AOR Received.
23-09-2016
File Transfer...
03-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-06-2016
We wrote a cover letter, since some said it was a good idea and I figured it can't hurt.
Our order was (all together in one envelope):
Cover letter
Sponsors package:
Barcode page
Checklist
Forms
Supporting documents requested in forms
Principle applicants package:
Barcode page
Checklist
Forms
Additional supporting documents (appendices) such as photographs, letter explaining our plans to move to Canada etc

This seemed to us the most logical and organized way of doing it. In the end I'm not sure it really matters since apparently they reorganize the whole thing the way they want it anyway.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
BCgirl_inNL said:
We wrote a cover letter, since some said it was a good idea and I figured it can't hurt.
Our order was (all together in one envelope):
Cover letter
Sponsors package:
Barcode page
Checklist
Forms
Principle applicants package:
Barcode page
Checklist
Forms
Additional supporting documents (appendices) such as photographs, letter explaining our plans to move to Canada etc

This seemed to us the most logical and organized way of doing it. In the end I'm not sure it really matters since apparently they reorganize the whole thing the way they want it anyway.
Hi BCgirl, thanks for your reply! I was actually thinking of doing the same (except we have the whole relationship and cohabitation proof in one envelope, the third after sponsor and sponsored person's packages), the only thing I am worried about is that if I put the cover letter first I might enrage/confuse the officer opening the whole package because they say the barcode (or checklist, can't remember which one) page is supposed to be on the top of the application, and I guess I'd be worried whether they wouldn't immediately send the whole thing back, but I guess that is unlikely, I assume they would first look through the contents? What do you think?

BCgirl_inNL

Star Member
Aug 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna -> changed to Ottawa!
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
AOR Received.
23-09-2016
File Transfer...
03-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-06-2016
Lady_Ashka said:
Hi BCgirl, thanks for your reply! I was actually thinking of doing the same (except we have the whole relationship and cohabitation proof in one envelope, the third after sponsor and sponsored person's packages), the only thing I am worried about is that if I put the cover letter first I might enrage/confuse the officer opening the whole package because they say the barcode (or checklist, can't remember which one) page is supposed to be on the top of the application, and I guess I'd be worried whether they wouldn't immediately send the whole thing back, but I guess that is unlikely, I assume they would first look through the contents? What do you think?
Ha-ha, yeah we stressed a lot about the order too. You read so many stories about how picky they are about little things. It could be that the person opening the package doesn't even read the cover letter but just rearranges everything in the "proper"order and then makes copies of everything... In that case the barcode pages are probably most important since it tells them what kind of application, etc. We opted for the cover letter first since it gives our application a more human side rather than just a number. Who knows, maybe they just chucked it ::)
We also put small sticky post-it notes on the side to identify the different sections. Sponsor forms, Sponsor supporting documents, Sponsored spouse forms, Sponsored spouse supporting documents, Appendices.
We didn't use any staples only a few paper clips for documents which needed to stay together. And everything went into one envelope. We were also worried about getting a grumpy officer!
Good luck!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It might annoy the visa officer. It will not enrage him or her, and they will not send the application back because of the placement of the cover letter.
What they really do not want is too much packaging. Separate envelopes or folders are OK, but they will be thrown out - for me, they are really just a way to keep the application organized while you are dealing with it, and to keep it organized during mailing. But don't put things in binders, or a lot of separate plastic covers, and so on.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Yes, that's also why I put all the evidence into separate folders - I just want the officers to be able to tell at a glance what the application contains exactly, and of course it's ok if they throw out, shred, or re-arrange any documents and folders as they please. I just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what he have and how much, and where, and weather we did not miss anything. So I guess what I'll do is I'll put the cover letter under the sponsor's barcodes and checklist, but before the sponsor package, which will be followed by my barcode page, checklist, and then a copy of the cover letter, and then followed by my package (forms and documents). Evidence is placed in the third part of the application, in 7 envelopes with folders inside them (which contain proof of cohabitation and relationship). I just need to maybe take out some of the evidence (the pile is currently 9 inches thick, though some of it is just the binder clips, etc), so that the officer looking at it is not startled :/

BCgirl_inNL

Star Member
Aug 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
AOR Received.
23-09-2016
File Transfer...
03-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-06-2016
Lady_Ashka said:
Yes, that's also why I put all the evidence into separate folders - I just want the officers to be able to tell at a glance what the application contains exactly, and of course it's ok if they throw out, shred, or re-arrange any documents and folders as they please. I just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what he have and how much, and where, and weather we did not miss anything. So I guess what I'll do is I'll put the cover letter under the sponsor's barcodes and checklist, but before the sponsor package, which will be followed by my barcode page, checklist, and then a copy of the cover letter, and then followed by my package (forms and documents). Evidence is placed in the third part of the application, in 7 envelopes with folders inside them (which contain proof of cohabitation and relationship). I just need to maybe take out some of the evidence (the pile is currently 9 inches thick, though some of it is just the binder clips, etc), so that the officer looking at it is not startled :/
Putting the cover letter after the barcode pages sounds good to me. But make sure not to use any folders. I'm pretty sure envelopes are okay but they specifically say on the CIC website not to use folders. I even read of one person on here getting their whole application sent back for missing documents because they had put them in a folder!! :eek:

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
These are the ones I used:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+folder&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiR1KDorJHPAhWN3oMKHc3mDjEQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=plastic+transparent+folder&imgrc=oou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A

I hope that's ok.... They're all transparent, so the way I packed it looks as follows:

One of these expandable plastic transparent folders ("envelopes"): https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+folder&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiR1KDorJHPAhWN3oMKHc3mDjEQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=plastic+transparent+folder&imgdii=oou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A%3Boou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A%3BnKyLO8qrQoCevM%3A&imgrc=oou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A
in which I've put the sponsor package, did the same for the sponsored person's package.

For relationship and cohabitation proof, I've used 7 of these expandable transparent folders ("envelopes") into which all the evidence is categorized, and inside it is divided into these transparent folders: https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+folder&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiR1KDorJHPAhWN3oMKHc3mDjEQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=plastic+transparent+folder&imgdii=oou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A%3Boou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A%3B1gRwRyF4e1f9bM%3A&imgrc=oou_uTvCJwUA9M%3A for instance like this: for 'Travel together' in the big transparent expandable folder (envelope) there are 5 of these smaller transparent folders in each of which are details from each trip we took. All folders used in the application, both those "envelopes" and folders inside them, are labled. Are you suggesting they will return this application?????

BCgirl_inNL

Star Member
Aug 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
AOR Received.
23-09-2016
File Transfer...
03-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-06-2016
Hi Lady_Ashka
It would be really ridiculous if they did return it because of that, but like I said I read about one person on this forum who had his whole application returned because he had "missing" documents which weren't missing at all but rather were in a separate folder. I was thinking of using those transparent folders too but in the end decided not to just to be safe. Did you already send your application in? If so just keep your fingers crossed :) otherwise I would skip the folders, just in case the officer is in a bad mood and trying to make a point... :( The envelopes should be fine though.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
No, I didn't send it in yet. For the documents in the sponsor and sponsored person's package I'll just put in everything loosely into envelopes then, but for the evidence I don't know how else to do it, the folders are 9 inches thick in total...
Thanks for the tip, though!

and good luck with your app!:)