsorship.

I know it isn't necessary but if you have little issues like I did that weren't just pertaining to the relationship part of the application then a cover letter clears that all up before they get started, and they won't have to write notes on things you already explained that they might have had to read through pages to find out answers too. It wouldn't hurt you to write it out if it makes you feel better about it. I believe the will look at a cover letter seeing as it is the first thing they will view that isn't a generic application page, at least you will have comfort knowing you explained everything that could raise questions.

Hope that helps

Reactions: jdCanadian

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi guys, so basically what should the order of the package be? For now, I was thinking of doing this:
1. Cover letter to whole app.
2. Sponsor checklist, receipt of paid fees, and then forms (with barcodes on top of the forms?) and documents.
3. Sponsored person's checklist, then forms (with IMM 0008 barcode on top of IMM 0008), then documents.
4. Relationship and cohabitation proof.

Is such an arrangement ok? Or am I reading this right from what you say here, that the barcodes for both sponsor and sponsored person should be just under the checklists for sponsored and sponsored spouse, and only then the sponsor's forms and docs, and the sponsored person's forms and docs, and the cover letter somewhere buried in the sponsored spouse's forms?

SAMANTALA

Dec 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lady_Ashka said:
Hi guys, so basically what should the order of the package be? For now, I was thinking of doing this:
1. Cover letter to whole app.
2. Sponsor checklist, receipt of paid fees, and then forms (with barcodes on top of the forms?) and documents.
3. Sponsored person's checklist, then forms (with IMM 0008 barcode on top of IMM 0008), then documents.
4. Relationship and cohabitation proof.

Is such an arrangement ok? Or am I reading this right from what you say here, that the barcodes for both sponsor and sponsored person should be just under the checklists for sponsored and sponsored spouse, and only then the sponsor's forms and docs, and the sponsored person's forms and docs, and the cover letter somewhere buried in the sponsored spouse's forms?
Hi there :)

I'm the sponsored person. What we did was barcode first then checklist and documents. For the cover or introduction letter, I put it after the checklist before they check the forms. Our case is complicated too, the first application was refused due to my sponsor divorce date so they do not recognize our marriage in the philippines, I wrote that introduction letter to explain how come we got married without his divorce, how did it happened here. We are applying Common law this time.

rhea_25

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
MelissaJohn said:
I included a cover letter on mine, I put it in our application after the barcodes and checklist.
The cover letter I believe is a good idea because you can explain ahead of time any issues a visa officer may see that may raise questions, That aren't just about your relationship.

Here is mine as an example of why I think it is helpful to the officers, and how I wrote it up.

Out of Canada Sponsorship Visa Cover Letter
Name of Sponsor
Birthday & Address of Sponsor
Name of Sponsered Spouse
Birthday & Address of Sponsored Spouse
APPLYING UNDER SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP
To whom it may concern,
I _______________ a Canadian Citizen by birth. I am filing these forms in order to sponsor my husband ________________ under the Family Class Sponsorship.
Below are some facts that will help verify some questions or concerns you may have withing the application.

(1) Names- My husband has a different name on his birth certificate than the name that everyone calls him, so on our chat logs and skype calls his name is John. But on his official documents, it is his birth name. Visa officers might believe the chat logs do not belong to him if I don't explain how he has two names.

(2) Financial- I was in my husband's country during this process unemployed, so I let them know I have jobs waiting in Canada to be able to finance him. (This is good to read before they look at my income for the year so they aren't confused about why it is so little because I moved half-way through the year)

Relationship Outline

Write a brief description on how you met, no need to be detailed in the cover letter because it is another question in the application.

Plans up arrival in Canada

Write a description of where you will live, work/study etc.

Thank you for taking your time to consider our sponsorship.

I know it isn't necessary but if you have little issues like I did that weren't just pertaining to the relationship part of the application then a cover letter clears that all up before they get started, and they won't have to write notes on things you already explained that they might have had to read through pages to find out answers too. It wouldn't hurt you to write it out if it makes you feel better about it. I believe the will look at a cover letter seeing as it is the first thing they will view that isn't a generic application page, at least you will have comfort knowing you explained everything that could raise questions.

Hope that helps

This sounds very good. helps much! but i confused about bar codes, where do we put these? i was thinking had to paste or tape them on the envelopes? and was your cover letter in an envelope that contained all the application forms and in sponsor or applicant forms? thank you!

MelissaJohn

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Cape Breton
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
Doc's Request.
14-06-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Med's Done....
December 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
2-08-2016
LANDED..........
13-9-2016
We had 3 envelopes that we put into one big envelope when we were finished labeled like this:

1.) Sponsor Application (Put Sponsors Name)
2.) Sponsored Spouse Application (Put Principle Applicants name)
3.) Supporting Documents

I printed the barcodes out on a regular piece of printer paper, it says on the CIC site to put the barcodes on top of the whole application.
I believe you get a set of barcodes for the sponsor's application and for the sponsored partner.

Sponsors Envelope was in this order.

1.) Printed page of barcodes
2.) Document Check List
3.) Cover letter
4.) Application.

We didn't put the cover letter in the Principal applicant envelope #2 because they review the sponsor first so this is where they would see the cover letter. You could if you would like to add the cover letter to both envelopes in the same order to make sure not only the Canadian Mississauga officer sees it but also your country's visa officer sees it as well. This is how we did ours, and we had no interview with our application I believe because we answered all questions they could have had issues with in our cover letter.

Good Luck! :)

Reactions: jdCanadian

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Ok, thanks! So you're saying:

In the sponsor's package
1.BOTH barcodes (for sponsor and sponsored person (or is there only a set for sponsored person?)),
2. then checklists for BOTH sponsor and sponsored person? Or just the sponsor?
3. And then cover letter to the whole application,
4. and then the sponsor's package

In the sponsored person's package:
1. cover letter to the whole app again?
2. the sponsored person's package?

Or like this:
0. Barcodes on the very very top of everything (for both?)
1. Checklist for sponsor only
2. Cover letter to the whole application
3. Sponsor's package
4. (barcodes for the sponsored person again? or nothing)
5. checklist for the sponsored person
6. cover letter for the whole app (same as for sponsor)
7. sponsored person's package

Option nr. 2 seems better to me, but I wonder whether the sponsor's and sponsored person's barcodes and checklists should all go to the very top, or whether only the sponsor's should be on top and the sponsored person's after the sponsor package, or maybe all barcodes should be on the top, then the sponsor's checklist and cover letter and docs, and then the sponsored person's checklist, cover letter, and docs?