+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

course change after approval

jaskiratsingh

Star Member
Apr 7, 2018
My friend applied for visa on 24 Feb for 1 yr program.
Got Aip on 14 August for September intake.
After getting aip my friend applied for a deferral to January intake. However, the same program was not available and college gave an option to either defer by 1 year or take a full refund of the fees. My friend then applied for another program which of 2 yr in length.

On 8 Dec he got approval for 1-year program and got his pp stamped.
I want to ask if he shows his new loa at the port of entry will it create any issue for him?
If he shows his new loa, will he be able to manage to get a study permit of 2 years in length?
if not, can he extend his permit and visa after entering Canada?

Reactions: Neetu Dhillon

ChaChaVidhayakHain

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
So "your friend" and you both happen to change your course after AIP: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/program-change-after-aip.711821/ ??

Anyways you have to keep IRCC updated with whatever changes are made to your profile. However, there is an option of changing courses/schools even after you get a visa so you might be safe. Although I'm against consulting visa agents, you might want to get in contact with one cause they may have seen such cases earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: wonderbly

ChaChaVidhayakHain

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
So "your friend" and you both happen to change your course after AIP: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/program-change-after-aip.711821/ ??

Anyways you have to keep IRCC updated with whatever changes are made to your profile. However, there is an option of changing courses/schools even after you get a visa so you might be safe. Although I'm against consulting visa agents, you might want to get in contact with one cause they may have seen such cases earlier.
I've stopped questioning these "my friend" scenarios :D :D .

OP, you (and/or your friend) can update your DLI on your IRCC account prior to leaving for Canada (as long as school and course level are acceptable). You should also update IRCC via webform.

No need to consult an agent for this IMO. Look around the forums, we've discussed this quite a bit lately.

Reactions: ChaChaVidhayakHain

ChaChaVidhayakHain

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

As per this link, you need to be in Canada and pursuing your course before changing your program. Please contact an agent ASAP.
@wonderbly but my concern is this? Will this not cause an issue?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
@wonderbly but my concern is this? Will this not cause an issue?
That, no one can tell for sure.
For example, someone who chose on the application, initially to go for nursing lets say.
But on arrival, present an LOA for Civil Engineering, ofcourse it's gonna raise a red flag.

Again, it all depends on the visa officer, they may ask questions to why they're changing courses, if the real reason is no course being available, they might ask why didn't you defer etc.

If someone is going across the world initially based on one program, and shows up at the border changing minds, ofcourse they will be subject to questioning.

If you have valid reasons, no issues.
Once in Canada, people change course, and field of study, I've done the same and applied for SP Ext with no issues.

jaskiratsingh

Star Member
Apr 7, 2018
That, no one can tell for sure.
For example, someone who chose on the application, initially to go for nursing lets say.
But on arrival, present an LOA for Civil Engineering, ofcourse it's gonna raise a red flag.

Again, it all depends on the visa officer, they may ask questions to why they're changing courses, if the real reason is no course being available, they might ask why didn't you defer etc.

If someone is going across the world initially based on one program, and shows up at the border changing minds, ofcourse they will be subject to questioning.

If you have valid reasons, no issues.
Once in Canada, people change course, and field of study, I've done the same and applied for SP Ext with no issues.
I have completely understood your logic of explanation. Thanks for that.

My previous studies are from mechanical engineering background. My initial course was process quality engineering, which is of core mechanical field. However, the same was not available for the next intake or was closed during the deferral process. Therefore, I had to choose a mechanical design course. This course also comes in the core mechanical fields. I donot have any evil attentions. I just want to be a the part of the course that can help me in my further career.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I have completely understood your logic of explanation. Thanks for that.

My previous studies are from mechanical engineering background. My initial course was process quality engineering, which is of core mechanical field. However, the same was not available for the next intake or was closed during the deferral process. Therefore, I had to choose a mechanical design course. This course also comes in the core mechanical fields. I donot have any evil attentions. I just want to be a the part of the course that can help me in my further career.
Then you're fine, as I mentioned above, as long as it's relevant, you're good.

Reactions: wonderbly

amiray

Dec 17, 2020
Then you're fine, as I mentioned above, as long as it's relevant, you're good.
I would appreciate you if you let me know your opinion about this situation.

I was accepted into University A a couple of months ago, so I started the study permit application and it just got approved.
And now I got admission from university B and I want to go to university B. (A start in Jan 2021 and B will start in May 2021). Now I want to cancel A and Change DLI to B before landing. And land in May. Thus, I would appreciate you if you have experience with this situation If you let me know.
Also, I registered in A and I will cancel it.
both A and B are Ph.D. programs in the field of electrical engineering. B has better financial support.
Is there any issue in this case?

Thanks.

ChaChaVidhayakHain

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
My friend applied for visa on 24 Feb for 1 yr program.
Got Aip on 14 August for September intake.
After getting aip my friend applied for a deferral to January intake. However, the same program was not available and college gave an option to either defer by 1 year or take a full refund of the fees. My friend then applied for another program which of 2 yr in length.

On 8 Dec he got approval for 1-year program and got his pp stamped.
I want to ask if he shows his new loa at the port of entry will it create any issue for him?
If he shows his new loa, will he be able to manage to get a study permit of 2 years in length?
if not, can he extend his permit and visa after entering Canada?
Hey buddy! This will ease your worries.

Reactions: abinj

Odogwu_Nwoke

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
If you change your DLI while outside Canada, you have to still inform IRCC, in which case they'll have to reevaluate your eligibility to be sure your new DLI, course, financial situation and institutional location (the Quebec situation, for example) merit your being given a permit.

A student posted here last week about his permit being recalled after he changed his DLI while outside Canada. IRCC reevaluated his eligibility and reissued their approval after few days.