+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COURSE CHANGE AND PR

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi.

Can someone please tell me from their experiences.. if you change your course from PG CERTIFICATE course of two years to post secondary DIPLOMA of two years in same college, then is it possible to get PR after three year PGWP?? That is, Can PR be denied based on the fact that one does not continue the course they initially got the student visa for?

Experts please help.. thanks in advance

wJaz

Aug 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i was watching the Quebec website for this pupose and I think there is a condition that you cant change ur your course once you get in for something. (for PR purpose)

dont know about other states. Check it out on their individual websites

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi.. thanks for ur reply.
Im quite sure you can change the course.. in ontario atleast..

But i wanted to know if changing course could have a negative impact on my PR chances in future.
The agency im consulting here told me that it will definitely affect my PR chances in future and they will deny it based on the fact that i didnt continue with the course that i initially got my student visa for. Or because of change of study field. Since my main aim is PR please advice me if i should change or not ??though i really want to change the course based on my interest..

If someone could give me their opinions please and tell me if changing my course will hamper my chances of getting PR in future.
Thanks.. hoping to get some help from the experts

tiger007

Champion Member
doylia said:
if you change your course from PG CERTIFICATE course of two years to post secondary DIPLOMA of two years in same college, then is it possible to get PR after three year PGWP?? That is, Can PR be denied based on the fact that one does not continue the course they initially got the student visa for?

Experts please help.. thanks in advance
Hi,
Changing course or field of study won't affect your PGWP or PR. As long as you study a 2 acd. years/4 sem/min. 16 months of actual study from a recognized post secondary educational institute in Canada, you will be eligible for a 3 years PGWP.

Once you complete the course, only then you can think of immigration. PR, depends on what type of job you get, how long you work... and most importantly which province and/or immigration programme you choose to apply under.
To know more about various student immigration programmes, check the official links:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.0.html;msg1383038#msg1383038

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

luckymain

Oct 10, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2012
IELTS Request
L,W,R-5.5 S-7 overall 6.0
File Transfer...
22-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-12
LANDED..........
28-12-2012
there is no probe bro if u get good marks in new course nd worked
if ur racket is gud u will definatly get PR
my frnd came canada 3 yr back in course for engineering and aftr reaching here he chnged course to HRM frm engineeerng nd get gud marks in HRM nd worked
few days back on baisakhi 12 jan he got PR.!!!

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi..Thanks Tiger and @luckymain for ur valuable responses.
And thanks a lot for providing the link Tiger..its definately going to help me n many others. Thankyou so much.

Could you also clear to me that are there any specific occupations related to getting PR under CEC or u can work in any field or occupation? I was told that u get PR only if you r working in some particular field or list of occupations..like which is given on cic.gc.ca website and this list changes every year..??
Thanks again..

tiger007

Champion Member
doylia said:
Could you also clear to me that are there any specific occupations related to getting PR under CEC or u can work in any field or occupation? I was told that u get PR only if you r working in some particular field or list of occupations..like which is given on cic.gc.ca website and this list changes every year..??
Thanks again..
Hi,

Under Federal CEC for international/foreign students, one needs to work continuously for 12 months full time (or an equal amount in part-time) in ANY skilled job - NOC O, A or B categories, after graduating from a recognized post secondary educational institute in Canada before being eligible to apply.
To know more see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

The specific occupations you are talking about, is associated with Federal Skilled Workers, and as of now, the specific occupation list for FSW 2013 is not out yet.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.